Week one~Writers workshop Wed Mar.22nd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-14-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. Feel free to jump right on in.

This workshop will focus on 'becoming a parent' , Meaning through birthing your own baby, adopting, becoming pregnant and losing a child (you're still a mother/father) becoming a surrogate mother, any other way you can think of.

We will do this in a freewriting, stream of consciousness style...no thinking allowed. All you will need is a favorite pen and a notebook (a fresh clean one always feels good for a new project) Leave the inner critic behind, keep your pen moving, you can always edit later. I encourage you to connect to your writing through your pen , hand and paper even if you're used to the keyboard. Remember, this is 'creative' writing so feel free to write whatever you want, whatever comes through. Our focus is on the transformation that takes place as you merge into the role of a parent.

Week one is geared towards the time when you first discover you are pregnant (or your signifigant other is) or when you find out that the baby is ready to be adopted, etc. It can even be about the moment that you and your partner decided to start trying to become pregnant...anything related. I'll give a list of prompts that you can use for inspiration or you can make your own...be free in your writing. Use any POV you want to, post your favorite, share with us. We will not be giving feedback unless you ask for it and for that there is another thread so this one will flow with your beautiful writings

Anticipation
Fear
Joy
Planting
Ambivilance
Decision
Food tastes...
Mystery
Bridge from...

Have fun and remember to be free. I can't wait to read all of your words. I'll be back next Wed. with week two.

Whatever will be, already is...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-18-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

This is partially to bump, partially to encourage you to participate. It should be fun and not take up too much time...

#3 of 8 Old 03-25-2006, 03:00 AM

Okay, I guess I'll go first. It is rather negative, the next two pregnancies were a lot more positive. I'll try and get to them later when I don't have a house full of sickos.

I remember you sneaking into my room in the middle of the night. Considering all the times that I snuck out without detection I shouldn't have been surprised. I can't remember now if I was expecting you or not. All I remember was waking up with you standing next to my bed. I grabbed a sweater and we were off. I'm sure that it seemed terribly romantic back then but looking back I wonder how I was so stupid. Running away from home because I was pregnant. No one could really force you to do something that you didn't want to, esspecially an abortion but the threat seemed so real to me. It's funny how all the things that I can forgive my mother for that's not one of them. Well the fun didn't last long, when you are living in a barn in the middle of the winter. That story didn't end well.

That first mother's day after I lost the baby was the hardest. It was less than a month and the memory still so fresh in my mind. I was a mother, I gave birth. I felt that baby move inside of me. It was so cruel and unfair, and all I could think of was why me.

When I found out that I was pregnant with Sapphire all I remember was shock. I didn't go to the doctor for that, I was so not expecting that response. I didn't have the slightest clue. I must have looked as shocked as I felt becaue the doctor asked if I had a ride home. I didn't tell my family right away. I had to tell her father first. He had no expression on his face. It's kind of funny, he wanted me to be pregnant to kind of stick me to him but it just drove us farther apart. I just couldn't imagine him as a father. Certainly not a good one.
#4 of 8 Old 03-25-2006, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Travelinmom, thanks for sharing...I enjoyed reading...Anyone else?

I'll check back in next week to read all of the lovely responses...

"Peace out" (as my DS likes to say )

#5 of 8 Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 AM

a grey tweed maternity jumper from the thrift store....
i am driving home and am stopped at a red light, at three months along. and i notice a woman get out of her car, then a girl, seven? get out, and the two go into the drugstore.
and i think, this is it. i am never, ever, going to be alone again. ever. it will never be just me again. driving in my car. living my life.....

at seven months along, in the dark beginning of winter, you (dh) leave me here in this tiny appartment in buffalo to go for the next four days in search of a job far from here. (with hope and desperation for a place we can call home.) and i sit on the bed in our bedroom with the lights off, the room dark, but silent snow is falling falling on the buffalo sidewalks and highways all around and i am all alone. with this unknown life within me. then two tears fall and

i am suddenly
struck.
that inside of me a tiny helpless baby might be feeling
even more frightened
even more alone

i place my hands on my belly and
i sing to you. for the very first time.

(i could not, if mountains parted to allow it, remember now what song i sang.)
#6 of 8 Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I know you're in there. I can feel you moving. You take up space in a world that I have made MINE. Yeah, I know. I can be just a little possessive.

I have never been much of a contact person. I'm not a big hugger and I hate strangers touching me. I've never met you, but I worry when you don't kick me in the gut enough.

I don't focus well and I'm not very social (particularly this time of year). But I think of you dozens of times an hour. And when I sing, I wonder if you like the song. When I read, I wonder if you want to hear it.

I hear so much about how a single mother cannot possibly fulfill the roles needed by a son, but I am growing awfully particular about the men in my life, or rather in yours. I would rather try to fulfill those roles then subject you to someone I'm not sure is worthy.

Then I spend hours wondering if you will be permenantly damaged. Is anything better then nothing? I have never believed that, but doubt is creeping in.

How can I possibly give you what you need? I don't see how. If I won the lottery, married the perfect man, stayed home and baked cookies with you... I don't see how.

And over and over I am burdened with the thought: all people are devine from birth. Can I help you keep your divinity?

Are we not all aspects of god? But can I do the right thing often enough?

Or maybe (as you kick me again) I just have to love you enough. And tears come to my eyes, as they always do, when I think of loving you.

I have never met your eyes, touched your cheek, kissed your head or held your hands. But I have never loved anyone else, next to you.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#7 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 AM

A positive test. A nurse's "yes." My giddy suspician made Real.

Mind set in motion around a moment that belongs to me. And, yes, you.

..."continue with this pregnancy?" And I remember the cold phone is still cradled against my ear. My lips form around an instinctive "yes."

My heart descends into your secret nest. I will remain with you until you can no longer remember the echos, the whispers of my "yes."

You, yes.
#8 of 8 Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Bump ~for instructions~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page