Having trouble getting started - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We lost my MIL a few weeks ago to Lou Gehrig's Disease. I want to write a book about her and the impact she made on the lives of those around her. I'm having trouble knowing where to start with this. Anybody have any ideas?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 3 Old 06-05-2006, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Start where ever you want to start. What moves you most? Was there a defining moment? What made you want to record her story in the first place? If you're unsure, you can always just start at the beginning.

It has only been a few weeks and your emotions are still raw. You may not wish to publish what you write now but you will no doubt discover the seeds of ideas in what you write in this initial pass.

I have always wanted to write my grandmother's story but she has long passed on and no-one from her childhood is still living. If I write her story now, it will be a work of fiction.
#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2006, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with marsupialmama. The two authors I know well who have books like this both started from a series of essays. They each had a book in mind, but wrote the shorter peices to help establish a voice and audience for the story and to work through the sharpest grief.
Best,
Diane

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page