November Noveling... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
October Noveling

Ok, whether you're chugging along with your days/weeks/months/years old novel or participating in NaNoMo, let's be miserable and joyful in our writing journey together!

Today I'm editing while 'watching football' at my FIL's...my DH's idea of a wonderful Sunday...at least I have my chapters to keep me company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 03:51 PM

wrote 2330 trashy words for NaNoWriMo

and edited the first twelve chapters of my real novel which really went well after purging in the nano writing!

Inlaws come tomorrow...gonna do the nano stuff first then put the novel on hold for a bit...if I can...
#3 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 PM

delurking to say hi

It's NaNo time : which means dropping my WIP for a month (and hoping for fresh vision when I go back to my WIP).

My muse dropped a YA story idea in my lap at 11pm last night, and seeing as my other plot seemed a little lacking (and therefore not something I wish to undertake during the craziness that is November), I've decided to run with it.

This is my third NaNo, and hoping for third win this year. Is anyone else challenging themselves to aim for more than 50K? I am toying with 65K, but I don't want to set myself up for failure--we've just found out we may be moving back to HI for 6 months and if we go, they want us there before Thanksgiving...

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#4 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 AM

I wrote 2370 words for NaNo today on 4 hours of sleep (had a Halloween party last night). I am actually having a lot of fun, for never having attempted anything this ambitious before (longtime blogger though).

I actually feel like I have a lot of energy. When I reach a place where I feel like taking a break, I have energy to tackle some housework. I write a little, clean a little, go back to writing...I hope I can keep this up. I was worried I was going to have to ignore the housekeeping for a month in order to do this, but really, I think this is very do-able.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#5 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM

sigh.... have been undecided about nano for some time now and think im gonna have to pass. i am so far in my WIP that i don't want to stop now but just finish the darn thing! 97000 words but my ending still sucks and i am editing away like crazy in the beginning. i am supposed to have chapters 1-5 ready by tomorrow for my lit agent to go over for a second edit and i am no where near ready

it's such a catch 22- really want to be done with this book but at the same time couldn't imagine not writing it anymore!

Mama to my three little loveys and living the good life in the beautiful Pacific North West 
#6 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 AM

i am struggling to re-write a scene that doesn't seem to want to be re-written... but i know it needs to be done!

Mama to my three little loveys and living the good life in the beautiful Pacific North West 
#7 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 AM

subscribing --- 1/2 way through 3rd revision --- need to locate a writing class and readers --- my 2-yr-old hated daycare, so I won't be going back to work anytime soon --- whether this gives me more or less time for writing remains to be seen...

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#8 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 AM

6000 words on NaNo so far! I'm starting an old story I wrote from scratch, though. I don't know if that's cheating, but it does make it easier that I already have some characters in my head and know vaguely where they're going.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#9 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna-cat View Post
i am struggling to re-write a scene that doesn't seem to want to be re-written... but i know it needs to be done!
I hate those scenes. They don't seem any easier the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time around... Good luck to you!

#10 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
it's such a catch 22- really want to be done with this book but at the same time couldn't imagine not writing it anymore!
I'm feeling the same way about my current (non-NaNo) WIP. I have maybe four or five scenes left to write in the middle of the book (and FWIW, I think my ending sucks, too), and while my MCs appear in future books, it's more in passing. I have lived and breathed these characters (on and off) for two years now and I am stalling because I don't want to say goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
6000 words on NaNo so far! I'm starting an old story I wrote from scratch, though. I don't know if that's cheating, but it does make it easier that I already have some characters in my head and know vaguely where they're going.
That's what I did for the book I mentioned above for NaNo 2007. It's an idea that had maybe 10-15K down and had been floating around since 2000 or so, but when I rewrote it for NaNo (from scratch), the characters took me in a different direction than I'd originally planned. Run with it

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#11 of 28 Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post
I wrote 2370 words for NaNo today on 4 hours of sleep (had a Halloween party last night). I am actually having a lot of fun, for never having attempted anything this ambitious before (longtime blogger though).

