Crazy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-07-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm sitting here today thinking about how I'd love to start writing again (assuming I can find/make time) and it occurred to me that during the 2 periods of time where I was doing my best writing, everyone thought I was crazy. Literally. Like, lock you up and throw away the key crazy.
Why? Because I talked about my characters like they were real. And to me they were real. They still are. How do you deal with that? Do you keep a certain set of friends with whom you can "be crazy"? Or am I completely alone in this?
This is honestly probably the biggest thing holding me back from writing again. It's hard to be "crazy".

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
So, I'm sitting here today thinking about how I'd love to start writing again (assuming I can find/make time) and it occurred to me that during the 2 periods of time where I was doing my best writing, everyone thought I was crazy. Literally. Like, lock you up and throw away the key crazy.
Why? Because I talked about my characters like they were real. And to me they were real. They still are. How do you deal with that? Do you keep a certain set of friends with whom you can "be crazy"? Or am I completely alone in this?
This is honestly probably the biggest thing holding me back from writing again. It's hard to be "crazy".
I think it is Carolyn See, in her Making A Literary Life, who advices to never talk about your writing with friends.

I find it difficult to follow, because I want to share, share, share, but I think she's right. No one wants to hear about my characters, even if they are very real to me.

But I do have a couple of equally crazy friends, and we are each other's outlet.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#3 of 3 Old 08-08-2009, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My non-writer friends are not interested in hearing about my characters or worlds and would be bored to death in about 10 seconds, and yes, probably think I was crazy, too!

Fortunately I have developed a circle of fellow writers who really do "get it" and will let me go on in various lengths and levels of detail about my characters/plots/writing issues. My writing group is the best for that as they've typically read whatever it is I'm blathering about, and we are in the habit of taking time to discuss each other's works in progress and make suggestions if the writer wants to do so.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page