Random conversation about writing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 02-21-2006, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought that things were getting more active around here...Is there anything that you all need from me??

Whatever will be, already is...

#32 of 40 Old 02-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I get online at work, so my "free" time is limited.

I don't do prompts - I'm a true rebel and if you tell me to write about something, my first thought is "I don't wanna!" (Don't ask how I managed to get a BA with that attitude!)

I write in phases. I'll go for months with nothing, then write every day. Yeah, I know. I'd rather work more consistantly, but I do have a list of reasons/excuses, which include 'my computer is broken' and 'I want to do a rewrite, but I hate rewrites by hand'.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#33 of 40 Old 02-21-2006, 05:28 PM

Hi thought I'd just jump in here if you don't mind.

I generally don't use prompts to write. I already have more ideas than I have time for. I get lots of ideas from dreams but just about anything can start a project. My problem is finishing. I tend to bounce around a lot. I did Nano as an exersize in finishing something that I started. Now I'm editing out all the umm bad stuff that I wrote. I hate editing.
#34 of 40 Old 02-21-2006, 05:55 PM

I have been lurking on and off for a while, and here I am finally posting

I am a first-time mama to 10 week old ds, and am trying to sell a memoir that I've been working on for almost 5 years now. I have an agent and we seem to get close to selling it, but then editors find some objection so it doesn't get picked up. I'm trying to stay optimistic and thick-skinned, as you must in the world of publishing.

I've not been doing much work on the memoir lately, but I have been trying to keep my writing muscle flexed by writing in my blog (linked to my name in my sig below), mainly essays and short musings about motherhood from a Buddhist perspective. I promised myself I'd write a little every day, but I am falling short of that goal. I'd like to be more disciplined. I know from all the writing books I've read that the way to do it is to do it!

I also enjoy writing poetry. I wrote my first poem since Sami was born, and will post it in the WIP...

Looking forward to getting more active in this forum. I've really enjoyed the writing I've read here!
#35 of 40 Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are *great*

I've gotta love a rebel...post your works in the WIP thread if you want or I'll create a new thread for the 'rebels'.

Don't stop writing and posting, I really enjoy reading...

#36 of 40 Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking for advice/support in doing this. Anybody got good news for me?
BTW: yes, it's difficult; yes, it will require hard work and discipline; yes, it takes time.

I don't want to put my 6 week old in day care for 40 + hours/week so that I can go back to work. I want to stay home and love him and squeeze him and clean up his messes...

So, being the logical person that I am, I brainstormed how to do that. At which point I tripped over the knee-high pile of writing magazines next to the couch (the partially-read ones). Hmm, is the universe telling me something?

So, my plan is to start a freelancing career, without a working computer at home (I use my work comp) and commuting an hour each way, until May, when I move. By then, I'll have my own computer and more time to finish getting this underway.

Okay, I've been wanting to get into freelancing for years. The problem... my self-doubt sabotages all attempts to begin.

So, how crazy am I?

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#37 of 40 Old 03-06-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wolfcat, I think its great that you're going to pursue a freelance career. Whenever a self doubting thought comes up, just say 'cancel' or 'delete' to yourself in your mind (or out loud if you prefer ) and move on to the next thought. It's a technique that has saved me through my divorce and my X getting a new GF. I think it sounds like the perfect time to move forward. Listen to those inner prompts and your intuition and you can't go wrong.

What is the worst thing that could happen? sometimes if you imagine the worst case scenario, then the fear dissapears. I fully offer my support

#38 of 40 Old 03-06-2006, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahida
I have been lurking on and off for a while, and here I am finally posting

I am a first-time mama to 10 week old ds, and am trying to sell a memoir that I've been working on for almost 5 years now. I have an agent and we seem to get close to selling it, but then editors find some objection so it doesn't get picked up. I'm trying to stay optimistic and thick-skinned, as you must in the world of publishing.

I've not been doing much work on the memoir lately, but I have been trying to keep my writing muscle flexed by writing in my blog (linked to my name in my sig below), mainly essays and short musings about motherhood from a Buddhist perspective. I promised myself I'd write a little every day, but I am falling short of that goal. I'd like to be more disciplined. I know from all the writing books I've read that the way to do it is to do it!

I also enjoy writing poetry. I wrote my first poem since Sami was born, and will post it in the WIP...

Looking forward to getting more active in this forum. I've really enjoyed the writing I've read here!

Leah, We must've posted at the same time bc your post escaped me...Welcome to the writers forum, please share with us. There is a monthly works in progress thread, it is a sticky...browse around and either answer a prompt or post on the 'rebels' thread. There is also a poetry about mothering thread, I'll pull it up for you. Welcome

#39 of 40 Old 03-08-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone else find it boring in here? Could you let me know what you *do* like and what you *don't* like about this forum, I'd like to make it a fun place to visit.Please all of you lurkers come out and share

#40 of 40 Old 03-08-2006, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that you can feel free to PM me if you don't want to do it publically.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page