Random conversation about writing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 01-16-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is a great way to get to know one another as writers and friends. Feel free to offer feedback (following the guidelines) and just chat away

Whatever will be, already is...

#2 of 40 Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 PM
Red

Hey Kelly, know what I miss? The writing assignments we used to get.

Way back when this forum first started Tanya would post a list of 5 to 10 topics for the willling to pick from. You just had to write on a certain topic for ...I think 10 minutes.

It was a reason to check in every few days, to see what had been written to post, to pick up an assignment. And it was fun!

The topics were like the ones you have here anyway, just more of them. Most were "Mothering' related, which I didn't like. Just prompts would be cool.

They were a good exercise if you were lookig to get started for a session of serious writing and great for just doing a quick piece.

Could we?
#3 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Red, definately...i like to post prompts, i just haven't been getting the response I've been hoping for. I like the idea of posting several differnt prompts and having you choose which ones to respond to.

I want to post things that could be mothering related as well as off the wall things.

I'll get on this tommorow, thanks for the suggestion, I'd like to enliven this forum

#4 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Red

Woo-hoo! I'd like to see a livelier spot happenin' here too!

I like the idea of prompts that could go either way. My kids are older, so I felt like everyone else was writing their 'way into motherhood', (the name the group had then) and I was writing my way out!

I'll start trying to stir up some writers. They're out therre, it just got so quiet in here for awhile.

AND, when you all start to drift in........how about your fav writing books? I love Pen on Fire by............and Writing the Natural way by Rico
#5 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 02:01 AM

Hey there, I'm new here, but interested in finding out more about this site. What exactly do you do as a writing group?

Thanks,
Carla
writingmom23
Mom to dd (15), ds(14), and bbg triplets (3.5)
#6 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 09:07 AM

I too would love to know more, more about the forum and more about the writers.
I am here lurking. My life makes sense when I write but I seem to let my life take over and its the last thing I find the time for.
Hoping to get more involved.
Thanks.
#7 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

I post prompts to get you started...I will be posting more in the upcoming days with options for you to choose one.

Read the sticky on feedback, there is alot of good info there.

Every month there is a Works in Process sticky so you can post anything (W.I.P.)

Please don't lurk, get involved, if you don't want feedback just say so, or say nothing...usually there are plenty of people to give feedback.

I can't wait to hear your voices...let's get this site up and active

#8 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Red

I love the new prompts! (for the newbies, check under 'The Senses' or 'Up For a Challenge') I'll be thinkin' hard about what I want to write about, and picking one this afternoon.

Hey, you lurkers! Get involved! You can ask for 'positive feedback only' and be sure to get comments telling you what everyone likes. Good confidence boost!

It's gotten wayyyy too quiet around here lately, good time to join in.

And I'm going over to TAO and kick some butts back here!
#9 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I love the new prompts! (for the newbies, check under 'The Senses' or 'Up For a Challenge') I'll be thinkin' hard about what I want to write about, and picking one this afternoon.

Hey, you lurkers! Get involved! You can ask for 'positive feedback only' and be sure to get comments telling you what everyone likes. Good confidence boost!

It's gotten wayyyy too quiet around here lately, good time to join in.

And I'm going over to TAO and kick some butts back here!

ITA

#10 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 10:24 PM

hi, i'm kate.

i'm supposed to be working on a children's book. i'm usually not. i get stuck. i'm not looking for help on that just yet, but i need to get back into the habit of writing.

it's ok to write just prose in responce to the prompts, right? i don't write poetry.

kate
#11 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Red

Hi Kate.

Just write however you usually write. THe point is to get better at what you do.

At least, it is for me!
#12 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Woo-hoo! I'd like to see a livelier spot happenin' here too!

I like the idea of prompts that could go either way. My kids are older, so I felt like everyone else was writing their 'way into motherhood', (the name the group had then) and I was writing my way out!

I'll start trying to stir up some writers. They're out therre, it just got so quiet in here for awhile.

AND, when you all start to drift in........how about your fav writing books? I love Pen on Fire by............and Writing the Natural way by Rico
I have to agree..I expected a bit more and come here so much I am tempted to rewrite stuff out of boredom! LOL.

Seriously though it has gotten my juices flowing again............so bring on the work!
#13 of 40 Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Banned

I forgot to add...I don't have afave book ON writing itself (as of the past few years anyways that I can recall now) but my fave literature the past couple years book wise has been Dropped Threads 1 and 2 by Carol Sheilds and Marjorie Anderson. It's thematic stance is simple stories about the things in life we women are not told...the "dropped threads from the quilt of life" so to speak...amazing simple yet provactive writing by so many gifted writers it blew me away. It also has me re reading for ideas and thought process.
#14 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Hi Kate.

Just write however you usually write. THe point is to get better at what you do.

At least, it is for me!
thanks, maybe i'll try to write tomorrow.

kate
#15 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katebleu
thanks, maybe i'll try to write tomorrow.

kate

I think the key is commitment, and just doing it (same thing) Make appointments with yourself for your writing even if it is just ten minutes, practice write, don't worry who is going to see it. give yourself the permission to write the worst sh%& and silence the nagging critic.

I know you've probably heard this before, but i think it bears mentioning again.

I'd love for you to share your childrens book sometime, even if it is for no feedback. I've always wanted to write for young adults (teens)

#16 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK
I think the key is commitment, and just doing it (same thing) Make appointments with yourself for your writing even if it is just ten minutes, practice write, don't worry who is going to see it. give yourself the permission to write the worst sh%& and silence the nagging critic.

