Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Mothers' Writing Group (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/)
-   -   Week 1. (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/202663-week-1-a.html)

Tanya Taylor 10-06-2004 12:04 PM

Welcome Writing Mother’s!

The first six weeks of our group will be entitled “Writing Into Motherhood”. This will be an overview but we will focus on six sub-topics each week. I will give you six timed writings at the beginning of each week and then I ask you to post at least one of them by the end of the week. This way we will be able to share our writing with each other. As we get comfortable writing and sharing consistently we can move more deeply into topics and even piece together a complete story or monologue.

I encourage you to write longhand especially in the beginning. It offers a depth and connection to your self that the computer doesn’t often support. Please look over the rules I have posted on the previous page. Let them begin to work on you. The number one rule is to keep your pen moving for the full five or fifteen writing assignments. That means no cross outs and especially no pausing to ‘think’. We are attempting to short circuit our inner critics and this simple rule, when applied is the most effective way that I have found to do that.

Motherhood is a distinct aspect of our lives that connects us to all other parts of ourselves. I encourage you to surrender into all aspects of yourself as you meet the empty page. Let it be a reflection of who you are. It can lead you into dreams, desires, memories and emotions. If you allow it to take you there fearlessly the rewards are great.

I send you my total support as we enter into this journey together.

Week One Writing Assignments

Write five minutes on each of the following topics:

1.I remember…….

2.Home……..

3.The day my baby……

Write fifteen minutes on each of the following topics:

1.The first time…….

2.The kitchen table……

3.Two o’clock in the morning….

Bonus topic/ Do twenty minutes on Roadtrip…… or Newborn…….

Relax. Breathe. Open. Be fearless. Explore. Please remember to post at least one of your writings. I will meet you at the end of the week. (Sunday)
Love, Tanya

laurag 10-06-2004 12:53 PM

I am so excited to get started on this writing assignment. It has been so long since I have taken the time for myself to sit down and be creative and introspective. I am not sure how I will find the time to write again between balancing work, children, home, etc. Can any other writing mamas offer advice on how you fit writing into your life?

bridgetl 10-06-2004 03:29 PM

gosh...this sounds like a fun thing to do, but I am lucky to get 15 minutes to myself, let alone more than 1.5 hours of time during the week to dedicate to this. I have a 21 month old, a Full Time career, a husband that unfortunately works late during the week (and leaves for work early) which leaves the parenting duties on me mon-fri, and I am 6 months pregnant. does anyone have any good suggestions/tips on how to work on a project like this?

SPOTTO 10-06-2004 03:40 PM

I am totally new to this site so I hope I'm doing this right. I joined because I saw the writing seminar on Mothering.com and was inspired. I love writing but haven't done any except for papers toward my Marketing degree (not as creative as I'd like to be). With a three month old, I've also been looking for a way to express myself.

These are great topics and I can't wait to get started! I haven't done stream of conciousness writing in years!

-Sarah Otto

Red 10-06-2004 09:11 PM

Ok, I'm ready and excited. THis is a great idea. Where do I join?

BostonMama17 10-06-2004 10:38 PM

I'm entering into this with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. The hardest part will be writing without fear--of judgement, of vulnerability, of failure (even now, I'm pausing to "think"). How will I turn it off? Thirty years of perfectionism is a lot to undo. But I've had 14 months to stew in half-baked ideas and unfinished sentences. So today I'm back in the game. Trying to figure out how to be good to my child and to myself. How to balance motherhood with other ambitions. How to make dinner with one hand so I can type with other. We'll see how it goes...

loftmama 10-06-2004 11:13 PM

let's go. this is exciting.

aishy 10-07-2004 12:56 AM

What a wonderful idea! I am in. I printed the first set of assignments and I will work on them as time permits.

Aisling

mama_om 10-07-2004 01:12 PM

Hi,
Just wondering... you mention rules on the "previous page" in your post. Sorry to be dense, but I am not sure where to find them.

Thanks!
Stacy

SPOTTO 10-07-2004 02:16 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think if you scroll down the page there is a little box that says what you can or cannot do as far as postings, i.e. not starting new threads but yes, you can reply to posts...

be11ydancer 10-07-2004 03:48 PM

This sounds exciting! I used to love to write before I had kids. I suppose I'll pick it up again.

rainbowmoon 10-07-2004 04:13 PM

Hi can I join too? sounds fun and I just discovered this forum/thread! I love to write and use it often as a tool for growth..

