Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Mothers' Writing Group (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/)
-   -   Sit on down and tell me a story (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/283607-sit-down-tell-me-story.html)

Jesse Michener 05-07-2005 01:13 AM

So here's our chit-chat thread. What will YOU do with it? (Mother's Writer's Group participants only, please!)

Simcha 05-07-2005 09:22 PM

Hi there. I got a bit overwhelmed with the assignments last week. However, after reading that beautiful birth story I had some time to myself as Amaya, my daughter (51/2 months) was already in bed. I re-wrote my birth story in a new light, a very healing process. I first wrote my story when Amaya was 6 days old...so it was nice to re-write it and find more meaning and more healing as well.
I have truly been enjoying reading people's stories and even the "laundry lists." I hope to hear back from you here. Writing about becoming a mother here has been very helpful for me. I think that it is so important to build community...especially during the postpartum period...even if it's on the internet.
Well...I'm going to write in another section of this group...so hope to hear from others of you soon.
ciao!
Simcha

zenfulmama 05-09-2005 01:57 PM

simcha, when i see your name, i always think "smoochies"...so here's some smoochies, simcha.

Maltagirl 05-17-2005 02:05 AM

I feel like I've been such a bum here because I started this project and am having a tough time following through. I have no excuse that everyone else doesn't have...work is busy, the kids need me, there's always something else I should be doing. :

I am genuinely interested in reading what you all have to say and hopefully contributing my own voice, as well...presumably before you've all gone home!

Simcha 05-19-2005 10:14 PM

Hi "Zenfullmama!" My name means celebration in Hebrew. It's cute that it makes you think of smoochies! You gave me a smile....thanks. :LOL

lavender 05-20-2005 02:25 AM

Ohhhhh! So that's what it means. I keep thinking it's a Japanese tea I had not yet heard of. Let's see...there's matcha, sencha, bancha, genmaicha, and....simcha? Sweet, earthy, and full of sunshine!

I really wish I had more time to spend here...but while I used to get up earlier to write, I keep sleeping in because I'm so exhausted. And taking trips out of town... Yeah, I know, excuses. Next couple of weeks I'll try to write from out-of-state!

Maltagirl 05-20-2005 03:48 PM

Simcha -- I knew that meant something good, I thought maybe it meant "joy" since I knew "Simchat Bat" means "joy of the daughter" and is the orthodox way of celebrating and welcoming a baby daughter in lieu of the briss (spelling?) for boys.

What a great screen name! I can never come up with anything creative for these.

Lavender, where are you traveling to? Can I come? :

--Diana

lavender 05-23-2005 12:38 AM

I'm in a small town in Nevada. South of town, actually, where the desert is lush green from the unusually generous spring rains and blooming wildflowers. Outside my window is a pine tree which houses a crow's nest, and last night on a walk I saw cottontails and jackrabbits running through the sage. The air smells all dry and desert-spicy.

At night it is quiet and there are a billion stars shining down on us.

So...come on down and join me! Mom just served up the G&Ts.

Simcha 05-23-2005 01:31 AM

Ooooh...desert wildflowers. It must be so beautiful! I love living on the coast near the redwoods, but there is something so wonderful about the desert. I've spent some time in Taos, NM and truly enjoy it there.
I'm glad you all like my name ...for the record, Ana's Mama, it is my given name. And yes, it is like the Simcha(t) that you hear of in various Jewish traditions.
Have any of you tried Kombucha? It is a wonderful drink made from fermented mushrooms (I know it sounds really strange...but it doesn't taste anything like mushrooms). Usually it is made with green or black tea and honey, and often mixed with fruit juice. Wow, describing it makes it sound quite funky. It has lots of healing properities and boosts energy. It makes me feel tingly, similar to when I have a glass of wine, and since I am not drinking wine as I am breastfeeding, it is nice to have something special (&nutritive) every once and a while. Just thought I'd pass on this new discovery.....

Maltagirl 05-23-2005 12:22 PM

My name is actually Diana. I joined MDC when I was only mamma to Anna, so Anna's mamma seemed like a good name to take. I'm thinking of changing it, though, because now I'm also Simon's mamma.

Lavender, I'm jealous. I still have almost 7 weeks before my vacation. We're going to take the kids to Sesame Place because we get in for free this year (we're on active duty and it's Anheuser-Busch's way of saying "thanks") and Anna will LOVE it. We're also going to a children's museum in Philadelphia. After that, it's a week at the New Jersey Shore. It's such a relief to not be flying anywhere. We fly for work sometimes and always have to fly to see family, so when we can go on a trip and not fly, it's a weight off our shoulders. I LOVE the beach. I want to live seaside or at least a shorter drive than I do now when we retire (which will be in our 40's). I hope you're enjoying your trip.

Simcha, what a lovely given name! No, I haven't tried kombucha tea. I was trying to eat macrobiotically for a few weeks but couldn't stand the sea vegetables (kombu, dulse, etc.) and the mushrooms, though I usually like mushrooms, were too strongly flavored for me. The teas smelled funny to me. What you're having sounds yummy in theory, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tolerate it. I like to think I'm an adventurous eater, but the reality is that I'm only adventurous within my own little box.

Gotta go shower before we all go to work. I love days that we bring the kids with us!