questions about writing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-18-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What books about writing have you learned from?

How do you write? On the computer or paper?

How do you organize your writings? in notebooks? etc

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 PM

I think I have almost every writing book there is I really liked Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott though...I learn a little bit from each one though.

I usually write longhand and then type it out on the pc. I like to write early in the AM either bf the DC are up, or when they are with their dad (I'm divorced) in that case i like to write in coffeehouses.

I am currently organizing the book I'm working on in a 3 ring binder. I also use alot of index cards to organize plot and character traits...I LOVE my index cards.

(sorry for any typos, typing quickly)

Kelly~

Whatever will be, already is...

#3 of 8 Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 PM

I wrote a long response and MDC lost it with log in. Hmph!

To answer the questions:

I write mostly short, personal, creative non-fiction articles and book reviews. I write directly into my laptop unless I'm away from my 'puter, then I use pencil and paper, but I prefer to 'word process'.

I save all my work in digital format in my 'puter and back them up regularly so nothing can be lost. I regularly rework old articles to keep them fresh and up to date. I may publish them in a book one day or perhaps polish and expand them for a more widely distributed publication than the one I write for (voluntarily - I don't get paid).

I'm about to embark on a larger writing project with two other writers. Co-authoring will be a new experience for me. Even though it will be non-fiction I might adopt the index card system or try a ring binder. There's no substitute for reading work on paper sometimes.

I am new to this writing gig and have only been doing it for a few years and since becoming a mother. So I haven't done any courses yet - although I intend to as soon as my baby daughter can be left for a day or a weekend. More recently I've subscribed to a few magazines/journals that help me analyse my writing and improve. It would be great to have a writers group but our family is too transient at this stage (we're Australians in the US until the end of the year).

I write surrounded by my kids and piles of laundry and dishes and constant interruption! I guess that's why I haven't written anything more ambitious than parenting articles and book reviews yet. If I have a deadline to meet I write in the mornings on the weekends when my husband can mind the children.
#4 of 8 Old 06-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsmomma

Thanks!

Nah, books about writing I don't read.

I enjoy writing long hand... the feel of pen on paper. I do type on occasion, and am becoming 'used' to it... but for poems especially.... paper/pen.

About the only thing I organize are poems or as I call them 'twiddles'. Anything I really like, I copy into this notebook I have when I consider it complete. I have a few longer poems I like, that only have the 'start' to them in there...

Tammy
#5 of 8 Old 06-19-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial*mama
I wrote a long response and MDC lost it with log in.

I HATE THAT, it happened to me yesterday when the boards crashed : (now........back to topic )

Whatever will be, already is...

#6 of 8 Old 06-20-2006, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsmomma

Thanks!
I second Bird By Bird. i have several others, but i haven't re-read them in ages. about time now. the most useful advice i got, and they all mention this , is 'show don't tell'. this, and the dialouge not needing to be the 'transciption' of an actual dialouge. you can cut a lot to increase the pace and the dynamics.

i rarely write longhand. i type fast, and i get the satisfaction of seeing the text appear neatly in front of me. almost faster than i think

yet one story that i wrote longhand while playing playmobil with dd (yes, i can multitask ) just got accepted into BuzzWords.

my writing is in Word files, and they are messy, messy, messy : . when i need to submit something, i often can't even find the right version. i have to do something about my organisation.
#7 of 8 Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Red

I enjoy "pen on fire" which is a great book about finding the time to write and has lots of topic starters and exercises.

I also love borrowing "Writing teh Natural Way", by Rico, from the library

I write long hand in cheapo notebooks I get every sept from Walmart. $.10 a piece! I start any new novels or topics I think I'd like to write a book about in their own notebook and use another one for shorter pieces, exercises, etc. I write on the cover so I can, hopefully, find what I'm looking for.
#8 of 8 Old 07-04-2006, 11:14 PM

I don't usually read books about writing, but Triggering Town by Richard Hugo I like. A lot of what's in there has stayed with me for many years.

I usually write on computer, but if that's not working I go to a yellow pad. Yellow pad writing is great because I can just get everything out and it's so sloppy I don't feel like I have to get it perfect the first time. I know I'll have to retype it all later if it's a keeper.

My writing's very disorganized. I've got old stuff on paper in a filing box, and a kajillion files on my laptop in several different formats. I don't even have a good computer filing system -- I have files, but I always end up saving stuff in the wrong place. It's terrible when I'm trying to submit stuff -- I can never tell what's a final draft and what isn't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page