The Artist's Way - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone currently reading this or working their way through the weeks? I just started week 2 and thought maybe I would check in and see if anyone has already completed it or would like to chronicle their journey with me!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#2 of 30 Old 08-05-2009, 06:06 PM

I did the whole twelve weeks earlier this year. I did it with a cluster on blogger which I found was the best approach for me: kept me accountable and on track, yk?

Good luck with it. When I finished I wanted to start it all over again. It changed my creative direction completely and helped me make some big decisions. Hope it's as productive for you.
#3 of 30 Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing! From what I've heard from others who've completed it, it totally changed things for them too. I've actually already read the entire book as I'm loaning it from the library, but now I'm going through and re-reading and doing the tasks. The first two weeks have also created a few changes for me so I'm excited to finish it in its entirety. I know that there's a forum on the book's website and a lot of people are blogging about it on wordpress so maybe I'll find some people there.

#4 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 PM

I have the book - and I'm "doing" it, but not the way she recommends

daily pages- I was already doing that. that's just who I am. What do other people do while their computer is loading up?

I never felt criticized or condemned or belittled for creativity. I always felt enormously creative and so I can't relate to a lot of her premise that we need to fight our way through this process. I've been skipping a lot in the book that comes from a place of "healing" because I'm just not there.

I'm also moving slower through the book than a lesson a week, using my own timeline completely.

I have six kids, so this "artist date" amounts to me walking through my garden and strolling through the apple orchards every single evening after dinner.

It's been amazing. I can't imagine only doing it once a week and I kick myself for not doing it sooner. I covet this "date" now and think I might actually implode without it.

Anyways, so I'm doing the Artist's Way, but as a homeschooler/unschooler, I'm breaking the rules and doing it my own way. I haven't felt resistance to anything yet, except the idea that we've all been told that art is a waste of time or something like that. I was really encouraged artistically, as a child. It was my own internal decision to follow a different path for a while and that's OK. I always knew I'd come back to it.
#5 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsommer View Post
Anyone currently reading this or working their way through the weeks? I just started week 2 and thought maybe I would check in and see if anyone has already completed it or would like to chronicle their journey with me!
I'm curious about this book, but I'm not sure I can relate to the premise, as I feel aboudantly creative . With 3 kids at home, my problem is time. Not even time management, but simply having time for everything I want to write. But so far I've been prioritising rather well...

But this book has been recommended to me, so I'm curious. Can those who are reading it share more about it? Does it inspire you in other ways?

lissarussel, could you share more? Thanks!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#6 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
I never felt criticized or condemned or belittled for creativity. I always felt enormously creative and so I can't relate to a lot of her premise that we need to fight our way through this process. I've been skipping a lot in the book that comes from a place of "healing" because I'm just not there....

I was really encouraged artistically, as a child. It was my own internal decision to follow a different path for a while and that's OK. I always knew I'd come back to it.
Yeah, I can definiteliy see how the book and the process may not be completely applicable to you. I actually relate a lot to what she says though because I definitely allowed my creativity to die and I wasn't as encouraged to pursue the arts as I probably needed to be. So for me, it's been immensely powerful. But I'm glad that you do like some of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
I'm curious about this book, but I'm not sure I can relate to the premise, as I feel aboudantly creative . With 3 kids at home, my problem is time. Not even time management, but simply having time for everything I want to write. But so far I've been prioritising rather well...

But this book has been recommended to me, so I'm curious. Can those who are reading it share more about it? Does it inspire you in other ways?

For me, a large part of it has been realizing all of the reasons why I felt like my creativity wouldn't be valued or that it had no value. This has been huge in "unblocking" for me. I like her suggestions for tasks as some of them really make you think. For example, one of them was to write down 20 things that you like to do. I could barely come up with 15. What it told me was that somewhere along the line I had put a lot of my interests on the backburner and hadn't really been doing anything that made me happy (outside of being a wife and mother). So now I'm working on trying to integrate some of those things back into my life.

#7 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
For me, a large part of it has been realizing all of the reasons why I felt like my creativity wouldn't be valued or that it had no value. This has been huge in "unblocking" for me. I like her suggestions for tasks as some of them really make you think. For example, one of them was to write down 20 things that you like to do. I could barely come up with 15. What it told me was that somewhere along the line I had put a lot of my interests on the backburner and hadn't really been doing anything that made me happy (outside of being a wife and mother). So now I'm working on trying to integrate some of those things back into my life.
Interesting! Thank you for sharing!

