June Noveling - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies! : This has been a weird month for writing for me, and sounds like I may not be alone in that. lol. I thought my novel was dead in the water at just under 17000 words and felt adrift and floundering. So, I put it away for a week or so and just thought and waited. Seems that I was trying too hard, and had a goody two shoes element in the story that ended up feeling false, so I am revising, and the whole story is breathing again! *Hugs* to everyone through the ups and downs of writing, summertime, and mumhood! : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 AM

I'm stuck on a chapter. It's pure fiction and I have two paragraphs.

think I'll jump ahead to the non fiction chapter...maybe it'll work to give me some ideas.
#33 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post

I like behindthename.com for that because you can look up names by ethnicity pretty easily, so you can see names that came from the same root/tongue together.
Thanks for the link --- I may need that for a few characters who are crying out to be renamed.

So, do you feel an "in-person" writing group gets you better critiquing than one online? My novel is general fiction. I'm so scared to have anyone read my stuff (because it sucks); but also strangely paranoid that it's going to get ripped off, which seems more likely without a face to face interaction.
:

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#34 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissyStarfish View Post
So, I put it away for a week or so and just thought and waited. Seems that I was trying too hard, and had a goody two shoes element in the story that ended up feeling false, so I am revising, and the whole story is breathing again! *Hugs* to everyone through the ups and downs of writing, summertime, and mumhood! : :
Yay for finding a solution to your trouble! Hope you're still dashing along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I'm stuck on a chapter. It's pure fiction and I have two paragraphs.

think I'll jump ahead to the non fiction chapter...maybe it'll work to give me some ideas.
In the first draft of my novel I know I skipped a bunch of stuff that I couldn't quite figure out the first time through, then went back and filled in later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post
So, do you feel an "in-person" writing group gets you better critiquing than one online? My novel is general fiction. I'm so scared to have anyone read my stuff (because it sucks); but also strangely paranoid that it's going to get ripped off, which seems more likely without a face to face interaction. :
I think it depends on how the group forms. With Critters, it's an open workshop and anybody can join, which means you have people at all levels and some (in my experience, most!) of them have no idea how to do a good critique. At least half the crits I got where simply lists of typo corrections!

If you can get into a group that forms from, say, a class or workshop, then you at least know the other members have a certain basic level of knowledge, you know? I have a friend who has an online novel crit group that formed after a workshop that she loves. I was in an online post-workshop group for awhile, too, but there was 1 member I just could NOT stand, so that didn't work for me.

I do love my in-person group, but again, I think it's going to vary because groups form for different reasons and have different working methods. I would not, for example, join a group where manuscripts are read aloud often because I don't think that's a good way to present a manuscript that's intended to be read on paper. My group doesn't do that except when we have a just-for-fun challenge, about once a year. My group works well, I think, because everyone has the same goal (selling SF/F at the pro level) and because the personalities in the group work.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#35 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 PM

Allgirls - Thanks for the pointers on making goals for myself of 1 hour and 1 blog. That was really helpful... My mind doesn't like to make things that easy. Right now I'm over analyzing exercise and rest... what gives.

The names for my characters seem to just come to me. I'm writing from many real life characters in this novel. It is historical so some I rename and some I don't. They are my relatives and have all passed away, so I don't have a strong need to rename. Anyway, I find phone books helpful. I write regional pieces most of which are set in Appalachia (Kentucky) so my phone book gives me lots of ideas for names. Sometimes baby name books can be helpful.

I am working on my second novel idea only until it is finished. It is the one I got the grant for. It seems to be flowing much easier than when I attempted working on my 1st idea. I'm at 5,500 words and still writing chapter one, which seems promising to me. Having been to the places and writing with actual places in mind is so helpful. I think I should do that for all of my pieces. Write a real place, but rename it and change up things.

I'm hoping I can get a good work up of it in 5 months. That would be awesome.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#36 of 47 Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 AM

yes, now if I could stick to my own daily writing goals all would be good...lol.

I have to clean my house. I know it sounds crazy but I'm really going crazy knowing it's so messy. So I'm cleaning upstairs and then the downstairs and if I get time to write today, great, if not I'll have to deal because it's a mess. Otherwise, I'll write eventually.
#37 of 47 Old 06-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Hi! My novel has been dead in the water for a while. I was down with knee surgery (which ironically would have been a great time to write but I got nothing accomplished) and then found out I was pregnant, and well...you know how it goes.

I currently have 68,000 words and my novel is flowing along pretty well. I write because I love to write, I don't know if my writing is good enough to publish. Right now, my genre is SF/F but I have dabbled in a lot and will one day write my memoirs - my crowning masterpiece (said with a healthy dose of sarcasm).

Nice to meet all of you writing mamas!

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#38 of 47 Old 06-20-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

here's my two cents

* watch stretching out your sentences. "vibrations of the structure of the molecules"...condense, condense, condense

Here is my reworking ideas for the following:

"His energy penetrated the very walls of the rooms in which he occupied. You'd swear you could see molecular structural vibrations. You didn't just feel him in the room. You heard his voice. You paid attention. He had a presence - perhaps a charisma - though both terms seemed woefully inadequate. People either loved him or hated him. I loved him."

or second one

His energy penetrated the very walls of the rooms until you were certain you saw molecular structural vibrations. You heard his voice. You paid attention. He had a presence - perhaps a charisma - though both terms seemed woefully inadequate. People either loved him or hated him. I loved him.[/QUOTE]

personally, the second sounds more solid to me. Less words, more powerful descriptives. We already know he's in the room, so you don't really need to say that he's in the room.