AnnR33 10-07-2004 09:19 PM

Great idea, but where's the "rules" mentioned?
Looking forward to my chai and pencil/journal when the kids go to bed!
Ann

loving-my-babies 10-07-2004 09:47 PM

can I join this writing group? I love writing and reading, two of my passions

can someone inform me how to go about this?

thanks

Ary99 10-07-2004 09:49 PM

Okay, I want to participate, but I'm not sure about the rules alluded to. Where can I find those?

Hilary

P.S. anyone is welcome to comment on my blog as well

2rubies 10-07-2004 10:05 PM

You'll have to forgive me - I have truly never done this before. I was just so excited about this writing group. I thought the rules might be the Writing Tips from Tanya Taylor under the original link. Thanks for your patience!

Kristin

Red 10-07-2004 10:17 PM

2rubies is right (and welcome, 2rubies).

If you go to the Mothering homepage, http://www.mothering.com you'll see a place to join the writers group. Once you click you'll see a list of writing tips that refer to rules once you're reading them. If I'm lucky this link will take you right to the tips and rules. http://www.mothering.com/interactive...ting-tips.html

And I think we joined when we posted here saying yippee. At least, that's all I've done. Oh and the first homework I've done in.......

shoot, I'm counting.............

Yep, 28 years. A lot more fun now! ( I'm sooooo old!)

dziejen 10-07-2004 10:56 PM

This sounds like fun! Count me in too!

loving-my-babies 10-07-2004 11:05 PM

I clicked on "join" and it brought me here, what do I have to do to join?

Curious 10-07-2004 11:08 PM

I looooove to write; those who have seen the length of some of my posts can probably tell.

I've been keeping a journal about Dd since she was born. Some times I write lots, other times, like this week, I keep little notes and hope for time to capture everything.

Just recently I bought a beautiful notebook for writing for me. I like longhand, but I'm so verbose, when I get really going on something, I end up on the computer. I'm So Glad my mother made me study touch typing one summer when I was young!!!

Ah, in search of time.

This weekend at IL's isn't looking so tedious anymore!!!

I loooove to write!

LaLa 10-07-2004 11:41 PM

I have a question about rights. I hope this doesn't sound too ... bad, but I like to write articles or poetry for publication and I am wondering if what is posted here is still the full ownership of the person who wrote it or if it somehow transfers ownership to the group and or MDC? That may sound silly, but I am thinking this would be good inspiration for me for future articles and I'd like to be free to take what I write for this to adapt into other works.

What are your thoughts on that?
Warmly~
LaLa

loving-my-babies 10-07-2004 11:43 PM

good question, Lala. It's funny, my dd's nickname is Lala. she decided we had to call her Lala about 18 months ago (she's 3 1/2) :LOL

indie 10-08-2004 12:28 AM

I'm going to give this a try. I don't know if I can get it all done since I'm joining at the end of the week but oh well.

Can we get the info. about this posted as a sticky in the forum? I think a lot of old timers came here from the forums and were totally confused.

chloesmom 10-08-2004 12:32 AM

I am in, though I am a little hesitant about it. lol. That's what happens when you are deathly shy.

Angierae 10-08-2004 12:33 AM

Wonderful idea. Count me in.

broodymama 10-08-2004 01:05 AM

I'm game!

zeldah 10-08-2004 01:16 AM

I'm in, I think. So where do we post, right here? or start a new thread? It's Friday and I haven't seen any posts yet, is anybody ready? Am I asking too many questions? :

Greensleeves 10-08-2004 01:18 AM

This is a great opportunity. I needed some motivation to get writing again.....thanks!

MountainMamaOf2 10-08-2004 02:48 AM

Time to jump in the Water!

For the last five minutes, since I read the invitation, I've been feeling my heart beating faster...and a sharper awareness-you know, excitement!!!

THANK YOU for opening your heart, sharing your journey and offering us to, courageously, do the same.

Autumnschild 10-08-2004 02:54 AM

I'd love to do this. If I don't have time, I'll make time! I think this will be really good for me.