How good of a sign is this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh wrote an autobiography about his life growing up as a Jehovah's Witness and the story of how we left that religion. He sent some inquiries into a few publishers who he knew had published similar things. Only two weeks later, his first choice wrote back and asked for a proposal. He sent out the proposal yesterday. So, I know this is a good sign because they liked what he originally sent, but how good of a sign is it? How many books do companies usually publish compared to proposals they get?

Also, if it gets published, how should he deal with the contract? Can we negotiate anything? Can we set up any of the proceeds to go to a non-profit organization? Should we have a lawyer look at it? Is there anything else we should be aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would consider it a very good sign, although I don't know what the numbers are. If they do make an offer, I would try to get a literary agent, particularly if you're looking at an advance over $10,000 or so. If not an agent, get an appopriately-specialized lawyer to look over the contract.

Good luck with it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page