I'm intrigued! I want to read more!!
#39 of 47 Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm going to wade back into the noveling with you girls this month, I think. I'm nearly 22 weeks pregnant now and finally can read/write again without wanting to hurl. Woohoo for me! Last night I sat down and revised chapter 4 (of 30) which was where I left off revisions back in March. I hate that I took so much time off doing NOTHING but on the other hand, the long break is probably good for my ability to see the novel with new eyes. Anyhow, that's what I'm telling myself.
welcome back!!
#40 of 47 Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 PM

My irl editor friend looked at that sample, made some changes and said "whatever you do, leave in the line "he did not inspire indifference" and everybody here took it out. She loved it.

I guess I'll have to make some decisions myself.

I haven't worked on the novel but I'll get back to it this week. It's been crazy busy buy my house is so much cleaner:
#41 of 47 Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll have to make some decisions myself.
Go with your gut and I'm sure it will work out.

A writing acquaintance who teaches a class for the workshop at the SF con kindly offered to review my synopsis for me. She liked the query letter & short synopsis alot but suggested trashing my whole long synopsis and re-writing it in a more "movie-trailer" sort of language, with less details and more excitement. So I'm trying that. So far I've mostly managed to convince myself I wasn't cut out to write movie trailers.

And in BIG EXCITING news my novel is a finalist in the PNWA Literary Contest (SF novel cateogry) so I'm very excited! There are 8 finalists total for each category. I have to send them a bio and a photo so they can plaster my head on posters at their summer conference.

On the DOWN side, I can't actually justify paying the $400 to go to the conference, even though it would be awesome (I went to one years ago and it really was fun), because I'm getting laid off and, well, going to a writing conference is kinda low on the necessity list. It would be $100 just for me and DH to go to the awards dinner (and the menu is composed entirely of things that make my pregnancy belly all pukey) so I'm not even sure we'll do that. Plus I'd probably have to buy a maternity dress and actually get my hair cut and so on so.... yeah, now I'm equal parts delighted and depressed.

#42 of 47 Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
And in BIG EXCITING news my novel is a finalist in the PNWA Literary Contest (SF novel cateogry) so I'm very excited! There are 8 finalists total for each category. I have to send them a bio and a photo so they can plaster my head on posters at their summer conference.

On the DOWN side, I can't actually justify paying the $400 to go to the conference, even though it would be awesome (I went to one years ago and it really was fun), because I'm getting laid off and, well, going to a writing conference is kinda low on the necessity list. It would be $100 just for me and DH to go to the awards dinner (and the menu is composed entirely of things that make my pregnancy belly all pukey) so I'm not even sure we'll do that. Plus I'd probably have to buy a maternity dress and actually get my hair cut and so on so.... yeah, now I'm equal parts delighted and depressed.
Congratulations, that's so awesome!!!! IMO you should honor yourself with the dinner, even if it makes you puke!!!

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#43 of 47 Old 06-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Congratulations and good luck Aufilia!

So I have almost 13,000 words done in my new novel. I think it will be short. But hey, when I start throwing in the descriptions and editing I'm sure it will get stronger. I like my characters and I love this story so I think this is the one!

Breeze
#44 of 47 Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
and if you win and aren't there?!?!? Do you win $? How would it look if you weren't there and won?
#45 of 47 Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So I have almost 13,000 words done in my new novel. I think it will be short. But hey, when I start throwing in the descriptions and editing I'm sure it will get stronger. I like my characters and I love this story so I think this is the one!

Breeze
congrats!
#46 of 47 Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm stuck in lover's hell!

chapter 8-9 is where they meet, chemistry sparks, and all that jazz...but for some reason, I SUCK at writing the beginning mechanisms that show that two people are into each other without it sounding like I'm a little teeny bopper giggling behind the scenes...

any suggestions? I'd post what I have, but I'm afraid of getting laughed at! LOL

if anyone wants to take a stab at it, I'd be happy to do it on the low-down, like via PM... I won't send the whole thing, just tid bits that I think are ok...but I'm not sure

See, the problem is...the MC is in her early thirties, but she really hasn't had ANY love interests since she was 15 (reasons explained in the first chapters)...so maybe this is OK to have her sound all giddy with a few nice big words thrown in for good measure...but I'm worried readers will feel like they are reading a love story written by a teenager who has no clue....BUT, then again, she kinda doesn't...and this is in 1st person POV...

hmmm...I think I may have just answered my own question...

if not, anyone interested in reading some? please PM me! THanks!
#47 of 47 Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:

Keep it up! FWIW my first draft was just about 55-60k (it's been long enough I can't remember offhand!) but the second was 75k and I'm thinking it will be 85-90k in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
and if you win and aren't there?!?!? Do you win $? How would it look if you weren't there and won?
See. I can go to the CEREMONY for free. I gather it's after the dinner and they let you sneak into the back of the room when they start announcing awards, or something. Still waiting for the paperwork with details to arrive.

I did pick up quite a cute black dress with polkadot-ish splotches on a sales rack this weekend to wear. It's not maternity but fits anyhow. I've been dithering about whether the dots are TOO bright but my mom approved it and she's more conservative with color than me. So I'm just going to go with it, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
I'm stuck in lover's hell!

chapter 8-9 is where they meet, chemistry sparks, and all that jazz...but for some reason, I SUCK at writing the beginning mechanisms that show that two people are into each other without it sounding like I'm a little teeny bopper giggling behind the scenes...

hmmm...I think I may have just answered my own question...

if not, anyone interested in reading some? please PM me! THanks!
I feel for you. I am SO STUCK on revising my chapter 7 right now. I just don't LIKE it because it's all setup... and it's necessary setup but eeehhhhh. I can't think of any way to do it better, though.

I think you did probably start to answer your own question and I'm not good with relationships either, but I'd be happy to look at it and see if I can think of anything helpful to say.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page