Monthly news paper/digest ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently purchased a monthly newspaper of sorts (although it's more of a news digest) that is specific to the small town I live in. Three hundred copies are printed each month and about two hundred of those are mailed to subscribers with the remaining issues sold at local businesses here in town.

My first issue will be printed mid-June and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to add to the paper. The paper focuses on things that happen to local people, includes recipes, usually a feature or two, editorial (if necessary), letters to the editor, government related things (town meetings, etc.), a piece that looks back into the history of the town, obituaries, and a section that includes anything not fitting into the other categories. It's a people oriented paper and done in small tidbits that make people want to read. The problem is that it's more for older people.

If you were me and had this opportunity, what would you add to this publication? It ends up being about 16 pages long and is very well received with those familiar with it.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM

First, How Fun! That sounds like a great project/job!

One of our local papers has a high school sports column that's written by a local high school student. Maybe you could invite high school students to submit and write a regular column and/or articles.

Also, maybe you could have a monthly section with ideas and local activities that families could do with kids.

I would love to do something like that. Someday...
#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
First, How Fun! That sounds like a great project/job!

One of our local papers has a high school sports column that's written by a local high school student. Maybe you could invite high school students to submit and write a regular column and/or articles.

Also, maybe you could have a monthly section with ideas and local activities that families could do with kids.

I would love to do something like that. Someday...
It's surprisingly easy to do. And it doesn't take a whole lot of time. If you are serious about it, you can PM me and I can give you pointers and show you my format.

I am definitely going to look into the high school idea- it sounds great.

I also was thinking about a column "People you should know" or something like that.
#4 of 4 Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_mom View Post
It's surprisingly easy to do. And it doesn't take a whole lot of time. If you are serious about it, you can PM me and I can give you pointers and show you my format.
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I've got a lot of balls in the air as it is right now. It's definitely a dream of mine, but something that will have to happen a few years from now.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page