I actually feel like I have a lot of energy. When I reach a place where I feel like taking a break, I have energy to tackle some housework. I write a little, clean a little, go back to writing...I hope I can keep this up. I was worried I was going to have to ignore the housekeeping for a month in order to do this, but really, I think this is very do-able.
but are you ignoring blogging for NaNoMo?
#12 of 28 Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
sigh.... have been undecided about nano for some time now and think im gonna have to pass. i am so far in my WIP that i don't want to stop now but just finish the darn thing! 97000 words but my ending still sucks and i am editing away like crazy in the beginning. i am supposed to have chapters 1-5 ready by tomorrow for my lit agent to go over for a second edit and i am no where near ready

did you make your deadline? how'd it go? what's your book about? if it's not TMI
#13 of 28 Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
kill your darlings! they'll resist, but you just have to cut them off...
#14 of 28 Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

submitted a chapter to the writing critique group I'm in...if I ever do something like this again I'll make sure to submit 2nd draft versions inlue of 1st! 1st drafts are HORRIBLE! I know. I wrote one But the second draft starts making the whole book so much better. Here's to hoping they like it...

although I know enough now to stop myself from trying to make them happy. It's my book. Although they do have some good pointers, they are not my agent/editor/publisher...and I'm thinking I might stop going soon anyway since I can't afford all the paper to print out everyone else's chapters! I do enjoy editing though.

I just say Nathan Bradford's "1st paragraph" contest a week too late. I'd love to hear what he thinks of mine
#15 of 28 Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM

I've also set down my WIP for a month of NaNo. I'm a little over 7k w into my new project. I don't like it when I feel like I get to the point where I'm pouring in schlock because it's word count over content, but I'm getting over it and (I hope!) strengthening the discipline to write daily.

My other WIP, in the meantime, is taking shape in my mind. I realize I need to go over a lot of the previous work I'd done on it and salvage, rather than discard and start clean over. There was good thought and good work in there. So, at least that's good news.
#16 of 28 Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM

I'm on track for nano..I'm treating like the artist pages...just writing it all first to get it out of the way..

I've started editing my novel also and what I"m finding is that I LOVE the last half but the first half needs a lot of work....I think I need to really rewrite the first 15 chapters...I guess I just improved along the way

My inlaws come back this morning and will be here for a week.

Kids are off until Monday...

It's gonna be interesting!
#17 of 28 Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
kill your darlings! they'll resist, but you just have to cut them off...
i have conflicting opinions on this idea... yes i understand wanting to be objective in your writing so you can have a better sense of what is 'good' and what isn't... but isn't liking what you write part of the passion with writing?

i frequently go through and heartwrenching as it is, cut out chunks that i enjoy but don't do much for my story. how much cutting is neccasary?

#18 of 28 Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
did you make your deadline? how'd it go? what's your book about? if it's not TMI
yes, i was up insanely late trying to put it together but i got it all turned in! haven't heard back yet from her but we're scheduled to meet next week so hopefully it will go well. last chapters i turned in she pretty much tore apart and told me it sounded like a 'goosebumps' novel- yikes.

my book is about a young girl who discovers that she is a strange mythological creature (a nymph) and with that realization comes a whole world of danger and history. because of her lineage she was hidden at a young age and raised unaware of her true identity until late in adolescents when she begins to phase into a nymph, and the needs the help of others like herself to learn how to control herself so the phasing doesn't kill her.

I love the book and even though i have been working on it consistantly for over a year now i still feel like i have so much to do! i am going to jump for joy when i can officially say that it's done.

#19 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
i have conflicting opinions on this idea... yes i understand wanting to be objective in your writing so you can have a better sense of what is 'good' and what isn't... but isn't liking what you write part of the passion with writing?

i frequently go through and heartwrenching as it is, cut out chunks that i enjoy but don't do much for my story. how much cutting is neccasary?
Oh my don't kill your darlings just because they are your darlings!!!

Keep the ones that carry the story, that create your voice, that are pure inspiration and necessary bits of beauty.

Kill the ones that sort of sit there, outside the main story, make it fumbly or are superfluous. You know when they trip you up.

But yes..some, often many, of your darlings get to stay as long as they are purposeful!

Allgirsl
#20 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 PM

I'm about 2000 words short on my nano schedule but I've managed to revise up to and including chapter 7 of my wip.

My little one wound up with pneumonia and the inlaws just left yesterday.

I am so happy they were here when she got sick...it was great not to be alone with a sick baby doing it all. She is well now, still on antibiotics for 4 more days but coming along fine and returning to school Monday.

I also got a part time job that will work with the kids school schedule at an upscale consignment shop that is very crunchy and sells slings and cd's and all sorts of funky organic toys and stuff. I'm happy I will have a little income, still be able to do the television gig and have time to write!!!

