How to Publish? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-17-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I am a new member, and a hopeful writer. I write because the words need to get out, but have never been published.

Does anyone have some good tips on where to venture into publsihing? Whether it be website, magazine or just a reference book.

Or maybe just some ways to get over the fear of showing your work to others.

Thanks!
#2 of 2 Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Writer's Market puts out an excellent line of books on writing and getting published. You can look at them at your library, figure out which one is best for you. (they have novel and short stories, magazines, non-fiction, etc)

As for the fear, why not post something here, ask for positive feedback, only. EVERYONE has had that fear, so everyone understands. After a few pieces, you could ask for feedback, but request that people be gentle with you.

You could also send a piece to the letters section of a local newspaper (or to their poetry corner, if that's more your style), just to see it in print, and get over the fear. And if it's having your neighbors, friends, kids friends, etc see you, just pick a pen name. I did!

Now please, this forum is eerily quiet. Post SOMETHING!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page