June Noveling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, May came and went...way too fast!...anyone out there still working on their novel? I need to start working on my novel FIRST and then surf the web/blog...it's just so addicting! But I need to finish editing at least this 3rd round of edits by mid-July (and paint a few canvases...yikes!) so I am starting this thread as my way of kicking my OWN butt into gear!

7 chapters edited...only 20 more to go!....I'm worried...
#2 of 47 Old 06-06-2009, 04:54 AM

Hello again,

I'm still working on it... kind of. I've been in a bit of a lull for the last two days, though. I got to the end of the first major section of the novel and I felt like I needed to get an overview of the rest of it before I moved on. I'm tempted to do a lot of research, too, but I know I need to keep that urge under control. It's important to get the historical context right, but I don't want it to be all research and no writing.

I'm not dividing this draft into chapters, but I'm at about 35,000 words of a projected 80-100k. I'm also aiming to finish this draft in mid-July: I've drafted 1/2-1/3 of the remainder but it all needs extensive re-working and I'll be writing the final chapters from scratch (although I have them outlined).
#3 of 47 Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM

going for it but a long way to go. ideas scattered wildly through timeline and scrap paper need to be typed and consolodated. never done this before but the character's story keeps flooding my mind.

homesteading new momma : : green mountains : aspiring novelist and children's book author

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#4 of 47 Old 06-06-2009, 04:03 PM

May I join in your group? I'm only at 16,552 of my rough draft, but got very little accomplished this last 3 weeks. It would be nice to read of and share the ups and downs of writing with others.
#5 of 47 Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM

I don't think I've done much of anything since the last time I posted on the May thread. I did get my vampire club written in. It's a '70s-themed Riverwalk club called Stayin' Alive. I amuse myself way too much sometimes.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#6 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
Hello again,

I'm still working on it... kind of. I've been in a bit of a lull for the last two days, though. I got to the end of the first major section of the novel and I felt like I needed to get an overview of the rest of it before I moved on. I'm tempted to do a lot of research, too, but I know I need to keep that urge under control. It's important to get the historical context right, but I don't want it to be all research and no writing.

I'm not dividing this draft into chapters, but I'm at about 35,000 words of a projected 80-100k. I'm also aiming to finish this draft in mid-July: I've drafted 1/2-1/3 of the remainder but it all needs extensive re-working and I'll be writing the final chapters from scratch (although I have them outlined).
wow! a very auspicious goal! Are you going to divide it into chapters at a later date? or are you going to separate your scenes differently?
#7 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmomma View Post
going for it but a long way to go. ideas scattered wildly through timeline and scrap paper need to be typed and consolodated. never done this before but the character's story keeps flooding my mind.
yep...when the characters start to take control, they usually demand you tell their story...or they'll haunt you forever!
#8 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissyStarfish View Post
May I join in your group? I'm only at 16,552 of my rough draft, but got very little accomplished this last 3 weeks. It would be nice to read of and share the ups and downs of writing with others.
welcome! hope there are some ups this month! I think I might just reached one of my own...will share soon
#9 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
I amuse myself way too much sometimes.
me too, me too...
#10 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
wow! a very auspicious goal! Are you going to divide it into chapters at a later date? or are you going to separate your scenes differently?
I do have scene breaks marked in to the manuscript, and there are several distinct longer sections, in terms of plot. In my fantasy novels, I worked with chapters roughly 3 scenes or 5,000 words long, which would take me about a week to write. My sense is that chapters in romance novels are often shorter than that, and that length doesn't work for me in the writing process, so I figure I'll wait until the book is nearly ready to go and get advice on where to put in the chapter breaks, in the cases where it isn't totally obvious.

Glad to find that people are still here working on their novels. It can be a really slow slog through the middle, can't it?
#11 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I do have scene breaks marked in to the manuscript, and there are several distinct longer sections, in terms of plot. In my fantasy novels, I worked with chapters roughly 3 scenes or 5,000 words long, which would take me about a week to write. My sense is that chapters in romance novels are often shorter than that, and that length doesn't work for me in the writing process, so I figure I'll wait until the book is nearly ready to go and get advice on where to put in the chapter breaks, in the cases where it isn't totally obvious.

Glad to find that people are still here working on their novels. It can be a really slow slog through the middle, can't it?
I forgot you were writing a romance. That's very long for that genre (not that it isn't done, it's just fairly unusual). From my reading of romances, it seems that the ones with short chapters are the ones that overall are pretty short.

I'm writing without chapters as well, at this point. I figure I'll put in the chapter breaks wherever it seems appropriate in my revision process. I'll have a better feel for the rhythm of my novel by then.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#12 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 11:24 PM

What do you call a novel that is based in truth and somewhat autobiographical but with some creative license and the names and location is changed to protect the innocent?

I've started a new novel and it's based on an episode in my own life. I've written the first chapter.

