Poetry mamas - what are your favorite prompts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-12-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to get back into my creative space, but it's taking me an hour or more each time I sit down to write, and I just don't have that kind of time. I need some good prompt ideas.

I'll share some ones I like, just for kicks:

-Choose a line from a poem and write your own poem from that line.
-Choose and inanimate object and write an ode.
-Write an answer or response to another poem.

Those are the only ones I can remember for now. I also like to start writing a letter and see where that goes, or focus on a color or group of images and run with that. Sometimes sketching for a while works too, but mostly I'm still in my preg/PP-can't-think-about-anything-but-babies slump. Help!
#2 of 3 Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 PM

blogger has a three word Wednesday challenge that I sometimes write...but usually it sort of just comes.. a line, a phrase, a thought and I'll jot it down. I have lists of them and I'll sit and just let it come. I don't work hard at poetry and I don't worry about it too much...I just love to write it, it's my favourite writing. I also write almost 100% in rhyming forms, usually traditional like sonnets.
#3 of 3 Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

That's what I USED to be able to do, but now it's taking a lot more work because I've been out of practice for a while. Even though I do keep a sketch book with words or phrases that I want to work with, I still feel like I'm needing more prompting to get any sort of variety out of myself.

Ho hum. I think I just need to start writing and writing and expect that some of it is going to be crap for a while.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page