Need a novel buddy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-02-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I've never posted here before, but...

I'm writing a novel, my first attempt. I've been doing this for - oh - five years? However, I just submitted my first academic article, and that took me 5 years as well. So I know I can do it. I just don't get as much done in other parts of life, like cleaning the bathtub. But I don't mind a messy bathtub.

But I need deadlines! Pressure! That's how I work. I suspect that my dd might drop her nap at 2, so I'd like to be feeling done by then (that's when I like to write).

So. I have 60 pages of "stuff". I'd like to be done a first draft by February-ish, then revise for another 6 months, then submit it next September.

Does this sound like your time frame? Want to be my writing check-in and nagging and editing buddy? I'd love it!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 01:34 AM

Hi Tricia! I'm working on a novel too. I starting processing it about 6 yrs ago, but really it was more like 4 yrs ago that I got the gist of what I wanted to write about. I have 2 chapters about 80% done, and the third one started, but a Loooong way from even 50% for that one. Anyway, I'd love to nag atcha! Will you nag back I hope so. I get a lot done in bursts, I'm not as good at the sit and write for 45 min every day thing. Kinda sucky, but some days my 19 mo is just not into napping, but boy is he ever grumpy/clingy/whiney/dependent! So on good days I sometimes write, on bad days I don't. That's sorta my thing. My time frame may be a bit longer - I am hoping to have something to submit by the time he is 3. I think realistically that'll work for me...if I can keep up writing in bursts 2-3 times a week.

keep talking!!!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#3 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 09:49 AM

I'm working on a novel as well. I have the prologue and the first two chapters 'done' I'm calling this my practice novel because I've never written in this form, so if it turns out to be good, I'll submit it. If it doesn't meet my expectations, I will finish it and hang onto it.

I like the idea of a 'novel buddy' My writing group has served this purpose for me, really taking an interest in what I've written during the week. I feel like I have to get things done. It's a good thing

Whatever will be, already is...

#4 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Awesome that you have a writing group to support your work! I started one, but we lost a key woman in it (she moved) and the others? Not nearly as motivated or into being there. So. This forum might be what I need.

Tricia - do you work every day on your book?

#5 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

No, I don't work on it every day...but I just finished the academic article that I procrastinated about for 5 years, and I worked on that just about every day. So I am hoping to carry that over into the novel. I'm at the point where my characters are doing their own thing in my head, so I think about it when biking and nursing sometimes, then I write it down later.

Ok, that sounds a little crazy, but hey!

I'd love to have a writing group one day, but I don't feel like I am at the point where I can sneak out at night yet. Dd wakes and wants me.

So...if you want some reciprocal nagging, I'm up for it! Say - once a week? We could try to check in here, share bits and pieces or problems....

#6 of 15 Old 09-04-2006, 01:58 PM

Dear writing friend, I am mother of four, last 2 twins! DDis great dad, and though we never homebirthed, 1st 2 were natural, twins ended being c-s. Breech and huge. I was an English major in college and have a Master of Arts in Teaching. I would love to share your writing experience with you. I can only offer my opinions and don't wish to tell you what 2 write. But if you could use help, I'm here. I encourage u; I always wanted to write a Childrens
picture book. Maybe u could inspire me!

Much blessings on your work of art ~ spirit dove
#7 of 15 Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Red

Could I suggest a novel thread? I'm working on a novel too. Have it finished, but only half of it is really DONE. THe other half, I have the idea for, but it needs a lot of editing, and polishing.

What if we each posted our weeks best work, every Wednesday? (Or any day). If you have a chapter, great, we all read it and make our suggestions. If you have just a few pages, that's fine too. But you HAVE to have something.

I know some specifics about what is wrong with mine and what I need checked, and each person brings a new viewpoint. I've also got an envelope full of rejection notes, have had a published novelist go over my novel, etc. So, I can bring some 'unpublished' experience!

And, I AM going to be published, within the next 2 years. Yep, published. I have set a goal, have worked towards it and will drag you kicking and screaming with me.

Wanna?
#8 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 12:30 AM

slightly OT:
anyone doing nanowrimo.org in november? i did it last year and it was great. i have a rough draft, 50K, to work on now.
#9 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Wanna - gulp!
Does Wednesday sound good to folks?
I must say, I don't always write in logical segments, so expect a bunch of mismatched pieces....

Should we make this logical by telling others what the gist of the novel is beforehand?

#10 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Any possibility I could jump in here?

I have a character and a general idea of where she goes and why. DH has been on my case to get working on this, alas, I too lack the discipline to churn it out.

In fact, I never did my thesis and it's been 12 years now since I finished my Master's work.

I would very much like to receive some encouragement and pressure from some friendly voices!

Peace,
Judi
#11 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oooh, oooh! Me, too! Sci-fi novel, mostly done. I've worked on it for about ten years now, on and off.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#12 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 03:48 PM

What a great crowd! Sounds like we've got enough to GO with a once a week check in (tho I for sure will be on more than that lol!).

Starting with WMF and then me, we have Wolfcat, Annabanna, and Beloved K., Spirit Dove (maybe?) and Twilight Girl So... what about the new thread? do we confuse and try to move to a dedicated place? Less introduction, more about the writing itself? How should we post our work? I'm not ready for EVERYONE to read my stuff - there's a lot of work still to do. But I'd really like to be able to get YOU gals into my stuff. I have access to a secure webworld (like this one but private and not quite so...huge). I don't think we could ALL post there, but if people want to email me their stuff I should be able to download it onto the site. Problem...how to get ya'll onto the site. Sigh. Any other ideas???

#13 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We could get into groups of three or four and do a weekly chat.
Or we could do a weekly chat as a whole.
Or we could have a partner.
Or we could all give parts to each other and have a biweekly or monthly chat (more time to read more stuff, kwim).

Okay, I'm out of ideas.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#14 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM

Hmmm. A dilemna. At risk of sounding totally paranoid, I must ask, and how can we protect our unpublished intellectual property? If we are going to start sharing our progress, how do we avoid our ideas being stolen (not by each another, but this is the Internet)?

I wonder if we could do some sort of yahoo group or something, or even just private e-mails among the group?

Judi
#15 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Red

I started a thread for us!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=515421

It's okay to post pretty long stuff here. I can host other stuff and get you in easy enough.

Twilight gril, once you write something, it's copywritten, simply by your writng it. Even if someone stole some of your work, they'd have to write the rest and it would feel different. It's not somehting I worry about. Not that many people come here, to the writing group, anyway.

I've belonged to a few Yahoo writers groups, I think the differrence is that you don't ever go there for fun, so you wind up avoiding it after awhile. Though if enough of you are concerned, I'll follow where you go!!!:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page