Sheer Bliss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-01-2006, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My time for actually concentrating & writing has been hectic to nonexistent since the babes were born, but research is more doable, & so I am actually signing up for a class. A class that takes money. I am in heaven, since the sorts of things I've got my mind's eye on tend to require travel & dusty university libraries to research. That I'll benefit from someone else's ability to do so is so exciting.

It's this: http://www.thebeaumonde.com/academe/#upcoming

Childbearing in the Regency - Elena Greene
September 10 - September 30

'During the Regency the language of pregnancy was changing. Earlier in the 18th century, one might be "breeding"; by "our" time one was "in an interesting condition" or "in the family way." But what was it like to bear children during the Regency?

Was it improper for a pregnant lady to be seen in public? Who would attend her confinement? A midwife? A surgeon? What was her husband's role (besides the obvious)? How dangerous was childbirth? What recourse was there if things went wrong? What was expected of a new mother? Could she leave her baby with a wet-nurse and resume a busy social schedule...'

Being amongst a bunch of writing & history nerds that are happen to gather on the site where we now are, it just seemed like something y'all might be interested in.

I can't wait.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page