Getting started - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped writing much for pleasure over a decade ago... and now it's time for me to start writing a book. However, as soon as I made that decision/came to that realization I was a tad overwhelmed by the 15 years worth of fiction plots and nonfiction ideas that have all been pushed aside time after time. I wish someone would just tell me, "Oooh, write that one!" and then I could sally forth. Of course, no one can do that.

It's not that I have no words. It's that there are 14 million trying to come out at once. I need practical advice about whether nonfiction or fiction is a better starting place, or just suggestions for how to gain focus.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#2 of 2 Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which to start with? Which do you think you'd enjoy more?

If all else fails, make a list of all your ideas, number them, then take little scraps of paper & put the numbers in the paper, dump it all in a bag, shake & pick one. I'm serious here. Do something to force yourself into it.

Once you have an idea, this is my favorite method to outline a plot:
http://hollylisle.com/fm/Workshops/n..._plotting.html

I really cannot say enough about how much I love notecarding. It's what I'm using to write my novel (I am writing by hand, & carting around my little collection of cards). It is so versatile. I've rearranged my notecards more times than I can count to make the plot flow better. I know of no easier, more flexible way to get down the bones. (Of course, you don't have to come up with an outline...but I think some sort of structure is incredibly necessary for those of us who have one idea after another jumping out of our subconsciousnesses!)

This is another method I really like the idea of, though it didn't work out for me:

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page