Do you have one?

Are you still searching for one?

Are you eclectic?

Whatever will be, already is...

#2 of 16 Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what you would call my 'genre' but what I do, or rather what I want to be doing is writing funny, 'slice-of-life' type pieces. I like to write about life here in Japan, raising my kids, putting a comic spin on the stuff one deals with here being in a foreign culture. I had a couple of pieces published years ago and then my child production exceeded my writing production and I let it all slide.
I also write poems, they are pretty crap, I know nothing about style or form etc, but I enjoy it. They are almost always about my kids or my DH and just something I like to put in their memory books for the future.

Apologies if this is too OT but these past few days checking in here a lot has really started to stir the juices again. Thank you.
#3 of 16 Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

That for me, is the million dollar question.

I find my instinct now, is wanting to write about life, mothering, but in new ways...not in the standard "oh cute" ways but deeper, emotional, provactive, honest ways.......then I see so many of parenting-type genres out there and I get blah....not sure why?

I used to write real life articles and poetry for years and years.........then once I became a mom they weren't enough. I want to write about my children and how they changed me, my soul, my life...I want to write about my faith, my spiritual search for soul and passion and thought provoking ideas on why I am here , what I am doing, how I am shaping this world through my children's world.

Sigh. I am so all over the place.
#4 of 16 Old 02-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Red

Well, at least i'm not the only one confused!

I don't know. I mean, I wrote a (as yet unpublished) novel and I'd like to write more, but it's NOT a romance, or a mystery or a historical...or any of the other ones. It's a story, about a woman facing unintentional motherhood.

So, tell me please, it that 'women's fiction'? Or just fiction? Trying to figure out which publishing houses and agents to send it to is tough if I don't even know the genre.
#5 of 16 Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Well, at least i'm not the only one confused!
No, not the only one...I've been trying to define myself for years, still can't. Some of my things border on the erotic, some the macabre (bua hah) Most of my short stories have some sort of twist to them and it usually involves a twisted person or two.

I (of course) also like to write about mothering topics, usually in the form of poetry...I'd have to say that my natural form tends to be dark.

#6 of 16 Old 02-05-2006, 12:31 AM

I just write about life. I'll read books and write down whateever I like weather it's a quote or a paragrah of a chapter in a book.
#7 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlsmama
That for me, is the million dollar question.

I find my instinct now, is wanting to write about life, mothering, but in new ways...not in the standard "oh cute" ways but deeper, emotional, provactive, honest ways.......then I see so many of parenting-type genres out there and I get blah....not sure why?

I used to write real life articles and poetry for years and years.........then once I became a mom they weren't enough. I want to write about my children and how they changed me, my soul, my life...I want to write about my faith, my spiritual search for soul and passion and thought provoking ideas on why I am here , what I am doing, how I am shaping this world through my children's world.

Sigh. I am so all over the place.
have you read Anne Lammott's Operating Instructions or Travelling Mercies? I think she does the real life, deep soul faith stuff amazingly, inspiringly well...as for me my genre is whatever i can write for 10 minutes until i get interupted by the loves of my life, and ironically my source of inspiration, is also my source of interuption
#8 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My genre is based on my format

Novels: sci-fi
Novellas: romance (historical and fantasy)
Short stories: horror and fiction
Plays: satire
Poems: slam, mostly

I've got too much Gemini in me... Jack-of-all-trades and such.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#9 of 16 Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfulmama
ironically my source of inspiration, is also my source of interuption
Tis true in my life as well.
#10 of 16 Old 02-13-2006, 11:34 AM

I read mostly science fiction. Lately I've been trying to brush the dust of my writing skills to see if I can put together a living from it by the time ds goes to school. Since I've been putting words on paper again I've noticed that babies show up in everything I do. LOL. Like PP, I'm still trying to find my niche as a writer.

treehugger.gif
#11 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 01:42 PM

I'm so glad to see this forum. I have written and re-written a novella for a few years now. I'm trying to get it so it doesn't embarass me to have other people read it. I believe in the stroy, but I also believe I may have to keep re-writing it until I really hone my idea.

But I would love to get another story down which would be in the Fantasy catergory. It's a story I've been stirring in since I was a child, but I', totally intiminated as to how to actually write it. Of course I'm inspired by Tolkien, like 90% of other fantasy writers, and I'm currently trying to read more Fantasy authors to broaden my sense of the genre.

This all while trying to raise 2 kids and carrying another one due this summer!
#12 of 16 Old 02-23-2006, 04:02 PM

I write just about everything but mostly short stories and poetry because I don't get much time to write.
#13 of 16 Old 03-14-2006, 12:54 AM

Fantasy, mostly. I'd do SF but am intimidated by the modern need for technological authenticity.

I do poetry, mostly urban -- not urban as a style, but subject matter. (Even though I can't take living here in the city any longer, my heart will keep in touch.)

"Working" on a fantasy novel (same one for years). Also "working" on a childrens picture book; I have had just a few more pages to do illustrate since... hmm... how old is dd1 now?

I also try to write for FRPGS. But I'm not a geek. Not.
#14 of 16 Old 03-14-2006, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

What is FRPGS?

I do alot of fantasy as well...Right now, I'm working on a vampire ridden novel. I'm still working out the plot.

#15 of 16 Old 03-14-2006, 03:40 PM

FRPGs (capital S was typo): Fantasy Roleplaying Games. Y'know. Dungeons and Dragons type.

But I'm not a geek. Not.

(Hmm.. Is there a Geek smuiley, or do I neet to make one?)
#16 of 16 Old 03-14-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBoy

But I'm not a geek. Not.
OK OK I believe you (not)

JK

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page