I have an idea for a book - where do I start? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-22-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to write a birth workbook called The Sacredness of Birth (or something similar). I want to include discussions of the options for location, pain management, and interventions for birth, but mainly focusing on the history of treating birth as a sacred event in many cultures. I want to include exercises for reclaiming that spirit of awe and beauty that's supposed to be with birth, including meditations, music, art, and journal entries.

So, that's my idea. Where do I get started? Do I write it, then try to get it published? Or should I find someone who's interested in the idea first? I've never been published, how likely is it that I'll even find someone who'll read my idea and not dismiss it because I'm unpublished?

Thanks!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 4 Old 08-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds viable for publishing, I would buy it. I would write some and then send out query letters. The only thing I know to tell you is to look in Writer's market (the most recent one) to find out about likely publishers...I can't wait to hear what some of the published mamas say.

Great idea

Whatever will be, already is...

#3 of 4 Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Red

It depends. How badly do you want to write it?

Do you burn to get this down? Is it eating at you? If so, WRITE IT. Just start and do it. Supposedly, non-fiction can be done as queries' to publishers, to see if anyone's interested. But what are the chances of them buying an idea from someone with no experience?

I'm NO expert! THis is just what I'd do.

I'd write a few chapters, make them into a magazine acticle-length piece, and contact a number of mags (Mothering???: ) to try to get it published.

Once you get THAT done, you could submit your idea to publishers with some proof of it's viability.

Oh....what happens if you send it to a publisher and they say, "Wow! THat's fantastic! WE want it, as sson as you can?" Will you freak? Do you have little ones who need your time? If so, and if you think it might take a year or so to write (Or more, it's taken me MUCH longer) then write most of it, proof it, have others tear it apart and help you put it back together, etc, then send it to pubs.

Search for groups online, writers groups, who specialize in non-fiction....there's a group for any kind of writer. They are invaluable! They'll know of some pub's who are apt to be interested, and they'll be able to help you with the shaky parts.

GOOD LUCK!
#4 of 4 Old 08-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Do some internet searches on queries for nonfiction. You will need 2-3 sample chapters, a table of contents, and a marketing plan to submit it to prospective publishers. Writing articles first is a good idea to develop your bio.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page