Anyone out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lets get this forum going strong...If you are hesitating to post, do it anyway. There is nothing to lose. Blessings, Kelly

Whatever will be, already is...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

I'm here...just nothing to warrant any posting really.......sorry. Kinda boring in here........: .....I am awaiting some neat topics or ideas to write about............maybe I'm just too new and not getting it? Kinda boring
#3 of 29 Old 03-08-2006, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

I keep posting prompts, then get the feedback that they are not wanted so I put up a 'rebels' thread. I'd love to hear what you'd like from me as a moderator. I don't want it to be boring in here (for some reason i can't get the extra smilies, otherwise it would be <bag>)

I'd love honest feedback, please give me your ideas. I'll put up some more prompts tommorow for those of you that love them.

#4 of 29 Old 03-09-2006, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

I'd love any feedback...you won't hurt my feelings. Do you not like the kind of prompts I'm putting up?...what is it that would keep it going in here?

#5 of 29 Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 AM

I am here. lurking mostly. currently I'm working on a novel and a short story series. The former is going okay except it's based on a 'what if' question posed by Viper about what our lives would have been like if our second m/c would have been born. The latter is pretty much stagnant because I start the stories from people watching observations and I haven't had a whole lot {read:any} people watching time lately..
#6 of 29 Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

It is hard to find the time isn't it? I spend way too much time here on MDC, but wouldn't trade it for anything (It's my virtual community) Between my studies (TCM focusing on herbal medicine) and my work , not to mention spending quality time w/ my DC, I find it hard to work on the novel I'm writing.

#7 of 29 Old 03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

I'm sorry ..never meant to make it sound like I don't lik eit here or your moderation.

I am busy too and everyone here is sick....so I am all over the place. I am not sure what I want...if people don't like prompts then what the heck do they want here? We can't post our own stuff off the cuff in new threads so what do they want? I am confused...I thought the prompts get us going...........

Sigh.
#8 of 29 Old 03-09-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

No offense taken, I just want to make it more interesting in here...We're talking about opening up the forum to allow others to post new threads (that would be nice) It remains to be seen...

I hope your family feels better soon

#9 of 29 Old 03-11-2006, 11:48 PM

Greetings, all!

I'm fairly new to Mothering except as a semi-lurker, so I probably don't know anyone here yet. The other day I decided to get more involved with the discussions, I emailed my wife to tell her about it, and found in my mailbox an acceptance of an article I'd sent out like 9 months ago(!) and pretty much given up on. I'll take that confluence of events as a sign that I should introduce myself to this forum.

So. Hi!

I'm a SAHD (we're allowed here, right? . I write mostly fantasy fiction, FRPG material and occasional urban poetry. All remaining interesting facts about me are in the sig.
#10 of 29 Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Sean, That's great about your article getting accepted...You're welcome here heartily...so...glad to have you.

#11 of 29 Old 03-12-2006, 04:21 AM

Yay!

Thanks, Kelly! I'll try to be fun.
#12 of 29 Old 03-13-2006, 03:48 PM

OK, so I am finally posting. I have lurked here on and off for a few months. Honestly, not so sure how things work around here. DD is seven months old and I sleep when she sleeps, and now I know I should sometimes write while she sleeps. My goal is to write regularly and submit for publication soon, but I am such a big chicken . I do some poetry. My narrative essays are much better. I just wanted to say hi. I know how hard it can be to get and keep a writing group going IRL. I guess the same is true in cyber-land. I'm not sure how to end so I just...will.

cheers,
naismama
#13 of 29 Old 03-13-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Naismama...Yay! Welcome

#14 of 29 Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 PM

naismama!

Thanks for saving me from being the FNG!
#15 of 29 Old 03-13-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naismama
OK, so I am finally posting. I have lurked here on and off for a few months. Honestly, not so sure how things work around here. DD is seven months old and I sleep when she sleeps, and now I know I should sometimes write while she sleeps. My goal is to write regularly and submit for publication soon, but I am such a big chicken . I do some poetry. My narrative essays are much better. I just wanted to say hi. I know how hard it can be to get and keep a writing group going IRL. I guess the same is true in cyber-land. I'm not sure how to end so I just...will.

cheers,
naismama
Naismama, just jump in...post a poem on the WIP thread or follow a prompt. we are a nice bunch and will only give feedback if you want it ...take time to read the sticky on feedback, it is very informative.

Blessings..........

#16 of 29 Old 03-13-2006, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I want details! I see that you write the same genres that I do. Is that what your article was? What was the article? What magizine accepted? Where do you get your info (where to accept, etc.)?

If I'm being too nosy just beat me over the head.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#17 of 29 Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat

I want details! I see that you write the same genres that I do. Is that what your article was? What was the article? What magizine accepted? Where do you get your info (where to accept, etc.)?

If I'm being too nosy just beat me over the head.
Hm... nosey? No, you're not, but that's a great idea for a smiley.

Pyramid (Steve Jackson Games e-magazine) accepted an article on alien foods ("Spice Up Your Setting"), a generic RPG article. It will be used "within the next few months." No, I'm not a geek. And that last sentence was a lie.

