First novel attempt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I started writing a novel. I need something creative to do this winter, I have to stretch and push myself a bit... blogging comes all too easily, and honestly I don't know if I am very good at that either but it's time to expand.

I started and then it seems that I get stuck, I get petrified, start thinking it's silly to try and write a novel, who is going to read it anyway? I hate reading poorly written novels full of fluff so I am afraid to be the writer that writes it! But then again if I never try... see my dilemma?

Any words of wisdom? What do I do? Just keep writing? Do you have a novel end in mind when you start or does it come to you later? Do you develop your characters ahead of time or do they grow with your writing? Thoughts?

~Jasmine - Hunka Hub 8/07 - Mini Man 6/08 ~ Blog in profile! ~ Supporting Mothering through the WAHMarket ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Well. It's not the same as a novel. But there's a book called "the screenwriter's workbook". By Syd Field. Go get it on interlibrary loan. It will help you develop your story sin fluffiness.
I really liked it. Maybe it will help you figure out what you want to do.
#3 of 5 Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Alright I won't leave you hanging like that. The screenwriters workbook has excersizes and lesson designed to help you flesh out and then lay out your story, develop your charachters. You know your charachters should grow somehow during your story. It helps you with that.
It's not some long tedious read. Again, I really enjoyed it. It keeps you moving forward with your piece of work.
#4 of 5 Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJazzy1 View Post
So I started writing a novel. I need something creative to do this winter, I have to stretch and push myself a bit... blogging comes all too easily, and honestly I don't know if I am very good at that either but it's time to expand.

I started and then it seems that I get stuck, I get petrified, start thinking it's silly to try and write a novel, who is going to read it anyway? I hate reading poorly written novels full of fluff so I am afraid to be the writer that writes it! But then again if I never try... see my dilemma?

Any words of wisdom? What do I do? Just keep writing? Do you have a novel end in mind when you start or does it come to you later? Do you develop your characters ahead of time or do they grow with your writing? Thoughts?
Yes, just keep writing! All these fears are normal, they come and go. I find that if I think about the final product too early, or if I imagine people reading it, it is an instant blocker.

For me, most of the fun in writing is to not exactly know what is going to happen. i sort of know, I see glimpses, but most of it evolves as i write. I absolutely LOVE this process. I read many interviews with writers who say just that, so I guess this is normal, and it is possible to produce novels this way.

My characters sort of grow with my writing. I get really bored developing them ahead of time. Again, I have some ideas, and I might even base a character on a person that I know, but I don't do lists etc, as some books suggest. I tried a couple of times, and this was an instant blocker for me.

So just write, write, write. Get this first draft out. Then there will be a revision. And another revision. Then you might think it is done, and a year later, there will be another revision And then you will be done for real, and it will be just GREAT!!!! (for a bit, and then you will start worrying again )

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#5 of 5 Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 AM

start writing everyday, even if it's crap...slowly it'll come to you - your voice, your style - and you'll go back and edit the crap out of your novel. Writing is ONLY 1% of the deal. Editing is 99% of the work that goes into a novel.

Get the first draft written - know that it will SUCK majorly - and then go back and edit, edit, edit, edit, edit, edit....then let someone read it and then edit some more...

I liked these books the best to help me understand the path and see my way to the end...

This Year You Write Your Novel and On Writing

and I got there! I wrote my novel and will be done editing and ready for submission in March 2010 - my deadline... Have to give yourself deadlines...

You can do it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page