Mothering Forum banner

October Noveling!

10K views 82 replies 7 participants last post by  allgirls 
#1 ·
I was about to report my success for the day and realised it's October! Hope I'm not stepping any toes by starting this thread.

So how did September go? What are your goals for October? Are you going to get ready for nanwrimo? Can't believe it's that time again. I did it last year and won however this year I'm opting out because I'm working so hard on this one.

Me: September was great, made great strides and hoping to keep the momentum going with my goal of being finished the first draft by Oct 20th still at the forefront.

I sent Chapter One to some first readers today for some feedback. I'll let you know what they say.

Today I wrote 3130 words and I'm at 64,474 and you know I have to be completely tempted to write up to 65,000.

Yay October!! Let's write!

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Boom! 1500w.
Just going with the flow...

Queries! That IS exciting! I cannot imagine how that must feel...I mean, I think about the gut-wrenching experience of committing to the identity of a writer. I hope I have the guts for that someday.
Yay you!
yay!

#28 ·
1500, woohoo!
I'm trying to decide if I should plunge into another novel or what... I have some short stories I could pull out and revise. Maybe.

As for the queries, each agent seems to have different requirements. Two wanted a query letter, synopsis, and 5 pages. One wanted a query letter, synopsis, and the first chapter (and that's the one that only accepts queries by postal mail). Two want JUST a query letter. (I decided 5 was enough to start with.)

ONE of them already rejected me, too. Pooh. Oh, well. It's kinda like selling short stories, I'm starting with the agents who are top names in the field and working my way down. Though I only have 17 agents on my list so it's not like there's a long way down to go.

#29 ·
1300 words today and a bit of fixing up but I only had a hour and a half to write today so I'm calling it a huge victory. Managed to squeeze some research into it as well.

Pshaw...well the thing with agents is they are not necessarily looking for "good" but rather "marketable" so timing is everything...ten years ago Twilight might not have been published..it hit an agent a the right time.

And it's not great work, but sure is marketable!

#30 ·
Aufilia - Queries!! Very exciting!

1jooj - Grats on 1500 words!

allgirls - Funny you should say that. I am currently stuck on mundane stuff. lol It's my perfectionism getting in the way. I may finally just give in to my planner side and do a more complete outline to get it out of my system once and for all.

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by onetruething View Post
Aufilia - Queries!! Very exciting!

1jooj - Grats on 1500 words!

allgirls - I may finally just give in to my planner side and do a more complete outline to get it out of my system once and for all.
I did a chapter by chapter on a spreadsheet to see where I was, holes I needed to fill etc. and it was very motivating....what I had done was way bigger than what was left. It helped tremendously and I think improved the book considerably, making it more organized. I have to do it again soon, because I've done so much work, and not updated. But it'll be easier this time. And as it stands I think my first 5 chapters are DONE anyway.

Perfectionism can be paralysing if you don't recognise it and realise that something is better than nothing and crap can be shovelled up.

Also, usually, I write a bunch of crap, inspiration kicks in and suddenly something great comes out.

I'm sitting here wondering...should I open the spreadsheet. The house is a mess, I need to go to the store, I'm making a portabello lasagna for dinner and I pick the kids up in an hour...I really shouldn't but I want to!

I love writing!

#32 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
Pshaw...well the thing with agents is they are not necessarily looking for "good" but rather "marketable" so timing is everything...ten years ago Twilight might not have been published..it hit an agent a the right time.
Right, and that "marketable" thing is probably going against me. Right now urban fantasy is the hot SF/F subgenre. Like if you look up SF/F new releases on Amazon, I think about 90% of everything is urban fantasy of some sort. And I just do not write that at all.

Quote:

allgirls - Funny you should say that. I am currently stuck on mundane stuff. lol It's my perfectionism getting in the way. I may finally just give in to my planner side and do a more complete outline to get it out of my system once and for all.
I did an outline before writing mine, and I felt it really helped me get the story organized in a way that worked for me. I used Excel as well, and summarized each scene, one scene per cell... I probably had around 60 scenes though I haven't counted.

#33 ·
Last night I sat down and read the entire manuscript...ok...I have around 6 chapters to write or scenes to add to chapters including a major one that will be short and intense(a death) and then the reaction to the death. I'm leaving them until last but they're all thought out in my mind. They're not the end of the story but they're very emotionally charged and have to be perfect. Plus I'm afraid to write the death because there is more the character has to do in the book and I'm afraid I will get hung up on the fact that he's dead..I know, silly but they're real to me.