Does she mean 20 hobbies or things that involve effort / skill? Like knitting? Or things like: 1. I like watching sunsets 2. I like to listen to the rain etc?

If it is hobbbies, I think 20 is way too much! If it is the latter, than maybe too little?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#8 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 03:20 PM

#9 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
C'mon, tell us more!

LOVE your siggy! I don't think I saw this one when I searched for something cool. I settled on the sleepy gnome....

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#10 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Interesting! Thank you for sharing!

Does she mean 20 hobbies or things that involve effort / skill? Like knitting? Or things like: 1. I like watching sunsets 2. I like to listen to the rain etc?

If it is hobbbies, I think 20 is way too much! If it is the latter, than maybe too little?
It was 20 things you enjoy doing (baking pies, going for a run, reading poetry are some examples she gives). Then beside them you write how long it's been since you last did them. Some of the ones on my list I hadn't done in almost 5 years

Quote:
Yes, transformed. Please do share!

#11 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 PM

I was subbing to come back LOL. I dont have the book yet but I have been wanting to do this forever. I might buy it at church on sunday. I'll be back Later tonight or tomorrow when I can read through the thread.
#12 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I was subbing to come back LOL. I dont have the book yet but I have been wanting to do this forever. I might buy it at church on sunday. I'll be back Later tonight or tomorrow when I can read through the thread.
:yawning: ah...so mundane... i was expecting.... : i don't know what i was expecting...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#13 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
:yawning: ah...so mundane... i was expecting.... : i don't know what i was expecting...

the yawning smiley makes me yawn...uncontrollably...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#14 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 PM

20 things I enjoy:

1. eating artful food. - from time to time. I dont enjoy food as much as I should.
2. listening to jazz at a club while sipping on some wine...and potentially smoking a cigarette for old times sake. - never done it. I just know I would love it. ok not the cigarette part. LOL.
3. writing poetry - a month ago
4. painting - 2 months ao
5. really really good farmers markets - I dont even remember. a long time.
6. shopping for clothes that look hot on me - a long time due to financial constraints
7. go to the beach.

ok, you know what - I am stopping here for a pause because I like to blame all of my lack of activity on money, which it IS totally a factor but I am ready to stop using it as an EXCUSE to not fulfill my needs.

I AM an artist. It is what I do. It is who I am. Some of my work sucks, some of it rocks, whatever. I am a process artist anyways. It feeds me.

Just sharing this in case it speaks to anyone else here.

Also, this....from a dear friend....I am researching right now because my kids are making my life hell and art is the only way we are going to make it. SO I am trying to integrate art into our days.

http://www.aisling.net/bus/cheapart.htm

Question for everyone: What is your main outlet for artistic expression? Are you primarily writers?
#15 of 30 Old 08-08-2009, 01:16 AM

I'd like to think of myself as primarily a writer, even though I haven't actually written anything "writerly" in ... oh... years? But it's still part of my identity. My problem is I get caught up in reading other people's greatnesses, and then I freak out because I can't be good enough, you know?

As far as artistic expressions go, apart from writing, well, I don't really have anything else right now. I used to play the piano but it's been years since I've had easy access to one. Does knitting count? I make a mean dishcloth.

I've been meaning to read The Artist's Way but ran out of time. Maybe I should re-check it out from the library.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#16 of 30 Old 08-08-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ok, you know what - I am stopping here for a pause because I like to blame all of my lack of activity on money, which it IS totally a factor but I am ready to stop using it as an EXCUSE to not fulfill my needs.

http://www.aisling.net/bus/cheapart.htm

Question for everyone: What is your main outlet for artistic expression? Are you primarily writers?
It's funny you metion the money issue. Cameron devotes an entire chapter to this and it really helped me to throw out the money excuse...it's just another way of keeping ourselves blocked.

Also, thanks for the link!

I also think of myself as primarily a writer. But I like to dabble in all things creative: painting, drawing, musical instruments, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
I'd like to think of myself as primarily a writer, even though I haven't actually written anything "writerly" in ... oh... years? But it's still part of my identity. My problem is I get caught up in reading other people's greatnesses, and then I freak out because I can't be good enough, you know?

I've been meaning to read The Artist's Way but ran out of time. Maybe I should re-check it out from the library.
Cameron talks about this a lot too. The self-defeatest thinking and self-sabotage committed by the blocked artist. You should definitely re-check it out.

#17 of 30 Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 AM

I did blog about it a few weeks ago http://lisarussell.org/blog/2009/06/30/art/ and really- I haven't gotten past week 2 yet so I don't have much to say except that hopefully I can read some more later in the month when we go on vacation.

