July Noveling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-05-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
June's thread

So, how's it going for everyone?

I am starting over. Same novel, but I'm re-outlining it. It just was not working the way it was. I need to have it move faster, and reemphasize the main plot. I'm tired of rearranging index cards. I'm going to keep a lot of the old scenes, but move some stuff up and axe some other stuff that isn't too important. And just start from scratch; I haven't been able to make myself work on it for a while now, and I have a better clue of where I'm going so I think I'll be able to make it up.

I'm going to consider this version 2.0.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM

I sat down today to edit and thought I'd pop in here for a second

I found the cure for my editing blues...start a new book! I'm doing research and outlining the sequel...

The secondary character in the first novel is the MC in the sequel. It's going to be a whirlwind fun book on how to find love over 35 after a failed marriage, being a single mom, and watching your little sister get engaged and live happily ever after while you're not...

This is really helping me edit my novel since I can't start actually writing the second one until the first one is done and out the door!

Editing was sucking the fun out of writing...now with this new book's characters and plot swimming around in my head, I'm excited to write again!
#3 of 9 Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm editing. Except that sadly enough, I'm STILL editing chapters 7 and 8. I hate chapters 7 and 8. I took out a bunch of pointless deadend stuff out of 7 and now it's not really a whole chapter. Except that's left is really just setup for future events, rather than exciting stuff of its own, and .... well, these chapters just don't quite work, but they're important, and I can't figure out just how to fix them. So they're driving me batty.

Can't believe it's July already. Eeeeek.

Also I'm supposed to be writing a bio of myself for the PNWA finalist thing. Except I have no idea what to write. I feel so very boring when I try to think of anything much to say about me.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#4 of 9 Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Can you combine 7 & 8 maybe?

I hear you on the bio thing. I hate writing about myself in bio form. Then almost all the authors I really like have these clever biographies and I feel like I must be horrible at the craft if I can't master something so minor.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 AM

Right, that's exactly the problem. Everyone else has awesome bios! Of course it helps to have publishing credits to mention and I only have 1 story forthcoming in the fall in an online mag. I did manage to come up with 70 words of vaguely interesting stuff but eh..... and my "Author Photo" has my daughter in it, which might be a problem 'cause she's way cuter and more photogenic than me.

re combining chapters 7 and 8, yeah, maybe. I'm thinking it would be better if something more interesting actually happened in 7, though.

#6 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 PM

I'm in Sunny Southern California combining hanging out with family and doing research for my novel...sure is fun!

I didn't realized it, but now I do - the saying, "write what you know" IS the way to go. I have most of my novel set in SoCal, but I don't live here...and it's been hard trying to remember just what it's like here - the feel, the people, the street names - but the book is written, so there is no going back. So I'm using this time to really get a good long look - take some good notes... The sequel is set here as well (I really love it here, but I live on the East coast!) So maybe that is why I daydreamed an entire book in this setting...because I wanted to be here myself!

reading some Jodi Picoult at the beach, wishing I had remembered my USB port with my files so I could work on my novel, jotting down notes on paper...
#7 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 AM

Hello All I've been meaning to check into this thread for a while, but I guess I"m just now at the place where I feel like I can say I'm a "novelist" - or at least an aspiring one. I am writing along, and very happy with my progress. I'm nervous, of course, and constantly question my choices of words, actions, plot twists, etc, but when I read back through it I'm always happy with the way its going, so I suppose that's a good sign. Anyone else go through that?

Anyway - I have set a goal with another writer-friend to write a minimum of 2 pages a day on the novel in addition to any edits i do, so I've been keeping up with that and am happy with the way the novel is moving forward.

More to share in August I'm sure!
#8 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM

I found a writing critique group! they are very close by and the woman who heads it said that "we are a very advanced group" so I'm assuming that they all have a clue Two previous members have been published, so I'm eager to get involved I just received my first set of member writing that I get to critique and then I guess I get put into the pot and when my turn comes up I get to do the same...should be fun and education...and a 4 hour meeting every two weeks! Maybe that's the 'serious' part
#9 of 9 Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 PM

greenmama -- sup It sounds like you're really rolling along. I found that I did question a lot as I was writing the initial draft and some of the wording/phrasing was indeed awful, but when I read back I really liked the way the story went--plot, order, etc. And you can always go back and fix wording and phrasing so I was happy. I'm glad you're feeling confident with what you're doing.

MommyHawk -- Woohoo, I hope the critique group works out for you! When do you go to the first meeting?

Me -- I've been sitting here for an hour trying to memorize my "elevator pitch synopsis". The PNWA literary contest award ceremony is tonight and I need to be prepared in case I actually get a chance to talk to agents or editors! It sounds horribly awkward to say it all out loud, though. I am just not a good speaker and I am already so nervous.

I'm also nervous because I never heard back from anyone after I sent in my photo and bio and I'm not totally sure what my arrangements are for tonight since I'm not attending the dinner, just the ceremomy... I tried emailing and calling this week but the office is shut down for the conference I guess. As long as I have somewhere to sit I guess I'll be happy. Of course I'm second-guessing the dress I bought to, though really, choices for a one-time-wear dress on a slim budget are limited at 6.5 months pregnant

Wish me luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page