NaNoWriMo 2009 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 232 Old 09-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did NaNo a couple years in a row, about 7 years ago. I think the farthest I got was just shy of 30,000. I have been wanting to get back into my writing, and I think I may attempt NaNo this year to jumpstart my creative juices.

Rebecca DP
our baby girl (12/2008)
#32 of 232 Old 09-08-2009, 05:19 PM

I signed up last year but never wrote a word! Once the first couple of days of November passed with no writing, I gave up.

This year I plan to try again. The idea I had about a year ago has become more concrete and I'd like to see what it turns into. I'm not planning to outline, but I am going to write down the major points I'd like to hit, so I have something (no more than one page, bullet points) very simple to focus on and remind myself what I'm doing and where I'm going (roughly speaking). It's been a long time since I wrote any fiction, so I'm sure the start will be rocky.

I don't expect to make it to 50k words either, but even just a good start would make me feel better.
#33 of 232 Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 PM

I was excited to see this thread pop up in my "new posts" because I just discovered NaNoWritMo and decided to do it this year. I have never written anything, I know nothing about anything, but I have decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a shot. I always wanted to write a book, but never had a good idea for one, and then of coarse anything I start ends up being not good enough. So screw all that. I am just going to write something and I don't care if it sucks.

Not to mention that having babies and being a mom has sucked all the creativity out of me and I need to get a piece of that back. I used to be such a creative and artistic person - I haven't tapped that in years. (upon years, upon years) So here we go!

I have started outlining a plot and creating characters - I am so excited about it! WhooHoo!!!
#34 of 232 Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM

I haven't the faintest clue what I'm going to write.

Let me be the first to say, though, you don't have to give up if you don't do anything the first few days... i've done it in as little as 10 days! I don't recommend it, but it IS possible.

I'mSO glad it's coming. I'm getting excited. Every year I've outlined or planned... I've failed. When I go in with either no idea or just a bare plot bunny or two... I've won. LOL. YMMV, of course.
#35 of 232 Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 AM

I was sooo thrilled to see this thread the other day! I participated in NaNoWriMo last year and was part of the group here supporting others during the challenge.. I did win, just barely..and am soo looking forward to any other NaNoWriMo...

I have barely touched my novel from last year, except to do a basic edit (ie spell check..lol) last month.. but I STILL love the story and desperately want to finish it.. I am considering invoking the Zokutou clause (http://www.zokutou.co.uk/theclause.html):

“If you have already attained the status of Winner, you do not need to start a new novel, as your main aim is now to finish one. You can now consider yourself a winner if, by midnight on the 30th of November, you have either:

1. Written 50,000 words on one or more previous works. 2. Completed your novel’s first draft.”

It is NOT an official clause in fact it goes against the official rules:
"Do I have to start my novel from scratch on November 1? Can I use an outline?

Yes.

This sounds like a dumb, arbitrary rule, we know. But bringing a half-finished manuscript into NaNoWriMo all but guarantees a miserable month. You'll care about the characters and story too much to write with the gleeful, anything-goes approach that makes NaNoWriMo such a creative rush. Give yourself the gift of a clean slate, and you'll tap into realms of imagination and intuition that are out-of-reach when working on pre-existing manuscripts.

Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death."

Hmm... I may just be joining the NaNo Rebel group, because I'm not sure I can convince myself to work on anything else with this one screaming to be written.. KWIM?!

Kym
#36 of 232 Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM

So I'm going to go back and use my old journals as reference...but I'm going to basically write about my life from age 13-18 (I think) *shrugs* Could be good...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#37 of 232 Old 09-14-2009, 08:34 AM

I'm 30,000 words into a novel. I want to do nano but if this one keeps going as it's going..I'll be finished and in rewrites on this one. I don't think I want to stop now that I have the momentum going.

