Newbie and closet writer . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-03-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have notebooks full of beginnings of stories, and a head full of insistent characters who are getting fairly annoyed at not having their turn on paper. I adore books, and my fondest wish is to live in a library (or better yet, a well-stocked bookstore).

How do you know when the writing that is the passion of your heart is worthy of becoming writing for publication? How do you commit to writing a story -- the whole story, with all the messy parts and nights spent figuring out just the right way to set a scene -- and not become terrified at the sheer bulk of work?

Dh, who couldn't care less about books, loves to see me write. He loves how it makes me feel, and he supports me 1000% in writing for both pleasure and profit. I don't have the foggiest idea how one goes about getting published, and I freely admit to a tremendous fear of rejection and/or success.

So, fellow writers . . . speak to me!
#2 of 6 Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Just wanted to post a quick hello. I'm new to this part of MDC too.

Have you ever taken a writing class? I took the Institute of Children's Literature writing course and found it helped me a lot. I really learned how to tighten up my format and move the plot along. I also have been writing mostly short stories because it helps me to have a feeling of accomplishment. I have started novels before, but always lost interest - lol.

I have submitted a few things for consideration to be published and had one story published on-line. That was a few years ago and that site is no longer up. But, the rejection thing does suck. The best advice I can give is to always ask for the writer's guidelines because then you will at least be sure that your piece won't be rejected because you didn't have it in the right format, you know? My most encouraging rejections are the ones I have gotten personal notes for with specific encouragement - they like my story it's just not what they need at the time kind of things, rather than a photo-copied form letter.

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? I'm hoping to be able to crank out a novel that way. I'm also thinking about doing some non-fiction, informational articles again.
#3 of 6 Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM

snuggly mama,

Ditto!

I've been writing since I was a kid, and to this day I can't leave the house without a few notebooks in my bag. I'll be going back to school in Jan, mostly for inspiriation because I find that I do really well in a structured environment.

I have no advice to give, just empathy at being in the same boat. I am meeting with a writer friend for coffee on Fri to hopefully get some ideas of how she got "out there." If I come away with anything helpful I'll let you know.

~Cera
#4 of 6 Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Fay

I've been writing essays and poems about my DS, and I've had some luck getting stuff published this year...of course, I didn't get paid anything except for 2 free issues of Organic Family magazine, but it's been incredibly rewarding to see my work in print. Writing is also my heart's passion.

I don't know anything about getting fiction published, but for poetry or non-fiction pieces, there are plenty of little mama-run zines out there..."Fertile Ground," "Screamachine," and others...that would probably be very open to your work. Check out the Sticky thread at the top of this forum called, "Submission Bulletin Board." There are some very interesting calls for submission of various types of pieces. Good luck!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#5 of 6 Old 10-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggly mama View Post
I have notebooks full of beginnings of stories, and a head full of insistent characters who are getting fairly annoyed at not having their turn on paper. I adore books, and my fondest wish is to live in a library (or better yet, a well-stocked bookstore).

Ah, this has long been my dream!!!

Quote:
How do you know when the writing that is the passion of your heart is worthy of becoming writing for publication? How do you commit to writing a story -- the whole story, with all the messy parts and nights spent figuring out just the right way to set a scene -- and not become terrified at the sheer bulk of work?
How did you commmit to having a baby? The long messy parts and nights spent up, walking the floor?

Just think about what you want to write TODAY. How that piece will come out, how you'll refine what you did yesterday. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Eventually, you either decide to finish and submit a piece, or you don't.

Quote:
Dh, who couldn't care less about books, loves to see me write. He loves how it makes me feel, and he supports me 1000% in writing for both pleasure and profit. I don't have the foggiest idea how one goes about getting published, and I freely admit to a tremendous fear of rejection and/or success.

So, fellow writers . . . speak to me!
Go to tthe library. Look in the reference section for WRiters Market books. They have a line that refer to all types of writeres; novels and short stories, magazines, poetry, etc. Read the one that most closely applies to you. Buy it if you can!

Why fear success? Imagine your dh staying home and helping with the kids house, etc, and you going off to write for a few hours. Imagine that supporting you all. WOuldn't that be amazing?! (That's what I'm hoping for, eventually.)
#6 of 6 Old 11-05-2006, 11:44 PM

snuggly mama,
I am with you in your fears. I write as well, but hesitate to let even my dh read any of it. I have this awful feeling that I can't write anything anyone would want to read. But I write nevertheless. I am just now trying to get up the gumption to send some things off. I write non-fiction prose and some journalistic style stories. I have no head for fiction. I love to read it, but can't write it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page