poetry.com - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone here familiar with poetry.com?
I entered an old poem I wrote when I was trying to do the whole GPT thing. Since then I've recieved two letters by mail. First one stating that my poem would be published in a book and that I was a semi-finalist. The book has over 200 poems in it. What a great way to make $! Get aspiring poets to submit and then publish their work and ask them to buy their own work for only $70! And of course their family will want to purchse their work too so why not buy a full case for $370! The second letter told me my poem was awarded the editor's choice award and then offered me more items to purchase, a spoken workds CD and my poem on a plaque. I think I'll just keep my money and let the poem continue to sit in an old journal stored away.
Anyone else dealt with this website before? Any info on it?

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
#2 of 10 Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, what, they're not paying you or at least giving you a copy of the book?! : How screwy. But congrats on having a great poem!
#3 of 10 Old 11-03-2006, 11:33 AM

Yeah I've dealt with them before too. I submitted a poem I wrote in Highschool and the same thing happened( buy the book, plaque. I did this a few years ago and I still get letters, etc from them. I was even "invited" to join them for a reading of my poem in Orlando, I just had to pay for the dinner, the flight & hotel...

I think it's their standard oporating procedure, like the OP said to make some money. Sounds similiar to vanity publishing, but at least you usually know going into those.

I've ignored the correspondence and it's tapered off, I still get e-mail invited to submit another poem to the latest contest though, I've ignored those too

I haven't been looking for any other publishing methods (too busy), but I'm sure they are out there.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
#4 of 10 Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM

It's a scam. I have so many poems there, and I received the letters...and I sent them a check. I never got the book.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#5 of 10 Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 PM

Oh, yeah - scamarama!

Several years ago, just for fun, we sent in a poem my youngest brother had written when he was 8-years-old. Man, it won all sorts of awards! They wanted him to buy the books, attend the gala, and basically hand them his life savings - which probably amounted to about $8.63.

I wonder if he kept all those letters....

His poem (for anyone interested):

The Mushroom Tree

The mushroom tree is pink.
It's big and has leaves like dollar bills
that anyone could take
if they wanted.
Suddenly, everyone is rich
with one hundred dollar bills
that are always growing on the mushroom tree.
Pink dollar bills.
All the stores start taking pink bills,
making new slots in the register drawers.
The mushroom tree is poisonous.
It talks.
It talks all the time.
"Take my pink hundred dollar bills.
Trim up my chili-bowl hair-cut
and I'll give you 35 HUNDRED.
I'll give you 35 hundred dollars."
The pink tree is happy because he is
as big as the Earth.
He is the Earth.
The Earth is pink hundred dollar bills
fallen from the mushroom tree.

He was probably 12 when we sent it in, and he loved getting all those letters telling him what a fabulous poet he was and begging him to purchase this and that. He knew it was a crock, but he enjoyed it, all the same.
#6 of 10 Old 11-18-2006, 10:44 PM

same goes for picture.com....SCAM!!!!!!!!!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#7 of 10 Old 11-19-2006, 02:30 AM

I agree Scam. You know they make profit off all of other ppl poems - which the ppl who did the poem for 'their work should get a percent of what the profits they sell from the poem in the book they publish if it contains the work of poem. Then plus, why should anyone have to pay for a 'book' that their poem has contained. They are also under the Noble House Publish Co. Too.

Watch out for Famous Poetry Society too. They actually are even doubly worse here is why they send out this brochure thing of getting to have a buffet with a award ceremony get to meet all these speakers . I never had ever filled out anything to get down there but boy did I think about it but after I went to ripoffreport.com I saw the 'stories' of how some group of poetry ppl got scammed to pay an airfare and to have paid for a cost of registration that says was for room & board to look for a ceremony - to end up getting stranded and to have a hotel to say hey nothing was here and we don't have any vacancy open - so those ppl take their 'registration money for hotel & ceremony cost which is like 600$-800$ and they do that 'every single year. So then they are at a time of looking for a place to 'stay' and at a loss of that amount of money. Besides proably not having that much money on them since they proably expected 'free big type of buffet meals' since it advertised in the brochure.
#8 of 10 Old 11-19-2006, 11:08 AM

Definate scam, I agree. I have a boatload of poetry on there (under BelovedK) and got one of those letters. I found it a good place to get feedback, but would never send a check to pay for a book that i'm published in (supposedly) the books aren't cheap either :

Whatever will be, already is...

#9 of 10 Old 11-19-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkypoet View Post
Oh, yeah - scamarama!

Several years ago, just for fun, we sent in a poem my youngest brother had written when he was 8-years-old. Man, it won all sorts of awards! They wanted him to buy the books, attend the gala, and basically hand them his life savings - which probably amounted to about $8.63.

I wonder if he kept all those letters....

His poem (for anyone interested):

The Mushroom Tree

The mushroom tree is pink.
It's big and has leaves like dollar bills
that anyone could take
if they wanted.
Suddenly, everyone is rich
with one hundred dollar bills
that are always growing on the mushroom tree.
Pink dollar bills.
All the stores start taking pink bills,
making new slots in the register drawers.
The mushroom tree is poisonous.
It talks.
It talks all the time.
"Take my pink hundred dollar bills.
Trim up my chili-bowl hair-cut
and I'll give you 35 HUNDRED.
I'll give you 35 hundred dollars."
The pink tree is happy because he is
as big as the Earth.
He is the Earth.
The Earth is pink hundred dollar bills
fallen from the mushroom tree.

He was probably 12 when we sent it in, and he loved getting all those letters telling him what a fabulous poet he was and begging him to purchase this and that. He knew it was a crock, but he enjoyed it, all the same.
: good one!!

Whatever will be, already is...

#10 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 AM

Poetry.com is a huge scam. They don't read or judge the poems. Everyone is a semifinalist. They just want to make money off of you and your poetry by generically glorifying your poem. There are a lot of scam sites out there. Here is a very informative page about a few of the most common poetry scams: http://windpub.com/literary.scams/endall.htm I know how exciting it is to get a letter from them. They had me all excited back when I was about 14 and got a letter from them...but everyone who posts there gets a letter.

On the other hand, the Poetry Society of America has a huge list of resources for poets, including a list of Poetry publishers that you can solicit to publish your poems in chapbooks and literary journals/magazines/newsletters/e-zines or entire book manuscripts. Your best bet is to start with individual/small groups of poems being published in multi-author releases, then work your way up to an entire manuscript.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page