NaNoWriMo 2009 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 232 Old 10-25-2009, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Add me, too http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/201597

Mirta, you're my buddy from last year Added madsommer and rainbowmoon!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#62 of 232 Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirta View Post
Feel free to friend me, too... I'm Mirta on NaNoWriMo Forums, too!! I friended rainbowmoon & madsommer already!

Kym
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
Add me, too http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/201597

Mirta, you're my buddy from last year Added madsommer and rainbowmoon!
Added!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#63 of 232 Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 AM

Anyone wanna read my outline and tell me whether it's plausible? It's more than a synopsis. It's about three packed pages.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#64 of 232 Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM

I had a dream last night that tied all of my ideas together so nicely. It even had a great title! But I have forgotten the title. {whines}

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#65 of 232 Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 PM

i added you ladies as buddies! i'm mamaring on nanowrimo.

i'm going into this with zero planning. i'm seeing the whole thing as an emotional purge - time to just let out whatever wants to come out!
#66 of 232 Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Okay, someone enlighten me. I have heard about Nanowrimo as a big month-long writing marathon. Some may use outlines/plot summaries, etc but without a big head start, right?

Doubledutch is winging it (I'm sure others are).

Does it matter that if I, as a total novice to writing novels (but not to writing), will totally suck at it? Is all that matters the 50,000 words and not at all what kind of nonsense I'll create right?

The word count doesn't bother me, nor does only having a month's time to do it in. I blog pretty excessively at times.

The hardest part would simply be coming up with any kind of story that would make sense at all. The only writing workshop advice I ever remember from my high school days is "write about what you know". That and the criticism from my instructor (the illustrious Mort Castle - yeah, you are saying who???? but hey, he's got his own wikipedia page) that told me my characters were 2 dimensional and my plot line was weak thereby forever crushing my dreams to become a novelist. Thanks Mort.

At any rate, for years I'd been thinking about trying it, but eternally scared to do so. However, after blogging for about a year, I think I might actually enjoy it.

I don't know. Is it enjoyable. Have you written crap but was okay with it?

What happens if you start down on path, and then find your story going in directions you never intended it to go?

I think the only way I could do this is make it semi-autobiographical. I mean, taking bits and pieces from my own life and making it into fiction.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#67 of 232 Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post
Does it matter that if I, as a total novice to writing novels (but not to writing), will totally suck at it? Is all that matters the 50,000 words and not at all what kind of nonsense I'll create right?

. . .

I think the only way I could do this is make it semi-autobiographical. I mean, taking bits and pieces from my own life and making it into fiction.
it doesn't matter how crappy it is. the point is to just GO! GO! GO! until you get the word count, and go back and edit later. like you, i'm a long-time-writer, first-time-noveler. yes, that's a word.

as for the second bit i quoted, i think that's pretty normal. i love the scene toward the end of "the darjeeling limited" where the guy stops insisting his work is completely fictional. even if someone is writing science fiction or, i don't know, smut, there are going to be characters or situations or whatever drawn from real life. i don't see how anyone could avoid that even if she tried.

mort sounds like a dink.
#68 of 232 Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
it doesn't matter how crappy it is. the point is to just GO! GO! GO! until you get the word count, and go back and edit later. like you, i'm a long-time-writer, first-time-noveler. yes, that's a word.

as for the second bit i quoted, i think that's pretty normal. i love the scene toward the end of "the darjeeling limited" where the guy stops insisting his work is completely fictional. even if someone is writing science fiction or, i don't know, smut, there are going to be characters or situations or whatever drawn from real life. i don't see how anyone could avoid that even if she tried.

That's good to know about just taking the plunge. I do have a story idea perhaps. I have less than 2 days to decide to do this. I like this part of the FAQ:

Quote:
Part of the reason we organize NaNoWriMo is just to get a book written. We love the fringe benefits accrued to novelists. For one month out of the year, we can stew and storm, and make a huge mess of our apartments and drink lots of coffee at odd hours. And we can do all of these things loudly, in front of people. As satisfying as it is to reach deep within yourself and pull out an unexpectedly passable work of art, it is equally (if not more) satisfying to be able to dramatize the process at social gatherings.

#69 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 PM

Yay! I joined the insanity today. I know there's at least one book in me (and maybe even more).

My username is sciencemama

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/566200

Can I add you ladies to my buddy lists? I could sure use the company. I'm so nervous.

#70 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
it doesn't matter how crappy it is. the point is to just GO! GO! GO! until you get the word count, and go back and edit later.
Thanks for this! I'm a first time nano-er and I'm sitting here biting my nails in anticipation of tomorrow.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#71 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruething View Post
Thanks for this! I'm a first time nano-er and I'm sitting here biting my nails in anticipation of tomorrow.
Me too. I realize I have 3 stories I'd like to see written, but choosing which one and coming up with a title is proving to be so HARD!

I think I'm going to write about the 5 years I spent in a crime lab and turning it into fiction, focusing more on the relationships and the stress of working in a major metropolitan crime lab. I've got lots of material locked up in my head. I think it actually might even be publishable some day.

Did you say what your NaNo username was?