I'll probably take payment in the form of merchandise (since they double the value if you do it that way) so I can get the latest edition of the GURPS rpg so I can write more articles... so I can get more books... soIcanwritemorearticles...

Seriously, I'm way excited, simply because the boost of confidence will no doubt boost my productivity. My biggest problem is fear of sending the stuff in -- a rare fault among writers, I understand.

Not sure what info you mean. I just went to their website and downloaded the Writer's Guidelines. I've done the same for about every SF/Fantasy mag or e-mag and FRPG company I could think of, but most of them are sitting unread on my hard drive. But no more!

Yep, after anearly a month and a half, the SAHD thing is fianally paying off in pratical terms (long ago started paying dividends emotionally, of course). I think I've finally got the hang of the comlex rythym of naps, feedings and quiet play to be able to snatch an hour or so a day of umolested writing time without letting quite everything go to (w?)rack and ruin!
#18 of 29 Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Hey there. I went to visit my family for a couple weeks. Thank goodness I am finally home. I haven't had much writing time. I was working on a poem the ride home while dh is driving, I don't have much yet but...well when I get time.

I've gotten three rejection emails and one poem published in an ezine in the past month. I can't seem to write and submit at the same time.
Also thought that I would share a site for those looking for places to submit your work.

http://www.duotrope.com/digest/index.aspx

Nice because you can narrow it down, by genre, length, submission type, payscale, ect.. In love with it now.

Congradulations Sean! It's always exciting to get that letter, even more to see your words in print. Validation that someone other than you thinks that your works have worth.
#19 of 29 Old 03-14-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBoy
naismama!

Thanks for saving me from being the FNG!
Monsterboy: So happy to oblige. I just wish I knew what FNG meant. Part of me doesn't want to know because the answer can't be as funny as the stuff I've already come up with in my head
#20 of 29 Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's first new guy, but I may be way off base.

#21 of 29 Old 03-14-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naismama
Monsterboy: I just wish I knew what FNG meant.
Polite version: Freakin' New Guy.
#22 of 29 Old 03-14-2006, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ooohhhh, you sound like my son

#23 of 29 Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK
Ooohhhh, you sound like my son
Dw regularly tells me that I'm a huge 10-year old! I know a lot of men hear that, but I'm pretty sure mine means it.
#24 of 29 Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
MonsterBoy: Are you a gamer...? I did WhiteWolf and D&D 3rd til about a year ago. Good stuff for writing articles there. Good luck with your future gaming addiction... er, I mean, research.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#25 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat
MonsterBoy: Are you a gamer...? I did WhiteWolf and D&D 3rd til about a year ago. Good stuff for writing articles there. Good luck with your future gaming addiction... er, I mean, research.
"gamer" as in one who games? No. "Gamer" as in one who once gamed but hasn't gamed in years due to having a family and life, misses it and tries to substitute writing gaming articles? Yes. :

(Actually, I have gamed.. . A few weeks back I ran dd1 through a freeform game where she played a cow. She immediately picked up the idea and ran me through a game where I was a dragon named Rustopholes, then another where i was a cat named Hushpaw. Natural GM, turned daily events into epic encounters with varied NPCs, all off the top of her head. Though she took it over at the end and made it a storytelling, I was still impressed).

In fact, I didn't mention it because it's so tenuous, but I'm trying to start my own indie spiritual-old-west RPG. The d20 market seems pretty glutted right now, and WW AFAIK still a very proprietary system, so...
#26 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBoy
Dw regularly tells me that I'm a huge 10-year old! I know a lot of men hear that, but I'm pretty sure mine means it.
OOOO, What a compliment

#27 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

I wasn't joking...I think that is a high honor

#28 of 29 Old 03-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Red

Is anyone else's family making it IMPOSSIBLE for them to write? I swear, they're either sick and in my freaking way, or they want to talk.

I suppose there'll be time eventually, but I'm going nuts~!
#29 of 29 Old 03-18-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Is anyone else's family making it IMPOSSIBLE for them to write?
Well, yeah, I feel that way sometimes. YMMV, I suppose, but I also feel that they're (a) incredibly inspirational and (b) very supportive. Dd1 out"writes" me all the time with her stories, in terms of inventiveness, and dw encourages me all the time, was possibly more psyched than I was when I finally sold an article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I swear, they're either sick and in my freaking way, or they want to talk.
I guess I feel that way too, sometimes. But then I think. well, sick isn't usually a premeditated offense and I'd rather have a family that wants to talk than one that doesn't. Not sure what "in you way" refers to (though I certainly feel that way wth the kids sometimes. Like, every day -- in fact, dd1 is busing me by playing with the mouse right now). Basically, I just think of it as life geting in the way. I can remember when I didn't have a life to get in the way, and I can say I prefer this way.

Have you tried setting aside specific time just to write, and letting people know in advance when that will be? Things aren't so bad here if I plan around the kids. I do tell dd1 when I need some time to do something -- writing or otherwise -- and I can't help her right now. Dd2 isn't old enough for that, but naps a few times a day. Dw is out working most of the day now -- and I know I hardly got to write a word when I was out in the office, so I'd have to call that a bonus.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page