But I'm not ruling it all out. I may get stuck tomorrow and use it for finishing this one
#38 of 232 Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 AM

I participated in 2005 and 2008. Didn't reach 50K either time. My husband won last year. I wasn't going to even consider it this year (have a TON of stuff to do before my homebirth) but a good friend/writing buddy convinced me this morning, so I'm going to go for it. And if I end up giving birth in November... well maybe it will help to write through the contractions

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#39 of 232 Old 09-26-2009, 03:58 AM

I've told myself the last few years I'll try it, and usually end up missing the November 1st start for some reason or another. I actually told myself last year in November that this year, I would do it, reach my 50k, and really focus on it-- but then I found out I'm pregnant and due December 2, and I have a feeling sometime in the middle of NaNo is when I'll be in labor.

I think I'll try it anyway, and see how it goes. Best case scenario, I actually reach my goal while having a baby. Worst case scenario, I have another year of "practice" before NaNo 2010!

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#40 of 232 Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsommer View Post
Any one gearing up to do this? I wanted to try last year, but didn't have the confidence. Now that I'm really focused on getting back into writing, I think I'd like to give it a go this year. If you did it last year, do you have any tips you could recommend for getting started? Did you already have an idea or ideas set in place about what you wanted to write before the actual month started?
I've participated yearly since 2005, but this will be my first year writing with a little one (who will be about 4 months in November). I only won in '05 and '06; I lost interest in my stories for '07 and '08. I usually try to start with some vague idea of what I want to write about, but sometimes I need more planning in order to stick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruething View Post
Those of you with plot ideas already floating around -- are you outlining?

Does anyone find the special programs for writing useful? I've just been using NeoOffice (OpenOffice for Mac). I've tinkered with a few before, but I'm wondering if software will help me be better organized.
I don't usually outline, which may be part of my problem.

I've used Q10 for writing and Liquid Story Binder for organizing info. yWriter and Open Office are popular. Oh, and if you have a GMail account, GoogleDocs is great for having a backup of your work.

Always, always, ALWAYS backup your novel! I cannot stress this enough. I think there are more horror stories of computer crashes and failures than there are actual finished novels at the end of November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernwebgoddess View Post
Do you guys have any local MLs to organize groups?
Yep! I love my MLs. I just need to work on getting to write-ins more often. Back in 2005, the days I went to write-ins were my most productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Am I the only one with NO idea where to start? I have no idea what to write about.
I have a very, very vague idea that I'd like to flesh out. Unfortunately, mommy-brain makes me forget to use my time wisely when the kiddo is asleep.

- Born 7/21/09
#41 of 232 Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM

I've won NaNo two years in a row now. Two years ago I was pregnant and had quit my job, so it was easy...I had nothing to do but write and research homebirth stuff. Last year I wasn't going to do it since I had a 9 month old, but one of my friends was doing it and kept posting novel updates on facebook, and I finally couldn't stand it and started noveling on November 10. I had absolutely no plot and no plan, and I totally finished my draft with 50,000 words by Nov. 30! But it was crazy, and I don't know if DH will let me do it this year, lol. I was staying up till all hours writing! But it was a blast. I actually loved not having a plan...I was asking everyone for ideas...my facebook updates all month said things like, "Should my characters be attacked next by zombies or by a sentient flesh-eating bacteria? Or do you have a better idea?" LOL. All my friends wanted to read it when I finished, since they were all contributing to it!

So...yeah, I really want to do it this year. Right now I'm almost done finishing my 2007 NaNo--hooray!--and I have some ideas for a sequel, so that might be my NaNo this year. If, like I said, DH doesn't beg me not to.

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#42 of 232 Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 PM

I'm just going to make it my goal to write every day in November. I'm not starting a new novel and I'm not going to aim for 50,000 words, but I'm really excited about continuing to work on my current story while cheering on my friends who are doing NaNo!
#43 of 232 Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Alright, so I changed my mind and I'm aiming for that 50k. I created a Facebook group for Parents who are doing NaNoWriMo if you want to check it out and/or join: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=140910658610.
#44 of 232 Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 AM

Just lettin you guys know, the site should be relaunched within the hour with a clean slate and empty forums, ready to go for the 2009 season!
#45 of 232 Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Oooh it looks great and has me excited!!