#72 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to write about the 5 years I spent in a crime lab and turning it into fiction, focusing more on the relationships and the stress of working in a major metropolitan crime lab. I've got lots of material locked up in my head. I think it actually might even be publishable some day.
Oh I love that genre. Sounds like something I'd read!

#73 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 PM

Hey y'all! I am so excited for NaNoWriMo this year. I am determined to finish this time. This year I am really focusing on doing it for myself

I am loving the brainstorming I have been doing. I am especially excited because I like my story this year.

I am MaggieFrances over there is anyone wants to add me

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#74 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 05:41 PM

I only just officially joined today so my profile is still blank. I used my same username there -- onetruething -- http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/567149/

#75 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Oh I love that genre. Sounds like something I'd read!
The best part is that I'm going to a Halloween party tonight to see my old friends at the crime lab I worked in - I've been friends with them for almost 10 years now. Being around them and talking with them will surely bring back some memories and help me think about the story I want to portray.

I'm actually getting so THRILLED to do this. Even if I don't make it to the end, even if it's garbage the first go 'round, I'm so excited about it.

I'm going to have to write without a title, I think, and hopefully a title will come to me as I write, because I can't think of anything remotely good right now (and I've always had trouble with titles - even blog post titles give me trouble).

#76 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 06:02 PM

OK, I've been debating the issue for weeks... I'm going to try it. I keep thinking I can't do it this year, due to the risk of neglecting my kiddos too much. Not sure why my brain tells me that goofing off on the computer every day is "necessary recharge time", whereas doing something productive on the computer, like writing my very own crappy novel, is neglect. Nice try brain- I'm going to go for it anyway. I'm stuck in this chair rocking or nursing a child for hours each day anyway, may as well use that time for more than goofing off.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#77 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Hey y'all! I am so excited for NaNoWriMo this year. I am determined to finish this time. This year I am really focusing on doing it for myself

I am loving the brainstorming I have been doing. I am especially excited because I like my story this year.

I am MaggieFrances over there is anyone wants to add me
I added you...and um...I like your name, Maggie Frances. I think I want to use it for a character name, maybe even the MC.

#78 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 06:31 PM

Too funny! I have a Maggie in mine, too.

#79 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

ya! i'm so excited to see everyone doing this! the other day ideas started forming in my head so now i do have a small outline formed, but i'm very excited about my story. i hope it turns out well.

anyone else planning on starting right at midnight?

off to add you all as writing buddies

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#80 of 232 Old 10-31-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I added you...and um...I like your name, Maggie Frances. I think I want to use it for a character name, maybe even the MC.
Thanks! My name is Margaret Frances and it has taken me a looong time to like it let alone be ok with it. I HATED it growing up.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#81 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Happy Noveling all!!! Hope the first day of NanoWriMo goes well for all of you.. As for me DS woke around 5am (remnants of last night's excitemnet???) and would not/could not get back to sleep.. So, after about 2 hours of trying (I was too tired to get up sooner) we got up... He's tired and fussy and so am I... and I'm attempting to ward off the resulting "lack of decent sleep headache".. No desire to write, just want to sleep... Not a good start for NaNoWriMo!

Hope everyone else is having a better day!
#82 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 PM

I'm in. I have a membership from last year..let me find it and add you all!

Allgirls

I am parcarsons
#83 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirta View Post
Happy Noveling all!!! Hope the first day of NanoWriMo goes well for all of you.. As for me DS woke around 5am (remnants of last night's excitemnet???) and would not/could not get back to sleep.. So, after about 2 hours of trying (I was too tired to get up sooner) we got up... He's tired and fussy and so am I... and I'm attempting to ward off the resulting "lack of decent sleep headache".. No desire to write, just want to sleep... Not a good start for NaNoWriMo!

Hope everyone else is having a better day!
I'm right there with you. But the reason is different. Dh and I came home from the Halloween party we went to last night at 3:30 am and had to get the kids from my mothers at 9 am. I'm sleepy.

I did get three lines written. Woo-Hoo!

Happy writing!

#84 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 04:21 PM

I was up and sick at 4am this morning, so my nano-ing with zest plan has been thwarted. I'm about to go sit up in bed with my netbook so maybe I'll get at least SOME words typed.

#85 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Can I have buddies, too?

I added onetruething, allgirls (parcarsons), magstphil (MaggieFrances), Miss Information (sciencemama), doubledutch (mamaring), Bella Catalina, Mirta, madsommer, and rainbowmoon (aprilmoonflower). Did I miss anybody?

I'm notjustmamie there, too.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#86 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 07:51 PM

I'm allibut

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#87 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 PM

I think i'm going to try this this year. I've started novels before (outlines, storyboards... very little actual writing, tho...) and never got very far. I think the freedom to just write, without regard to quality, will be helpful. My username is aahree there also. I'll add you all!

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#88 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamja View Post
I'm allibut
I did a search but that username didn't come up.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#89 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Added everyone as buddies Happy nanoing, everyone!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#90 of 232 Old 11-01-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I was up and sick at 4am this morning, so my nano-ing with zest plan has been thwarted. I'm about to go sit up in bed with my netbook so maybe I'll get at least SOME words typed.
Oh, mama. That's stinky. Sending you healing thoughts your way. I got to thinking...the only thing that would really put a kink in things is getting sick. All too possible

sending

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page