And I have several more chapters to write that have to show the essence of the relationship between the two lovers. They are fillers really but very important but difficult because they have a secret affair that always takes place at her house so not a lot of scenery so it's all dialogue and description but not a lot of variety. Two chapters will be all lovey dovey and then the rest will have examples of things drifting apart.

But that's it.

And when I read through last night I thought "this is a good first draft" and I'm very happy with my work.

It was a decision making night as well. I cut some stuff, my word count is down but I may cut more.

So now it's back to actual writing because the story needs to be finished.

And that's how the outline works for me...I go back to my spreadsheet now, check of what's done, enter what needs to be done and then move on to the next one...until all blanks are filled.

Next time I think I'm doing an outline first.

#34 ·
At least you know exactly what you need to do, right?

I hit a speed bump with a couple of days with zero time inside the house to write. I plan to spend about two hours today while kids are at school. I have a party away from home tomorrow and will likely have some time in the evening, and Sunday should give me a couple of hours to work. I'll be back at goal soon. I know where to start as soon as I have a moment.

#35 ·
Quote:

Last night I sat down and read the entire manuscript

I started reading my 2nd draft 2 weeks ago and I'm only halfway through! Ugh!

Have your readers given feedback yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufilia
And do you really want to wait until it's "perfect" in your mind to have someone else tell you all the places where it might NOT be perfect? Depressing!
Hmmmm. Good point! It's funny, I am very open to suggestions in some areas, while you couldn't pay me to change others --- even to sell the novel. I know I've captured these scenes the way I want them, even if I'm the only person in the world to see it that way.

Do any of you have parts of your stories that you wouldn't change for anyone?
I know there is a school of thought that a writer should always be willing to rewrite, but is anything sacred?

#36 ·
Quote:

Perfectionism can be paralysing if you don't recognise it and realise that something is better than nothing and crap can be shovelled up.

Also, usually, I write a bunch of crap, inspiration kicks in and suddenly something great comes out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
I did an outline before writing mine, and I felt it really helped me get the story organized in a way that worked for me. I used Excel as well, and summarized each scene, one scene per cell... I probably had around 60 scenes though I haven't counted.

Quote:

I cut some stuff, my word count is down but I may cut more.

So now it's back to actual writing because the story needs to be finished.

And that's how the outline works for me...I go back to my spreadsheet now, check of what's done, enter what needs to be done and then move on to the next one...until all blanks are filled.

Next time I think I'm doing an outline first.
Thanks for this!! It was such a beautiful Autumn day yesterday. I grabbed my notebook and a pen, sat outside and gave the Snowflake Method a whirl. It worked!
Something about being outside just inspires me. This would be a wonderful revelation if a New England winter weren't on its way next. LOL I only got through step #2, but I feel so good. I'm moving forward versus feeling stuck.

#37 ·
Yay! Glad it's working for you!

Another tool that I like is the "comments" part of Word.

I set the comment at the word (Chapter) and write in the comment what it's about. If I feel the need to add a chapter...I simply write the word Chapter and some ideas of what the chapter will have/the scene etc. and "to be written"

I'm writing one chapter today and then putting comments on my chapter headings. It really helps find stuff when you are shuffling through as well.

#40 ·
Sat down last night and wrote down some thoughts I'd had on a book2. I ended up writing synopsis-style in a Word doc instead of my spreadsheet. So I've got a writeup of the first two or three chapters and some notes about related events later in the story. A minor character who appeared in about 5 pages of book 1 turns out to be important in hindsight...

I'm thinking I'd like to sit down and write 2 or 3 chapters now, if I can, even if I'm not sure what all happens after that. I'm pretty sure I won't be writing much after this kid is born for awhile anyhow.

#41 ·
Quote:

Grats!!

One of my lightbulb moments today -- I WILL get to satiate my geek side due to the research into Greek Mythology I will need to do. Yay!

Yay! Geek from the Greek!

I'm idea gathering...no actual writing tonight but lots of ideas for improvements right now coming. I was cleaning and thinking earlier...inspiration can be found in any place where you don't use your brain for what you are doing. I have a very clean bathroom and some new ideas for some scenes/chapters I have left.

