Independent Editor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-15-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just learned that independent editors exist. They are NY publishing types that will take your money to help improve your book. I'm sending out letters tonight to try and find a good fit. This is what my book has needed. I'm so excited.

Hopefully I'll sell my book and make back whatever money (and then some) it costs to do this.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2 of 11 Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
I just learned that independent editors exist. They are NY publishing types that will take your money to help improve your book. I'm sending out letters tonight to try and find a good fit. This is what my book has needed. I'm so excited.

Hopefully I'll sell my book and make back whatever money (and then some) it costs to do this.
There was a great post on a blog about it. Okay, here it is. One important point--don't hire anyone who wasn't personally recommended to you. There are "book doctors" and there are professional editors. I'm working with one right now, and I think she is BRILLIANT, a perfect match for me. PM me if you'd like the info.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#3 of 11 Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the blog. It was quite interesting. For me, it reinforces my desire to have an independent editor.

I am sending a query to 9 editors that I found in the book http://www.amazon.com/Hermans-Publis...0405874&sr=8-1

I chose editors who seemed to best fit my book subject matter and who have edited works by someone I have heard of/can relate to. I will see what kind of response I get. I am hoping for someone who says, "Wow, I really think this is an interesting idea," and means it. I also hope to find someone with some talent. I know no one who has hired an independent editor so, except for you, I have no way of getting a referral.

I pm'ed you and look forward to hearing from you.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Something else that just occured to me and I wanted to add--a developmental editor is often much cheaper than a writing course, and I think, at the right moment in one's development, can be much more of a learning experience. Amazing individual attention.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#5 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have been in contact with the editor you pm'ed me about. She says she finds my story "riveting." I really liked her website.

I am considering working with her and two other editors. I'm spending a lot of time wringing my hands about who to choose.

#6 of 11 Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 PM

Here's the thing about editing.

You need to learn how to do it on your own. yes, you can pay an editor, but frankly, as a writer, you need to learn how yourself. It's part of your craft. It's like a doctor who pays someone else to actually perform their surgeries. Learning to edit is crucial; no editor is going to be able to fix your story if it's broken from the beginning. A true editor is going to maybe spot plot holes, character inconsistencies, and then line edit.

All of these? You can get with a good critique group... for free. I have a phenomenal crit group, and the feedback they provide is better than gold. We have a varied team (and I actually met them all through NaNoWriMo!) Having 7 or 8 people looking over your work is of incalculable value.
#7 of 11 Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernwebgoddess View Post
Here's the thing about editing.

You need to learn how to do it on your own. yes, you can pay an editor, but frankly, as a writer, you need to learn how yourself. It's part of your craft. It's like a doctor who pays someone else to actually perform their surgeries. Learning to edit is crucial; no editor is going to be able to fix your story if it's broken from the beginning. A true editor is going to maybe spot plot holes, character inconsistencies, and then line edit.

All of these? You can get with a good critique group... for free. I have a phenomenal crit group, and the feedback they provide is better than gold. We have a varied team (and I actually met them all through NaNoWriMo!) Having 7 or 8 people looking over your work is of incalculable value.
A critique group is great, if you have one. I do not. And with a 1 year old and a 3.5 year old I don't have the time or energy to read other people's writing.

I have written and re-written my book. I have taken it as far as I can without outside thoughts. Since I don't have anyone who can do it for free, I have to pay someone.

Unfortunately it looks like a major car repair is in our future so hiring an editor is on hold.

#8 of 11 Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM

The truth is, most of the novels we see in print have been edited by professional editors who work for the publishing houses. And those that haven't been edited are relatively easy to spot.

If you look at the acknowledgement sections of published novels, most of the writers thank their editors profusely. And that's not for just line editing. And if you think about the great writers of thirty, forty, fifty years ago, they all had very close working relationships with their editors.

I've workshopped my novel and got plenty of very useful feedback at different stages of completion, most of which I incorporated into my revisions. I'm a very good editor, and there are people who pay *me* (chuckle chuckle, I never thought anyone would, but it just happened) to edit their work--these were people who sought me out, after reading my feedback and my stories. I never advertised.

But there's another level of editing. I believe some people are simply more talented in the way they can look at the *entire* novel, not at its parts. I always suspected this was the case, but I never had this experience myself until now.

I also feel that I learned a massive, absolutely massive amout of information by working with a professional editor and her individual attention to my novel. And this is on top of all the books I've read, courses, workshops.

But I think to gain this much from a professional editor, one has to approach the editor with a novel that is as ready as it is humanely possible. Which means, in many cases, workshopped, critiqued, put aside, critiqued again, and revised, revised, revised, and polished on top of that.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#9 of 11 Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 PM

There are plenty of online critique groups! One that I can think of off the top of my head is Critique Circle. There's also Holly Lisle's Forward Motion website... the forums there are a wealth of resources, and they have writing workshops and critiques. I'll tell you one thing aboutmy critique group... that once-a-month or some meeting is all that keeps me sane. I've got a 1 and a 3.5 year old myself-- I know how hard it can be to carve out that extra time!
#10 of 11 Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Oh! I did find this for you. Writer Beware's page on editors and the like. Good read, definitely give it a go-over before you do. You'll also want to browse Preditors and Editors as well before hiring anyone.
#11 of 11 Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernwebgoddess View Post
Oh! I did find this for you. Writer Beware's page on editors and the like. Good read, definitely give it a go-over before you do. You'll also want to browse Preditors and Editors as well before hiring anyone.
I read the article you provided. Thanks.

I've already been to Preditors and Editors which is where I got some of the names of people I contacted. I also got names from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...ZHPB0863JFK0Q3

Most of them have web pages that are also illuminating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page