So..subbing I guess..lol
#13 of 47 Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 PM

It's called a roman á clef if you want people to know it's based on real life. If you don't, it's not called anything. I think what you're talking about is acutally pretty common.

#14 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
It's called a roman á clef if you want people to know it's based on real life. If you don't, it's not called anything. I think what you're talking about is acutally pretty common.
Yes! That's it! I won't be telling anybody but I wanted to know what it was for myself...couldnt' remember the term!

I'm at 5000 words. I'm finding it very cathartic and rewarding. I love how the truth looks on paper. Well on screen .lol.
#15 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
Ok, May came and went...way too fast!...anyone out there still working on their novel? I need to start working on my novel FIRST and then surf the web/blog...it's just so addicting! But I need to finish editing at least this 3rd round of edits by mid-July (and paint a few canvases...yikes!) so I am starting this thread as my way of kicking my OWN butt into gear!

7 chapters edited...only 20 more to go!....I'm worried...
I've really got to focus too!

I've got 4 different books in the works...sigh...I'm so easily distracted.
#16 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM

Writing... period... is consuming me so much so that I become irritated when any of my other responsibilities take away from that time. I feel like such a bad mama right now because I'm so agitated.

Blogging is taking most of my writing time as I want to continue doing it as I find it rewarding. But, I want to finish a novel. I haven't written anything on my novels in almost 3 weeks. I think I'm going to leave the one I have been working on to settle awhile and come back to it later. I am going to begin the novel that I just completed a research trip for, loosely based on the life of my great great grandmother. I've been having fun blogging about the trip, and it is really making me excited about getting started.

How do you all prioritize your writing? Especially those of you to whom it is your career or you some day hope for it to be. What does you day to day look like and how do you reconcile writing with all of your other responsibilities?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#17 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 PM

I feel exactly the same way. Writing is ALL I want to do now. I too get irritated by real life however without real life I'd have nothing to write because often inspiration comes to me.

So...let's focus shall we. What about a challenge. One blog post per day per blog and one hour of novelling. I can do this. Can you? I am sticking to this novel. This new one. I know the story because it's mine and I'm just going to let the truth come through. Then I'll go back and make it nicer, layer some description and change all the names and locations etc to turn it into fiction again. I'm hoping to finish this one and have it ready for publication by the end of the year.

I mean ready to submit for publication. and I will have my editor friend read it one chapter at a time starting in the fall when my littlest goes to school and I can become a full-time every other day writer:

I've really got to finish something.
#18 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 PM

That sounds so cool. You've just prompted me to make a Wordless Wednesday post. I think I'll put it in both my blogs.

I make no promises about the hour of writing today, though. I'm insanely sleepy for some reason. I do need to buckle down and get that damned vampire scene written. John's got some important information for the two MCs, and I need to get it in!

#19 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 AM

Hmm. Priorities and challenges?

I like the idea of doing an hour of fiction writing a day. I've been trying to do something like that: My goal was 1,000 words of fiction per day, written or edited/re-written, and a couple of blog posts a week.

I was doing fine until a couple of weeks ago when I started to get caught up in my novel and was focusing all my writing energy (and some other energy) on that. I nearly stopped blogging and then I burt out a bit and/or got stuck. I had a bad headache for a few days then all of us got a cold. I don't write when I'm sick unless I'm driving towards a very important short-term goal -- I feel that I really need to be healthy in order to do my best work, and maintain my creativity in the long term.

So I think I need to get back on track with some smaller goals, now that the worst of this stupid sick is hopefully past.
#20 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM

exerpt. Little bit of help with this bit.

This is almost what I want to say but I'm finding thesecond line a bit soft and ineffective.

"His energy penetrated the very walls of the rooms he occupied until you imagined you could see the vibrations of the molecules of the structure. You felt him in the room. You heard his voice and you paid attention. I guess the word to describe him is presence. Perhaps charisma. Both words seem woefully inadequate. He did not inspire indifference. Most people either loved him or hated him. I loved him."

easier to compare side by side

His energy penetrated the very walls of the rooms he occupied until you could nearly see the vibrations of the molecules of the structure. You heard his voice and you paid attention. He had a presence, perhaps a charisma, though both terms seemed woefully inadequate. People either loved him or hated him. I loved him.
#21 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 PM

Hmm, that's a hard one. I don't really have any advice. That first line is great. Maybe drop the second sentence altogether? It seems a bit unnecessary & perhaps redundant. I think maybe a few of the sentences can be dropped...Here's another version:

His energy penetrated the very walls of the rooms he occupied until you could nearly see the vibrations of the molecules of the structure. You heard his voice and you paid attention. He had a presence, perhaps a charisma, though both terms seemed woefully inadequate. People either loved him or hated him. I loved him.

It needs just a couple of tweaks.

I got a little more than an hour of writing in today, and I've published in my crochet blog. Even got a pattern written up and posted. Nothing in my main blog yet; I think it'll wait til I get the kids to bed. I've been contemplating a post on single moms & college; I just accepted my financial aid awards today. I guess that's a good jumping-off point.