#44 ·
Yay

I think we're all on a roll! The planets must have lined up for us somehow. I wrote another 1589 words tonight for a total of 77, 251 and I'm starting to realise this book will hit 80,000 words before the first draft is complete...wow!

Or maybe we're all riding on each other's enthusiasm.

So I had my MC and her best friend get drunk when he doesn't show up. Great and very entertaining filler, she's drunk and it gets pretty raunchy with the jokes but it's entertaining.

I think it's a fun chapter plus I'm trying to give her reason to break up with h im and I needed some things to go wrong and the best friend is a reformed homewrecker who decided she didn't want other people's husbands anymore, that she was worthy of her own, and she's unaware the mc is seeing a married man so it works to plant a seed. They have this drunken conversation and the bf bares her soul and the mc starts to thinking. I think it works.

#45 ·
I GOT A REQUEST FOR A PARTIAL from one of the agents!
Of the 5, I've gotten 1 rejection (like 4 hours after I sent the query
) and 1 partial.

And on top of that DH got not one, but TWO job offers today! He is super excited about the new job, I am super excited about his new salary.. .the only downside is he's now starting a new job ON my due date. But we have a plan and I'm ok with it, so we'll deal.

AND A PARTIAL!!!

Quote:

inspiration can be found in any place where you don't use your brain for what you are doing. I have a very clean bathroom and some new ideas for some scenes/chapters I have left.
That's so true, I used to do some great thinking on the bus when I was still working. And I still get a lot of good thinking in awhile driving... though I'm not sure that says anything good about my driving...

80k is nice... what's the "preferred length" in your genre?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
2,900w tonight! Back on track, just unloading the scenes from my brain. Feels so good to make steady progress! Nearing 9,000w!
Good for you! If you're writing a 90k novel you're 10% there.

#46 ·
Hooray on the partial! That is awesome! Good luck with it.

I have no idea how long this novel needs to be. I have the entire story except the resolution. It's not short, takes place on two continents and involves two cultures, so I have some dialogue challenges. At the rate I'm going, I'm thinking 100-120k.

But that's OK! By the end of the weekend, I'll be at 10%!

On inspiration, I agree that "mindless" activities are really helpful. Anything that engages the hands/bodies and allows the brain to settle. I usually run, but I am on a break from running due to an injury. Floor scrubbing is helpful, too...but my current problem is that, while dh is gone, the kids need me for a lot more of their social interaction. And they are both big talkers. So there is no going into my own head while they're around. And I have two weeks before dh is back.

#48 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
I GOT A REQUEST FOR A PARTIAL from one of the agents!
Of the 5, I've gotten 1 rejection (like 4 hours after I sent the query
) and 1 partial.

And on top of that DH got not one, but TWO job offers today! He is super excited about the new job, I am super excited about his new salary.. .the only downside is he's now starting a new job ON my due date. But we have a plan and I'm ok with it, so we'll deal.

AND A PARTIAL!!!

Omg...I'm so excited for you! You are on your way and I am thrilled!

I am now at 81,069 and I worked out some issues with motivation that I was having. I wrote 3818 word this morning!

I'm on such a roll! But I have housework to do and the final 5 chapters will have to wait until next week...so it's dreaming, fantasizing and cleaning time

Cannot wait to have your published book in my hand Aufilia!

#49 ·
Weekend was a total bust. I am disheartened but not totally beat. Ds is home with something a lot like flu, and I am hoping dd follows soon, so it doesn't drag out forever.
But I guess today I'll use the excuse of making myself available to ds and take the laptop to the couch after barn chores. Might be able to make some progress today. Here's hoping...

#50 ·
Good luck!

I've sat down and looked at chapter 1 of the new novel every day and wrote about 500 words over the weekend... but I'm not really feeling "IT" yet.

I had planned to go to the coffee shop with my notebook and just write by hand a bit this morning while DD was in preschool and DH was at work, but instead, we got home last night to find one of the cats limping and I ended up at the vet instead.

#51 ·
Good morning everybody! Well I'm sitting at 82, 985 words. Wrote a chapter yesterday and worked out a surprise ending I didn't see coming but it works very well to tie things up at the end.

I am a few chapters from finished and think I will have a good first draft completed by the 20th which was my goal. Then I have company for a few weeks beginning on the 27th until the second week in November. This will force me to set things aside I guess though I'm anxious to get revising asap.

I want this book complete by Spring..think I'm aiming for my birthday which is in April!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.