Everyday ritual - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello beautiful writing mamas,

My life is going so fast these days. I started a new gig. It is an intense, one-month experience that has me working outside the home for the month of July. I can keep my baby with me and my older two daughters are in a childcare situation I am very comfortable with.

Being away has given me some perspective on things. I feel as if I've been able to breathe a little and take a look at my life, my routines, and my parenting in a whole new light. I'm experiencing a bit of the "grass is greener" syndrome and find myself glorifying the rituals I am missing.

For example:

When I wake up, my youngest child is usually hits my chest with a tight fist. She has a milky smile and sleepy eyes and is ready to play. My two-year-old bangs on the door she shares with her sister and beckons me to open it. When I do, I see my oldest daughter, nearly five, laying in bed with her eyes closed, enjoying as much rest as she can before things get busy. The two-year-old smells slightly of nighttime pee but her sweet face and sleepy walk entice me to put her on my hip as we walk toward the kitchen.

I like two eggs, fried. Toast is good, but English muffins are better. Cold orange juice, the kind whose label reads, "Some Pulp" is my favorite but I'll take the canned stuff, too. The kids don't like eggs. The prefer pancakes or cold cereal.

Sometimes I make coffee, sometimes not. The truth is I hate grinding the beans and my husband keeps buying whole bean coffee. I've decided this is more about his forgetfulness rather than him trying to make my life difficult. Maybe I'll remember to remind him next time he shops. Probably not.

When I am old, I will remember frying eggs and flipping pancakes. I'll remember how my coffee smelled after I grinding those damn beans. I'll drink a glass of orange juice and smile, remembering these sleepy, full mornings of my children's childhood.

Focus on your rituals. What will you remember about this time in your life? Narrow it to a brief, short space of time rather than trying to write about the whole day. How we live our life is how we spend our days. How do you live your life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM

Floating over on her tummy,
She swims in the clawfoot tub.
Bubbles long since gone,water cool,
Toys floating around her naked body.

"Privacy please" as she takes care of business,
then brushing those tiny teeth.
I hold her hair as she rinses her mouth,
clothes litter the bathroom floor.

We jump into bed, ready to read,
She sits between my crossed legs.
Wanting me to read another chapter,
'Night water' resting on her table.

"Sides and tummies" she cries playfully,
I lay on my back, lifting my shirt.
She nuzzles against me like a kitten,
Right hand kneading my soft belly.

Which CD?, i ask her to decide,
She picks the music she will sleep to.
I tuck her in, up to her neck,
'Bedtime bear' held tightly in her arms.

GOOD NIGHT.

Whatever will be, already is...

#3 of 7 Old 07-08-2005, 07:01 PM

Lullaby- Snuggle up, Nuzzle up

Sun slips west
Time to rest
Snuggle up
Nuzzle up
Against my breast

Drink your fill
As you will
It's bedtime
The stars shine
As the evening stills

Warm baby hand
Brushes breast and
Says Goodnight
For moonlight
Covers up the land

Breathing slows
Eyes now closed
Snuggle up
Nuzzle up
Love only grows.
#4 of 7 Old 07-10-2005, 11:24 AM

Floating over on her tummy,
she smims in the clawfoot tub.
Bubbles long since gone, water cool.
Toys float around her naked body.

Clothes litter the bathroom floor,
"privacy please" as she takes care of business,
Then brushing those tiny teeth.
I hold her hair as she rinses her mouth.

'Night water' reasting on her table,
we jump into bed, ready to read.
She sits between my crossed legs,
wanting me to read another chapter.

'sides and tummies' she cries playfully,
I lay on my back, lifting my shirt.
She nuzzles against me like a kitten,
right hand kneading my soft belly.

'Bedtime Bear' held tightly in her arms.
Which CD , i ask her to decide,
she picks the music she will sleep to.
I tuck her in up to her neck.

GOOD NIGHT.

Thanks for the feedback Quaz, i think this works much better

#5 of 7 Old 07-11-2005, 02:14 AM

Ok, I had to post one more, since this is the one I was planning on writing. The first thought that jumped to me with this topic was below... but the poem ended up happening first.

Jelly doughnuts.

Twenty minutes.

The warmth of the oven pre-heating broke the early morning chill of the kitchen. Lined up on the old and slightly rusted cookie sheet were six frozen raspberry jelly-filled doughnuts just waiting to be cooked. The sugar sprinkles on the doughnuts seemed to shine on this morning. The oven light blinked off to signal the oven was ready and the eldest girl popped the doughnuts into the oven.

The sisters raced to the living room, where the Christmas tree glowed in a myriad of colors in the darkness before the morning. It was not five am yet, and there was still an hour and a half before they could wake their parents. The wind howling outside the dark window, grabbed handfuls of snow and tossed it into the air to swirl at its wish. Neither the cold outside nor chill inside was noticed, in the excitement of Christmas morning.

Fifteen minutes.

Huge stacks of presents were in piles around the fake green fir tree, awaiting the yearly ritual of sniffing, shaking and squeezing. As the girls started, the flocked children ornaments dangled overhead on thin golden strings, twisting and twirling. Snowmen, Santa Claus’s, various animals all participated in the mid-air dance. Below, the girls tried to decipher what was what. After one particularly good whiff, the youngest girl proclaimed one of her presents a wallet.

Ten minutes.

The girls took down their overflowing stockings. These they were allowed to open. The crinkle and crackle of ripping paper was fast and furious. Crackers, cookies, fruits, juices, hair ties, flavored lip gloss, a mix match assortments of goodies, were part of the bounty. The 12-year old girl, clad in fuzzy purple pajamas, chose cheese crackers, the 7-year old girl, clad in blue-footed Winnie-the-Pooh PJs, went for a candy bar. They both opened bottles of apple juice and took a few gulps.

Five minutes.

They stood before the opened closet and stared at the choice of games. Reaching up on her tip-toes, the eldest pulled down a golden ripped cardboard box- Dungeon Dice. They brought it back to the living room and set it up. Roll six dice, earn two cards and get further through the dungeon tunnel. Next Turn. Roll six dice…

Beep, Beep.

Four feet patter and pound as the two girls race to the kitchen. Grabbing a worn red cloth kitchen glove, the older girl takes the doughnuts from the oven. The jelly bubbles and oozes from the doughtnuts, sending a molten stream of raspberry over its sugary edge. The small yellow kitchen is filled with the aroma of fresh baking. Each girl grabs a doughnut, ignoring that it slightly burns their fingers, grabs a napkin to put it on, and then heads back to the living room. Beneath the twinkling Christmas lights they continue their game, eating their once a year Christmas morning doughnuts, while waiting to wake their parents.
#6 of 7 Old 07-12-2005, 04:57 PM

Wednesday nights
They're fed and ready for bed.
Impending drive,
It circles around in my head.

No 'bedtime bear',
It travels inside her soft arms.
To daddys lap,
Proctecting, he keeps them from harm.

Two empty beds,
i pace and remember the noise.
They're in their other home,
They're gone, i still trip over toys.

#7 of 7 Old 09-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Thank you, Quaz...I love your poem so much. I love the rhyme. Hard to do non-cheesy rhyme.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page