Please Help With Editing/Grammer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-26-2006, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope that this is the most appropriate place to post this. I am writing a term paper on the plight of midwives and I am having a hard time punctuating this direct quote from an interview.

A midwife is describing the rewards of being a midwife:
Quote:
Meeting and interacting with some of the most wonderful people in the world; assisting a new life into the world; getting to hold these beautiful babies; welcoming them; seeing the awe on a mothers face when that baby is first plopped up onto their belly and they’re looking, they’re like oh my god I did have a baby, tears are coursing down their face and they’re so happy and the baby is letting everybody else know how happy they are to be out of the squeeze; seeing a family created; I can still see this one young woman, birth itself was great, baby is up on her and she just bursts out in tears, it was like why what’s wrong what’s wrong and she is like nothing, I just realized we’re a fafafamily (Ellen making sobbing noise to imitate woman) and of course we all burst out in tears and laughter, but it is really that transition from being a couple to a family, but the reward is theirs; new life, new families, new friends and friendships that I hope will last a long time, because most people stay in touch I get pictures, I get phone calls (she received a call from a father from twenty years ago while doing interview) and hopefully I get invited back for their next baby.
TIA!

Mother to two great kids. &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-27-2006, 03:52 AM

This will be tought to do without changing her words, considering she used a lot of run-on sentenances. I would try adding semicolons, periods, and commas where it won't interfere with the flow of the quote. Just try breaking them up a little bit, and using quotation marks wthin the quote.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#3 of 4 Old 11-28-2006, 02:12 PM

Let me see if I can help out ... I worked for a number of years as a translator on gov't projects that required us to prepare court-ready transcripts. For the purposed of your paper, you might insert this quote in the form of a transcript or dialogue (keep in mind that I can't do tabs to make a nice justified quote):

Interviewer: What would you say are the rewards of being a midwife?

Ellen: Meeting and interacting with some of the most wonderful people in the world... Assisting a new life into the world... Getting to hold these beautiful babies, welcoming them... Seeing the awe on a mother's face when that baby is first plopped up onto their belly and they’re looking, they’re like 'oh my god I did have a baby.' Tears are coursing down their face and they’re so happy and the baby is letting everybody else know how happy they are to be out of the squeeze. Seeing a family created; I can still see this one young woman, birth itself was great, baby is up on her and she just bursts out in tears, it was like why what’s wrong what’s wrong and she is like 'nothing, I just realized we’re a fa...fa...family.' [making sobbing noises] And of course we all burst out in tears and laughter. But it is really that transition from being a couple to a family, but the reward is theirs; new life, new families, new friends and friendships that I hope will last a long time, because most people stay in touch I get pictures, I get phone calls... and hopefully I get invited back for their next baby.

Avoid putting your own info into a quote. If you have to, like to indicate that she made sobbing noises, do so with [ ] instead of ( ) (she received a call from a father from twenty years ago while doing interview)

HTH,
Judi
#4 of 4 Old 11-28-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

Mother to two great kids. &

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page