How to get published in Mothering or other parenting magazines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if any of you published mamas out there would kindly recount for me the process of getting your pieces published in Mothering or other parenting magazines...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM

I'm surprised this question has been sitting here without response for so long!

Getting published is usually a simple matter. If you know your audience well and the general type of article the magazine receives, you can just submit your article directly via email and wait for a response. It is best to write your article specifically for your audience rather than write the article for a general audience then try to find a suitable venue to publish.

They are usually pretty swift to claim articles they wish to print. If you get no response, go ahead and call/email enquiring as to your article's suitability. They might give you some tips on why they aren't interested if that is their response to your work. Sometimes a rework will see your articles resubmitted and selected.

Publishers are generally unhappy if you submit the same article to more than one magazine at a given time. Most also like articles to be clearly referenced, even if they don't publish a bibliography with your work.

As for topics, it helps if your article presents a clear point of view or a novel way of thinking about something relevant to the magazine's readership.

I'm still starting out in this business myself. I have been lucky that I have been given a voice (without payment) in a grassroots parenting magazine so it has helped me practise my art and see what works and what doesn't in the public arena.

Good luck, and if you want a writing buddy I'd be happy to volunteer. It seems we write about the same kinds of things.
#3 of 11 Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 PM

I am a freelance-writer-wannabe as well, with a stupid question: to which E-mail do you send the article?
#4 of 11 Old 10-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Generally, on the inside cover of the magazine it will tell you whether or not the magazine receives unsolicited articles submissions. There is likely to be a specific email address provided for submissions but if not, send it to the editor.

If you can't find such information - call them!! They don't bite! You'll only enhance your chances of being selected if you know what they want and how they prefer you to submit it. My experience isn't broad but I'm sure each magazine can be a bit different in how they receive unsolicited submissions.
#5 of 11 Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 AM

I've had a few articles picked up by online momma magazines just from the simple fact that I sent the article to a few momma friends and they forwarded it and so on and so on...just get it out there for someone to read and tell you what they think sometimes returns with a pulication of your article
#6 of 11 Old 11-05-2006, 11:31 PM

Hi, you wrote:

Publishers are generally unhappy if you submit the same article to more than one magazine at a given time. Most also like articles to be clearly referenced, even if they don't publish a bibliography with your work.

How do they know if you send your article to other magazines? Do parenting magazines share this type of information?
#7 of 11 Old 11-07-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walden's momma View Post
How do they know if you send your article to other magazines? Do parenting magazines share this type of information?
They know if they accept it and you just signed with another magazine for the same article.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#8 of 11 Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
They know if they accept it and you just signed with another magazine for the same article.

well, if you sim sub and then get accepted, then you need to notify the other mags immediately. they might not be happy, but this is what most people do.
#9 of 11 Old 11-27-2006, 03:08 AM

Most magazines require that you submit your manuscript, double-spaced, by snail mail with a SASE. Sometimes there is a reading fee. The process is different for every venue, so you'll have to check webpages for 'submission guidelines.'

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#10 of 11 Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM

There's some misinformation in this post.

Hardly anyone requires you to send via regular mail and most definitely no magazines charge a "reading fee." Reading fees are mostly associated with agents and are SCAMS.

Second, if you really only submit to one place at a time, good luck selling that. You can submit to 10, hear back from 4 (after pestering) and only 1 will accept.

And, no, they don't always jump on an idea they like. I've had things get assigned SEVEN MONTHS after initial submission, multiple times.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#11 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
There's some misinformation in this post.

Hardly anyone requires you to send via regular mail and most definitely no magazines charge a "reading fee." Reading fees are mostly associated with agents and are SCAMS.

Second, if you really only submit to one place at a time, good luck selling that. You can submit to 10, hear back from 4 (after pestering) and only 1 will accept.

And, no, they don't always jump on an idea they like. I've had things get assigned SEVEN MONTHS after initial submission, multiple times.
I would agree with this. Most editors are very open to accepting query letters by e-mail. Also, you don't have to write your article and send it in; you can query your idea, showing the editor you have a solid idea of what angle you plan to take and whom you plan to use as sources. (The exception to this would be if you are submitting a personal essay or column. Then, paste the whole thing into the body of the e-mail query.)

I agree about submitting to more than one place. By all means, submit to more than one place -- but if you get your piece accepted by one magazine, you should call the others and withdraw your query because magazines don't want the same piece running in competing publications.

I'm just getting started in this business, too, but that's what I've learned from my limited experience, talking to more successful freelancers and reading books. (I highly recommend this one.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page