#22 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

Thanks. I think I'll work with that. I know what I'm trying to say.

Has anyone checked out this site?
#23 of 47 Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

nak

I think that EDITING is the "slow slog"...I can't seem to stay motivated! :
#24 of 47 Old 06-12-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
What do you call a novel that is based in truth and somewhat autobiographical but with some creative license and the names and location is changed to protect the innocent?

I've started a new novel and it's based on an episode in my own life. I've written the first chapter.

So..subbing I guess..lol
Yeah! what you are reffering to is what they call a Roman à clef
#25 of 47 Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to wade back into the noveling with you girls this month, I think. I'm nearly 22 weeks pregnant now and finally can read/write again without wanting to hurl. Woohoo for me! Last night I sat down and revised chapter 4 (of 30) which was where I left off revisions back in March. I hate that I took so much time off doing NOTHING but on the other hand, the long break is probably good for my ability to see the novel with new eyes. Anyhow, that's what I'm telling myself.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#26 of 47 Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 PM

Hey, Stephen King says you should put your novel away for a minimum of something like 6 weeks, so you can look at it with fresh eyes when you edit.

I got about an hour of writing in today, but no blogging thus far, & I didn't get a blog up yesterday. I got sucked in by Ice Road Truckers on Hulu. Did you know they drive on ICE? The narration is repetitive as all heck.

#27 of 47 Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Hey all!

Yeah, it's snailish writing a novel with kids --- I feel as if I'll be lucky to finish (never mind publish) before they leave home...

I work about an hour a day while the two year old is sleeping, sometimes more on weekends....

16K through my first re-write, getting it onto the computer for the first time. I'm getting that "this sucks" feeling again. After I finish my re-write, I'll put the novel to bed for a while before working on it again.

Unlike some of you, this is the only thing I want to work on, don't have any other projects going, although I've recently discovered Facebook.

I asked the below question too late last month to get an answer, but I still need one:
How do you find readers? Local writing groups? Internet writing groups?

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#28 of 47 Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM

I am so tired. By the time I manage to tidy the house, get out for a walk, take the kids for whatever appointment de jour they have and then go out myself tonight I have no time to write. So we have 2 days of rain approaching and I'm grateful.

I am hitting 10,000 words this week. I am at around 7000.

It is very frustrating, the words are knocking around the inside of my skull wanting to come out and I can't let them because I just don't have time.

Tonight I will aim for an hour...a chapter to finish( a challenging one) and then a chapter that is easier to do.

How do you name your characters? I have some naming/renaming to do and I'm thinking of doing the index card character description thing soon as they describe in "how to write a novel in 100 days".
#29 of 47 Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM

I usually start with a name for my main character and build from there. The name of the MC just comes to me. The heroine of the book I am writing right now is Evangeline Aldrich. Evangeline was going to be the name of the baby I lost. I had to give her life somehow. (I know that sounds a little weird, but there you have it.) Aldrich just fit; I wanted a German name and it was the name of my JROTC commander back in high school, a man I really respected. I generally build all the rest of the names off the main character so they sound good together. All her family have Biblical names.

I named the hero in honor of an old friend of mine, & iirc his last name came about because I was listening to a song by the Bellamy brothers when I was trying to figure out what to name him. I am horrible at picking last names.

The weres in my story are named with a sort of theme. I came up with it before I came up with the idea for this story, in fact. They all have very old-fashioned names: Claire and Gerald Diefenholz are the alpha couple. They're the only ones right now, but I'll keep it similar to that. They're all going to get last names that fit in this part of Texas--German, Mexican, Polish, etc. Somewhere there will be some Friesenhahns. There are always Friesenhahns in my stories--it's one of those bizarre names that is everywhere in this area.

#30 of 47 Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey, Stephen King says you should put your novel away for a minimum of something like 6 weeks, so you can look at it with fresh eyes when you edit.
That's what I keep telling myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post
How do you find readers? Local writing groups? Internet writing groups?
I did an Internet group before I found a local group, and it was ok. (The Critters online working for SF/F, if it matters.) Then I started signing up for workshops at local SF/F conventions, and after the 2nd one I was invited to join a local group. That was about 5 years ago and I'm still with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
How do you name your characters? I have some naming/renaming to do and I'm thinking of doing the index card character description thing soon as they describe in "how to write a novel in 100 days".
It really varies. Sometimes the right name just comes to me. Sometimes I surf baby name websites and either take names I like or just use them for inspiration. I like behindthename.com for that because you can look up names by ethnicity pretty easily, so you can see names that came from the same root/tongue together.

In me news, I finished revision chapter 5 (took 3 nights) and started chapter 6. Not sure if I'm going to get to the novel tonight or not, I feel really bloated and a bit blargh-y, which really wrecks my concentration & motivation.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page