Writing a query letter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. Sporadic poster/lurker here. Jumping the gun a little, but how does one write a query letter for an unsolicited manuscript? It is for a non-fiction book that truly does not exist in the market at all (I looked, hard, to find a book like this one and turned up nothing).

TIA.

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#2 of 9 Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 PM

check out the Query Shark blog and see if maybe you can post something there - careful, you'll get bitten for sure! But only a squeaky wheel gets the oil. Start asking questions to agents, editors, publishers. Bug them until you get an answer.

Have you started writing yet? The best thing to have done is your book. Query and then send them a few chapters when they request it.
#3 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post

Have you started writing yet? The best thing to have done is your book. Query and then send them a few chapters when they request it.
I am at the research stage. I do need some advice, but I hesitate to ask anyone because I don't want someone without a full-time job (!) to take my idea and write it before I do. I can probably finish a section and send it off by the end of the year (I am a teacher, and we have a break over the holidays) but it will take me awhile to get the whole thing done.

HoneyFern

The Blog

#4 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 05:01 PM

I've written a non fiction book. It's not published yet because I haven't gotten around to it, I got so caught up in fiction stuff..which is my first love.

Would you like to pm me your idea and maybe I could give you some feedback/ideas/starting points...I promise I won't write or steal it or even breathe a word of it to anyone else....I only write specific things and odds are your idea isn't one of them plus I'm devoted to fiction now.

Allgirls.
#5 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Jumping in here. But in my research I have done I have heard/read that it's actually better to submit a query letter and then when you have a bite, to write the book. Instead of taking the time and energy for something that may never be published. How do any of you feel about this. This is the route I was thinking about going. Only because I work well under pressure and deadline. Without that, the book just seems to be looming, with little to not time to write it. However if I had someone to tell me, write it by X date..well then, I know I could get it done.
Opinions?

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#6 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post
Jumping in here. But in my research I have done I have heard/read that it's actually better to submit a query letter and then when you have a bite, to write the book. Instead of taking the time and energy for something that may never be published. How do any of you feel about this. This is the route I was thinking about going. Only because I work well under pressure and deadline. Without that, the book just seems to be looming, with little to not time to write it. However if I had someone to tell me, write it by X date..well then, I know I could get it done.
Opinions?
This might work for non-fiction with a very tightly structured/ready to go outline/format. I would suggest having the first 15-20 chapters completed though in case they want to see it.

As for me, I just like to write..publishing is secondary...I have to write, it's like breathing for me...but I write fiction so it's a bit different.

Not to say non-fiction writers can't feel the same way about writing as I do.

Allgirls
#7 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM

That makes sense Thank you. And you are right, that was for non fiction guidelines for a book one is wanting to get published.

#8 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post
Opinions?
I agree with this for me. I could go for years generating ideas, but I need a deadline. I work very well under pressure, too, and actually need more thinking and planning time than writing time. The idea I am working on would be non-fiction with a tight structure and organization.

Ideas on a format for the letter or examples? I have never written one.

HoneyFern

The Blog

#9 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 02:40 PM

New to this too, so I had to get myself a book on the subject. I settled on "The Idiots Guide to Getting Published". LOL They have a great section on query letter dos and don'ts and a good section on a Proposal as well. I'm going to read up more on it , but will follow the basics of that book. There are tons out there on this subject so it shouldn't be hard to find more info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page