Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Mothers' Writing Group (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/)
-   -   The Fine Print (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/341552-fine-print.html)

Jesse Michener 09-12-2005 06:06 PM

When and how do you find time to write?
What's your schedule, your rhythm, your bag-of-topics-tricks look like?
Describe your writing space, if you have one. Describe your dream space, if you have one.

It's time for show and tell. Who's first?

~Jesse

BelovedK 09-12-2005 07:25 PM

Oh, I'll go first.
Just this morning I woke up an hour earlier than I had to. Crazy??, well maybe, but iI just had to find time to write. I spread out my notebook and favorite pens before me on the finger smeared glass table, got a cup of coffee with milk and just wrote.
This morning I wasn't particularly inspired, so I just journaled, letting one subject morph into the other with no rereads.

Usually, I settle down on the back couch of my local coffeehouse where they know my special blend so well that it's out on the counter even before I'm in the door. Listening to snippets of conversation,watching the people and artwork to inspire myself.
I have to have my huge bag with me that contains pens, works in progress along with other things that make it very heavy on my shoulder. There are at least four books that i never read, living in that bag.

The mornings that my DC are with their dad I can do 'coffeehouse' writing. Other times I just brew my own, but find it much more inspiring to be around other people (other than my own DC)

quaz 09-12-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Michener
When and how do you find time to write?
What's your schedule, your rhythm, your bag-of-topics-tricks look like?
Describe your writing space, if you have one. Describe your dream space, if you have one.

It's time for show and tell. Who's first?

~Jesse

I don't find time to write except in the evening, or on those once in a blue moon days my kids actually nap... like today... sad, they are 3 and 1 1/2 and they just don't nap well.

I have no schedule, my rhythm?? I grab pen and paper, sit on the couch and bed, and write. Sometimes a line will jump in my head and I write. I want to write something longer, but I only have 1/2 ideas that swirl in my head these days... probably from lack of sleep. No bag of topic tricks... whatever jumps in my head is what I write.

BelovedK 09-12-2005 10:30 PM

It'll get easier Quaz, once your DC get older. Not to wish away the years, but it sure is nice to have a couple of sleeping in babies, and time that you can count on. (does that make sense?___I'mtired)

violafemme 09-13-2005 12:22 AM

Mostly I write after everyone else has gone to bed if I have any energy left.

I try to keep small pads lying around near where I nurse or sit just in case an idea pops in my head so I can scribble it down and come back to it later. Too often when Ihave the time I'm just to tired to come up with something but if I have a snippet from earlier in the day it can be just enough to get me going.

Somethines I leave dd with dh for an hour or so and go to the library.

I use to get up early in hte morning, have two cups of tea and use one of my "craft of poetry" type books to write..........just exercises in form to get the juices flowing. It was wonderful. But until we are well and truly done with night nursing, I'm not giving up one minute of sleep for anything!

De-lovely 09-13-2005 12:35 AM

Where IS the time to write? I used it all up maybe when I was younger and every breath and thought I took wound up on paper? I am hoping to find more time to write but now its mainly at night when I can relax and reflect.....I am moving to a new house in quite a diverse neighborhood where I have a "breakfast nook" which I was thinking of placing a table and chairs and all the visual inspiration I can find! Now my space is "their" space-wherever space.I start just free writing and seemingly it always takes a very rhythmatic pace and jumps when my mind says jump.....I think I am the only one who truly enjoys what I write-I am content with that.

quaz 09-13-2005 02:24 AM

"I think I am the only one who truly enjoys what I write-I am content with that."

Oh, I so agree with that....I think more than anything I write for myself, and b/c of that I enjoy what I write the most and with that I'm content. I actually think that is one of the best reasons to write. For me sometimes it's just a creative realease that is needed.

And yah BelovedK that makes sense... With my 19m old that doesn't sleep through the night yet, I don't want to wish away the time, but with days like today, oh man... would be nice for them to chill out a little. :LOL

lavender 09-13-2005 10:48 AM

I get up early, well before the kids. I've been out of routine for a while, sleeping in and taking some time off in the summer, so now when I get up early I have that queasy feeling kind of like jet lag and need to finish waking up before I can write legibly. I write in a notebook and transfer it to computer if I want to share it.

For sleeping, our family shares the big bedroom upstairs, which frees up the downstairs rooms. One is a guest bedroom, and one is what we call the "craft room" where the kids and I have our tables and desks for schooling and creating. Somehow, I have let all my "to do" stuff in there, bills and lists, and I have to try to keep them somewhat contained or they can really drain the inspiration and sidetrack me. I have a big table in there where I paint, and that is also where I write.

For a while, I kept a tin of cookies in the closet in there, to reward myself for just getting in there and sitting down to write. I ought to do that again!

I also keep an "idea notebook" for jotting down bits and pieces of things that have caught my interest during the day so when I do sit down I have something to write about immediately.

My dream space would look similar. Only it would end up such a mess, and I'd have more hours on the clock. I know what you mean about "their" space, eemamahob. I've had to really work to carve out mine. Over time, it's grown.

And yes, it does get easier as the kids get older! Much, much easier.