I'm going to try using Writing.com's October NaNo Prep Calendar (I think you need to register to see it). I need something to get me into the habit of writing every single day.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#46 of 232 Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM

I'm so excited about trying NaNoWriMo this year! I got a twitter just so I could keep up with all the excitement.
#47 of 232 Old 10-06-2009, 04:41 PM

So I wasn't going to do this what with just have twins and all but I just really need something for me. I mean really. Am I nuts?

I have no plot ideas that are jumping out at me which is a bummer because I really wanted to have it planned out well before the big day.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#48 of 232 Old 10-08-2009, 05:57 PM

SOMEONE WANNA FILL ME IN ON WHAT NaNo is?!

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#49 of 232 Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybaby9 View Post
SOMEONE WANNA FILL ME IN ON WHAT NaNo is?!
national novel writing month. goal is to write a novel (50k words) within the 30 days of november. quite a challenge!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#50 of 232 Old 10-09-2009, 04:05 PM

http://www.nanowrimo.org

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#51 of 232 Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for posting this mirta!

#52 of 232 Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM

just out of curiosity, is anyone besides me doing any non-writing related prep for NanoWriMo? I'm personally working on decluttering and various other cleaning and holiday prep now so that I don't have as much to do in November and December, so I hopefully feel less stressed in November and can focus better on my writing. I'm working on the Holiday Grand Plan http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1125201 and while it does have weeks during November, I'm hoping to get as much done in October as possible!!

Kym
#53 of 232 Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 AM

I'm doing it, even though we are moving in November.

I figure, it's worth a try! I must have typed at least 50k words here in one month...

There is a thread in the 30s-40s forum about NaNo vs. kids.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#54 of 232 Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 PM

How is everyone doing with their [non]outlining?

Those of you who'll have a newborn... what better way to spend all that time nursing than NAK?

I have done NaNo (and won) for the past two years. 07 was with an 18mth old (and a Vancouver to L.A. move the week before Thanksgiving) and I gave myself a goal of 50K in 22 days. It can be done if you are determined. Last year, I started with a 5 day old baby. I didn't know if I'd get very far, but I was determined t give it my best. I had the time (all that NAK) but I wasn't expecting to struggle so much with the story--I have a hard time writing (intellectually, not physically) for the first 6-12 months after a birth. I did manage to hit 50K, but it was terrible. I'm looking forward to this year. DH is working from home (both a positive and a negative), and the boys are 3.5 and almost 1 (and now walking) so I think this year may be the hardest yet, but we'll see.

Mirta, I am working on decluttering, too.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#55 of 232 Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 AM

I have an outline done up to the point where it diverges from my personal experience. Today I need to finish section five, and then section six comes next. I think section six will have to be very short for NaNo because I can't research enough to write the details... it will have to rely on what I saw in movies about prisons, so it's going to be a lot of junk.

But I'm going to have fun and I can always change the details later. If I have it down, editing should be a breeze. Not. :P

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#56 of 232 Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mirta, I'm not doing any decluttering per se, but I have been working on The Artist's Way and should be done by the end of the month. So I guess I've decluttered and prepped my mind :-).

I am still clueless for plot and don't want to outline, but I plan on trying mind mapping. At least that will help me get most of my ideas down on paper and in some sort of logical organization.

I'm back to TV-free during the day and my toddler is pretty good about entertaining himself. My 5-week-old is starting to stay awake more, but she likes being worn, so I figure that will keep my hands free. I anticipate having enough freedom to get a decent amount of writing done. I'm so excited...only 6 days to go.

#57 of 232 Old 10-24-2009, 09:38 AM

I'm in!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#58 of 232 Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 AM

please be my buddy MDC mamas!
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/540484

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#59 of 232 Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
please be my buddy MDC mamas!
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/540484
Oh, I add me too! I added you rainbowmoon

#60 of 232 Old 10-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Feel free to friend me, too... I'm Mirta on NaNoWriMo Forums, too!! I friended rainbowmoon & madsommer already!

Kym

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page