I know you've probably heard this before, but i think it bears mentioning again.

I'd love for you to share your childrens book sometime, even if it is for no feedback. I've always wanted to write for young adults (teens)

i'm just having a hard time committing to writing the worst sh%&.

i actually decided to write a chicldren/young adult's book because i hated that i was ending up writing very cliched chic lit. i thought i needed to do something to hake things up.

i'll work on posing the question i have about the peice i'm working on. (it has to do with commintment, btw.)

thanks, kate
#17 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Eh, I always hated the "write on this topic" stuff :yawning: . I'm more of a "write x pages in y genre" .

My fav book on writing is Stephen King On Writing. It is SOOO funny. And it really brings home how hard it is to break in and get going, even for such a popular and prolific writer. (BTW, he isn't one of my fav author, but I still have to admire him for his accomplishments.)

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#18 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat
Eh, I always hated the "write on this topic" stuff :yawning: . I'm more of a "write x pages in y genre" .
aren't they really the same thing? one just has a number of pages needed attached to it?

though i always liked, exercises that also included directions on tense and first or third person. (purely informational, btw. not a request.)

kate
#19 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katebleu
aren't they really the same thing? one just has a number of pages needed attached to it?
kate
In my college classes, I had things like "write about a family vacation" or things that are really specific. I didn't like that too much. I prefer "write non-fiction, 20 pages".

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#20 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
In my college classes, I had things like "write about a family vacation" or things that are really specific. I didn't like that too much. I prefer "write non-fiction, 20 pages".
hope you didn't think i was being flip. i wasn't meaning to be. i just couldn't see the difference.

i need something more specific and shorter. otherwise i end up stumped and obsessed with quantity not quality.

kate
#21 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Not at all. I certainly understand how different writers prefer (or require) different types of stimulation or motivation. My own writing style is very different from those that how-to writing books address.

#22 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My fav book on writing is Stephen King On Writing. It is SOOO funny. And it really brings home how hard it is to break in and get going, even for such a popular and prolific writer. (BTW, he isn't one of my fav author, but I still have to admire him for his accomplishments.)

OK, so check out the new thread, though you are welcomed to post in the WIP thread.

#23 of 40 Old 02-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Red

Kelly, you are sooo responsive. Ask and ye shall receive!
#24 of 40 Old 02-03-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

#25 of 40 Old 02-08-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just curious, how do most of you work? Do you do writing practice every day? Do you use books with prompts...I just got a new, good one called'The Writers Book of Matches' It has so many kinds of prompts...I haven't tried any of them yet, maybe I'll post some of them here. Do you all like things like that?

I use prompts assigned to me by my womans writing group...I think it is excellent practice (for me)

#26 of 40 Old 02-08-2006, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Where is everybody??

#27 of 40 Old 02-08-2006, 10:49 AM

good morning, so let's see, i like writing prompts. that being said, i have found that i get the most organic (subconcious delicious release) flow from prompts that i have an emotional response from.

i used my2girlsmama's poem about nursing her daughter as a prompt two nights ago, and the wellsprings were released. i had been needing to grieve, and that aided by my lovely menstrual hormones gave me a 2 hour writing/crying session that let me document memories, and love, and the beginnings of a beautiful new poem that i hope to post sometime today...yeah! so, yes i like prompts, ones that give me an emotional response...
#28 of 40 Old 02-08-2006, 12:00 PM

i have actually started keeping a blog. it's about mommyhood which isn't something i focus on writing about, but it's really helping with the writing a bit every or almost everyday thing. writing about parenting in the city gives me a jumping off points but from there i can write about anything so it's also a good medium ground between prompts and free writing.

i have also been carrying the story i'm sort of working on around with me. just in case. of course yesterday when dd fell asleep on our walk and i got to sit alone in a coffee shop for an hour, i had left it at home. i'll put it back int he diaper bag today and she'll not give me any good wrok time.

kate
#29 of 40 Old 02-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Red

I've been soooo busy!

I try to write every day. I want to rework my novel and have it ready to send out, so I usually work on that.

I do like using prompts. It gets things flowing. Short things work best for me.

zenfulmama! I hope you had a nice calming cup of tea and a rest after that~
#30 of 40 Old 02-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfulmama
good morning, so let's see, i like writing prompts. that being said, i have found that i get the most organic (subconcious delicious release) flow from prompts that i have an emotional response from.

i used my2girlsmama's poem about nursing her daughter as a prompt two nights ago, and the wellsprings were released. i had been needing to grieve, and that aided by my lovely menstrual hormones gave me a 2 hour writing/crying session that let me document memories, and love, and the beginnings of a beautiful new poem that i hope to post sometime today...yeah! so, yes i like prompts, ones that give me an emotional response...
Awww..that is so sweet. I am really bad for making time to write (ask Red who literally chased my arse over to this forum bless her soul!)...but I am pretty all over the place. When I have something to write, it's harder...but if I just think of something or have a slight promt, it flows....I can easily just write off the cuff, that is mostly who I am as a writer...I used to do poetry for people who needed poems etc years ago...........I am still asked to write letters and such for family who need things like that.

I do wish I had more time, so I could properly document my parenting ways..my goal is to write a book someday on it all....my interpretation of motherhood. I have no idea where to begin....I had a couple of blogs but wasn't happy with them so........I don't know? I keep most of my mama-writing on my BF web site in the My Articles section....I should do more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page