how do i get published? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am writing a book of poetry and a workbook for sexual trauma survivors. I really want to publish it. How do I do that? I have no clue where to get started.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#2 of 3 Old 08-25-2006, 07:23 AM

A friend of mine has written a book on this -and actually a few other closely related topics (like finding an agent, etc...) Her name is Fern Reiss.

Here is the link to it on Amazon:

The Publishing Game: How to get published in 30 days
#3 of 3 Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 PM

check out duotrope for publishing venues. i just recently started submitting flash fiction to various mags, and their database is awesome.

you might want to try to publish individual poems first, so that you have a bit of a resume when you are submitting your collection. but of course different people have different approaches, whatever feels right to you.

i started subbing to on-line mags at first, but i was very careful to sub to those that are well established or edited by people whose writing i admire. i am happy with everything i published, except for one, which i subbed on a whim, and i am not too crazy about the mag now.

starting this september i am going to sub to only print mags, and will see if i get anything in. flash fiction is still on the fringes.

i can imagine that for poetry, as for flash fiction, on-line magazines could be really good. i would not submit a longer piece to an on-line mag, though.

i also joined zoetrope, a huge writing workshop, and it does have a poetry wing, though it is not as popular as short stories and flash. but there is a discussion board there, and a 'hall of fame', so you can see where other people have published.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page