Advice/Input/Ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I've found myself with an interesting project and I'm finding it a little overwhelming. lol

My daughter really, at heart, wants to be a boy scout like her brother...but there aren't any programs that offer what she's looking for. So, she started designing her own...we started designing it together. I figured it would be a fun project and if she stayed interested maybe we'd even get a group going through the local homeschool group or something.

We're like a week into really working on it and word has spread and everyone wants in. There's a group starting based on whatever we've got written in June. That's great. It would be awesome if this took off into a real program. We *can* get enough of it put together for them by then on our own, but I'd love if anyone would take a look at the little bit we've got so far and there's a discussion section on the board you could give me input, or here, or in pm.

http://faeryscouts.wikispaces.com/

Then, there's the issue that the girls involved really want books to sign off on things like boy scouts has. There are a few ways to self publish something like that, but I've never self published. I'm not going to rush that part, but I do want to have it figured out before it comes time to make it happen. lol

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#2 of 4 Old 06-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think it looks really fun. I have a friend who does both girl scouts/brownies (they are their own troop leaders, so they can do more camping and less weaving acrylic yarn through a plastic fly-swatter like I did) and they also do a Fairy Circle with friends. They have sleep-overs (moms stay, too) and it sounds very sweet. We're not involved in either as they're both mostly homeschoolers and they don't fit with our schedule.

As for self-publishing the badge-books you could do that with LuLu if it turns out to be pretty big or my dd1's school did some sweet poetry books through shutterfly. You could probably just take 'em down to Kinkos/FedEx, too.

Good luck!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 4 Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 PM

Oh my gosh!!!!! I want to start one here!

I ALWAYS wanted to be a boy scout grouwing up. And now it looks like my daughter is following in my footsteps. Not for us the cake-baking, babysitting, gardening, cookie-selling girl scouts!!!

We want to tie knots and canoe and hike and build forts! The cool stuff.

If I can help at all, PM me. I have a lot of graphic design and writing experience.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#4 of 4 Old 06-13-2009, 01:26 AM

Maybe there's already a template out there that you can adapt? I have a friend in Ontario who is in an outdoor leisure group for children. According to her, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing," and they get out and about mid-winter to do assorted activities with the children. The program was designed by a Norwegian/Swedish mother, who knows her 'bad' weather and 'good' clothing. If you want me to put you in touch with her, please PM me for details.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page