Oh...and the Michael Jackson Anthology that I contributed to has been released! I am so proud of my little poem, being included with works from a poet laureate and a friend of Michael Jackson and fantastic international artists and human rights activists. I can't wait for my copy to arrive! I've posted a link in my siggy. It'll be available on Amazon soon too

I get to go to the launch party in Toronto and meet everyone...I'm so happy! It's my first "writer" think

Glad everyone is still writing up a storm! I should update my word count on my nano page I guess!

And another poem was accepted into a Canadian Poetry Journal!

Oh..and I blogged today too...yep..things are looking up again!

Yay..I'm writing again!
#21 of 28 Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Congratulations, allgilrs!!!! Go you!

#22 of 28 Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 AM

I'm working on the last paragraph of Chapter 16 and suddenly it hit me...I'm over a third of the way through the second draft!

Of course there is a lot to be done because the first third is pretty good and the end is good but there is a lot of work in the middle because I changed something pretty major after I had done it, went back to change some things and, well..it's still a bit messy...

But it's coming along!
#23 of 28 Old 11-21-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

congrats on everything, allgirls!

curious - what is everyone's NaNoMo word count?

I myself have been slacking majorly since I've been very ill and so fuzzy mentally I don't want to mess up my novel But I feel a burst of energy comin' on...going in with the intent to kill off anything that drags the story and hinders the flow. I've got 165K so far....I need to cut a lot out and make it stronger. Hoping to condense it to maybe 100K?

What's a good word count for chiclit?
#24 of 28 Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 PM

I'm at around 102k but I'm likely going to sit around 95k when I've edited the second draft...I started at 96 but added some new chapters when I realised I was leaving a hole and it was out of laziness....now I"m back to editing and it's down again to 102...the darlings are flying all over the place now but I've reused some in places where they fit better.

My book has a poetic theme and feel to it so I get to be more "prosey" then I will in the next one so I'm taking advantage of it.

The next book is darker though still a romance but also a fantasy type book.

I am so excited to finish the first to start the next story!

And my poetry book is one picture from complete!

I hope the kids stop with the sickness now. It's been a month of one t hing after another.

wtg MommyHawk. It takes a lot of willpower not to write when you want to. I think 165,000 is HUGE but it's around the size of m ost of the books I read but to write..massive..lol...don't cut for the sake of cutting, only for the sake of improving!

Breeze
#25 of 28 Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 PM

I'm at 41, 000 for nanowrimo..I'll finish this piece of crap! I have to say, writing this before I work on my WIP is fantastic! It clears me up I guess like the writers pages from the Artist's Way!
#26 of 28 Old 11-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Nanowrimo is done!

Complimentary copies of my poetry book are on their way to me! Publishing date is December 15

Four of my poems are being published in literary magazines/journals...one I've been asked to read at the provincial launch(one of a series of national events) in the spring (nervous but I'm going to do it!!) and one in a Michael Jackson tribute anthology. I've been invited to that launch party as well to read but it's much smaller and more casual.

And the novel is my primary focus now! I've got some great ideas to make it better and I have removed one chapter and will be completely changing two others.

I'm gonna take it easy until after Christmas and then I have the entire winter to finish it and get it ready to be submitted!

I like the way things are going. Not a lot of money but a whole lot of happiness and satisfaction!
#27 of 28 Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I wrote a new prologue which is a rape scene...and I know it works so well with my book...but the trouble is...my family...KWIM?

this is what the book is about. And there is no way around it. My MC was raped in the past and it has made her who she is today...and it's not in total detail, but it's a rape.

This is to say it ever gets published

I'm not going to stress about it. But it does poke at me every so often. That WHAT IF they freak? question...

Maybe I'll just tell them to be happy for me and not read the book! LOL
#28 of 28 Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I wrote a new prologue which is a rape scene...and I know it works so well with my book...but the trouble is...my family...KWIM?

this is what the book is about. And there is no way around it. My MC was raped in the past and it has made her who she is today...and it's not in total detail, but it's a rape.

This is to say it ever gets published

I'm not going to stress about it. But it does poke at me every so often. That WHAT IF they freak? question...

Maybe I'll just tell them to be happy for me and not read the book! LOL
Yeah...it's a dilemma...they really don't know how sick my mind is ...my book has a lot of recreational drugs, casual sex and that isn't the problem..the problem is it's no big deal for these characters...not earth shattering, life altering issues...they just like a bit of pot and, well sex too.

but..these are characters, not me.

So tough...I guess I'm a grown woman..this is what I write.

Rape is a tough one but something that happens and is disturbing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page