I read a lot of reviews before I bought it- that's what convinced me to get it. the thing that convinced me was the idea that it could help me calm my erratic bursts of creativity and learn to live a calm, artist's life integrating my artsy side and my business side, without sacrificing either.

I'm not there yet.

we'll see.
#18 of 30 Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Bump.
I would love this...tried to get a group going in my 1st trimester to make the time fly and get my mind off baby stuff to no avail. Now am in third trimester and reading "Birthing From Within" kind of similar, I think. The approach to birth is intimate, spiritual and creative. Artistic methods to communicate our feelings about it.

But, I did read AW several years ago in the 1990s I think. I got up to week 8. Did it alone.

I hope everyone enjoys it!!!::
#19 of 30 Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM

I got it from the library today. I like to try before I buy.
#20 of 30 Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAprilMay View Post
I got it from the library today. I like to try before I buy.
me too :-) I've had it on loan for almost 8 weeks now.

#21 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM

#22 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

anyone started writing morning pages? or picked up the book?

i'll be starting week 4 on wednesday and it calls for reading deprivation - very excited about this!

#23 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM

anyone see this in tao. Just sort of on the suject of spendin $ on art....this is awesome. http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1124377
#24 of 30 Old 08-21-2009, 02:49 PM

I had my first Artist Date on Wednesday. I've been doing the morning pages almost every morning.
#25 of 30 Old 08-23-2009, 03:52 AM

I 've been doing morning pages since before I ever read the book. My husband used to tease me & call me Harriet the Spy because I have ten thousand spiral notebooks from years and years of writing every morning. I can't think without it. I don't even know what I think until I write it. For me- it's very very important, for all the reasons Cameron says, it clears my mind and helps me put things into perspective.
#26 of 30 Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAprilMay View Post
I had my first Artist Date on Wednesday. I've been doing the morning pages almost every morning.
How was your Artist Date? My first one was not what I had hoped and I have yet to do another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
I 've been doing morning pages since before I ever read the book. My husband used to tease me & call me Harriet the Spy because I have ten thousand spiral notebooks from years and years of writing every morning. I can't think without it. I don't even know what I think until I write it. For me- it's very very important, for all the reasons Cameron says, it clears my mind and helps me put things into perspective.
I've been doing the morning pages for 4 weeks now and have really noticed a difference in my clarity of thought. I don't think I'll ever stop!

#27 of 30 Old 10-13-2009, 07:40 PM

My main artistic expression has always been with writing.

I have the Artist's Way on my table upstairs, on loan from the library. I can't get out of bed and immediately write. I'm not an early bird. I have kids to get to school. Is it a problem to write but not first thing in the am? I get the kids off to school, then by 9 am, I'm writing something.

Does it have to be always in the morning? Some of my best writing is at night, when the kids are asleep. Some times I had a thought in bed, just before dropping off, and would jump out of bed to capture it. Some occurs to me throughout the day.

In my mind, I think writing those pages, whenever is much better than writing them first thing in the morning.

I know I'm going to have trouble with reading deprivation. I get a lot of inspiration from reading other blogs or books who trigger thoughts in me that I need to express.

How necessary is morning writing? I don't think I can drag my lazy butt out of bed in the morning before the kids get up. It would have to be a drastic re-structuring of my life.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#28 of 30 Old 10-14-2009, 03:41 AM

I think it's important to honor your own cycles. I notice, though, that once I've purged all the constant humming of my own mind, I can greet the day more peacefully.

I'm not a morning person either, in fact I'm quite crabby when I wake up so I force myself to wake up a few hours before my kids get up because I like greeting them with a smile. it's easier after I've been up and had a few cups of coffee, written my morning pages and had some peace. THEN, I'm happy to see them.

Before that point, they're noisy and move too fast and bounce too much and ask to many questions and can't do anything for themselves. A few cups of coffee and I'm happy to help, love to hear about their dreams and eager to help them get dressed, etc.

I force myself to be a morning person, for the health and safety of our family.

If it doesn't work for you, I'd grab any quiet time you can. When I purge my thoughts before bed, I sleep a lot better.
#29 of 30 Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:

I feel this way as well but I will check it out.
#30 of 30 Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM

I am feeling like I need a period of re-assesment in my writing life. Maybe this is the time for me to do The Artist's Way. I need some healing, too, and am struggling with not feeling supported in my work. My old on-line writers' group has really fallen apart in the last few years, and my best writing buddy has been going through a major personal crisis. I definitely need something different right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page