Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Mothers' Writing Group (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/)
-   -   NaNoWriMo? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/281-mothers-writing-group/531452-nanowrimo.html)

Cassiopeia 10-02-2006 11:30 AM

Anybody else going to do it this year? Every year I try so of half heartedly but this year I feel committed. Anybody else gearing up? (I know, it's not the best time of year for lots of mamas.)

Red 10-02-2006 11:34 AM

I have NO idea what you're talking about! Info please!

Indigo73 10-02-2006 02:33 PM

I am think about giving National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) http://www.nanowrimo.org again this year. Last year I had a false start but am very pumped to try again. Just gotta chose which idea I have swimming around.

ShannonCC 10-02-2006 03:50 PM

I did it last year Not that I've done much with my story since then but it was a TON of fun! I'm doing it again this year only switching from Horror to children's fantasy

aishy 10-03-2006 12:12 AM

I'm doing it, sixth year ! I finished the first two only.

i have no plot ideas yet and i plan to keep it that way until closer till november.

Aisling

ShaggyDaddy 10-03-2006 12:18 PM

I have done nano with Aisling before, but I just can't write with little kiddoes in the house. Instead I try to use my lunch breaks for writing on one of my existing projects for the entire month of november.

twilight girl 10-03-2006 03:31 PM

I'm in, just signed up!

Treehuggin'Mama 10-03-2006 04:12 PM

This will be my fourth year! I'm so excited!! I can't wait!!! My user name on there is BellaWild.

(I've never "won"... hmmm... and now I've got a babe to look after... hmmm... this will probably be more crazy than ever...I'm still excited though...)

St. Margaret 10-04-2006 08:32 PM

I nano! I just posted on the other thread, though....

cmom80 10-19-2006 09:00 PM

Too cool! I just found this board (MDC), and signed up for NaNoWriMo last week. Heh!!

Yup, I am gearing up, but being a new mommy to a (sometimes colicky) three-month-old, I'm not sure how it'll go. Pretty excited about it, though!

leahida 10-24-2006 11:51 PM

I signed up! This will be my first year -- I can't wait...

cdmaze 10-28-2006 07:29 PM

I'm doing it-- still deciding which story to work on....

orla 11-01-2006 02:40 AM

I'm signed up - subbing!!

blue 11-01-2006 11:06 AM

I'm doing it! Um, I should be writing right now. Back to work!

twilight girl 11-01-2006 12:10 PM

Whoo-hooo! Here we go!!! It's November 1 :

Good luck everyone!!

cdmaze 11-01-2006 03:49 PM

i dont know how I''m gonna do this with my kids to take care of...but I'm giving it a shot.

I have an Alphasmart- I'm just gonna take it everywhere I go and see how much I can finish.

Mighty Jalapeno 11-01-2006 03:55 PM

Damn right! I'm.... up to five words.

Twocoolboys 11-01-2006 04:04 PM

Good luck everyone! Does anyone have a high word count goal for the day? Mine is 5,000. I want to start off on a high note. I've got 2,500 done already. My ds is watching a lot of tv :

cdmaze 11-01-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Good luck everyone! Does anyone have a high word count goal for the day? Mine is 5,000. I want to start off on a high note. I've got 2,500 done already. My ds is watching a lot of tv :
What a terrible mother! (as my dd is staring glassy-eyed at the tv, watching Cinderella..)

Indigo73 11-01-2006 04:32 PM

I'll probably be doing a lot of power typing on the weekends. (At work)

withchild334 11-01-2006 05:01 PM

I've signed up too. I'm just worried about making up the word count each day as I have 3 children.

cottonwood 11-01-2006 05:57 PM

I tried to do it last year, but just couldn't get a plot going, and it just felt hopeless. I didn't feel good about just writing for the sake of writing when I am taking time away from my family to do this, I wanted more at the end of it than 50,000 words. But this year I have a plot, and I'm excited about it! Actually, it came to me early this morning while I was in bed halfway between sleeping and waking, on November 1st, and if that isn't a sign I don't know what is. I spent a couple of hours this morning fleshing out the outline, and I've got 1864 words already. I'm thinking I'll take a break from my other book (see my siggy) which is pretty emotionally draining and honestly the hardest writing work I've ever done, and just make this about having fun.

I'm already feeling a bit of self-doubt creeping in, though. Any of you dealing with that?

Twocoolboys 11-01-2006 06:48 PM

Yes, self-doubt for sure! I just finished my 5,001 words for the day. I want to have one day a week when I crank out a lot of words like this. The rest of the week, I can do around 1,500 or so. I have a loose plot in mind, and a few characters in mind, in addition to my main character. But, this is some of the crappiest writing I have done in a long time - lol. I write short stories typically and have never taken on a novel before, not for real anyway. So, I'm used to my writing being much tighter and also used to reading and editing a lot as I go. To have this in rough draft format for so long is odd. But, I just keep telling myself that I am going to end up with some gems tucked in here and there and I can always revise later. I do think I am keeping on track as far as my plot goes though. And, now that I have gotten started, I really want to do an outline, although it will be a very loose one and will probably change as I go. Ok, that was wordy - sorry! I am in fast typing mode - lol!

Stay motivated everyone! My son did watch a lot of tv today, but I haven't totally ignored him. I mostly just sat down and wrote 300-500 words at a time until I reached my goal. We are getting ready to go outside now.

You can do it!

Cassiopeia 11-01-2006 08:51 PM

I'm gearing up to start writing tonight. I have the inklings of a plot. I have an inciting incident but not sure where it's going after that. I'm writing sci fi so even if I use lots of my words just on world building I'll be happy.

lotusbeans 11-01-2006 09:17 PM

Kontessa 11-02-2006 01:59 AM

I really have the doubt thing going on tonight. Just a few hours left to the day and I am just now getting baby to bed and my daughter is still going strong. It is so hard to put the house work out of mind so I can sit and finish 2,000 more words tonight. -sigh-

Cassiopeia 11-02-2006 09:30 AM

I fell asleep putting my son to bed last night so I'm playing catch up already. On the upside, I laid in bed this morning working out more of my plot in my head .

Indigo73 11-02-2006 10:18 AM

I wrote less than 700 words last night. Think I have to scrap that idea, old plot that's been rattling around my head. Guess it needs to stay there longer. Have 2 more ideas that I will play with while at work and see if one gels enough to get past, um. um. um.

aishy 11-02-2006 12:44 PM

I just finally hit 2k. That is my daily goal, so I still need to do 2k for today. If I can manage to get to 5k today that would be great, it's a matter of NOT playing online (i'm consta-connected) and chatting.

Right now, since i'm babysitting for a friend in a couple of hours, I have to pay attention to the house for a bit. I'll have plenty of play with the kids time (my friends children are also 3 & 1, there is NO writing when I have all four) and then in the early afternoon I can probably write while my daughter naps. We'll see . . . yesterday I fell asleep with her. I am finding that if I hold off on the writing until they are all in bed I am just too tired to concentrate. FUNNY sentence came out of this last night ; ) I have no idea what i meant ...

aisling

Twocoolboys 11-02-2006 05:22 PM

Aishy - I'm with you. I'm too tired to write at night too. I'm trying to get it all done during the day and then if I have the energy, at night I will do some outlines for the next day.

How is everyone doing today? My ds napped today, so I banged out my 1500 words for the day pretty quickly. I wanted to get it done before ds1 gets home from school. I'm up to 6,591. Lots of dialogue today and not much description.

Anyone printing out the story as they go? I am printing each day when I am done with that days work and putting it all in a binder.

It's all about babysteps, everyone. Don't think of the 50,000 words, just think of the 1500-2000 for each day.