Dh's writing--hopefully starting soon! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So dh wants to be a writer. And I've told him a few times that in order to be a writer you have to write. So finally, he says to me last night "I have no problem writing when I have a purpose, when it's something I've been thinking about, like typing up the plotline for my Shadowrun campaign, but I don't seem to have the 'wealth of ideas' that I read about in authors' interviews and things."

Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact wording of my response, but it was essentially: "So...why don't you make writing something you're going to do so that you're forced to come up with ideas for it. One of the reasons you can come up with ideas for roleplaying games is that you *know* you're going to be running the game and that turns your mind towards thinking of ideas for it. If you make yourself write regularly, you'll find yourself thinking 'hey, I could write about *that* next time'. Even if you just start with 'what the f* am I doing sitting down and writing when I have no ideas?' you'll get momentum."

Only, it was a lot better, and shorter.

Dh's response? "Oh....You're...right. You are absolutely right and I've been wasting my time. I'm going to start by writing the biographies of my COH characters that I've been wanting to do for ages."

Now, get this, he hadn't done that writing before because (are you ready for this?) he thought.there.was.no.point.because.he.wouldn't.be. able.to.publish.the.material Um, how exactly do you write publishable material if you NEVER write?

Anyway, I'm proud of myself.
#2 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Now, get this, he hadn't done that writing before because (are you ready for this?) he thought.there.was.no.point.because.he.wouldn't.be. able.to.publish.the.material Um, how exactly do you write publishable material if you NEVER write?

Good for you for supporting your dh!

I know how he feels because I used to feel that way too. Even though I logically KNEW that was a ridiculous statement, I still felt it. It didn't help that whenever I told my mom I wanted to be a writer her answer was "well, don't expect anything to ever come of it." So, after internalizing that for years, I finally got over it, mostly. I used to even feel guilty whenever I did sit down to write because I had been told that I wasn't a writer so much that I felt like I had to sneak around to write. I'm sure that makes no sense at all - lol.

So, anyway, years later, I have gotten over it. My dh is very supportive and I have realized that I feel better emotionally if I write. And, I have decided that I AM a writer, if I write. I don't have to be recognized by anyone else or get paid for it - though that would still be nice. But, I am a writer, just the same.
#3 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Good for you for supporting your dh!

I know how he feels because I used to feel that way too. Even though I logically KNEW that was a ridiculous statement, I still felt it. It didn't help that whenever I told my mom I wanted to be a writer her answer was "well, don't expect anything to ever come of it." So, after internalizing that for years, I finally got over it, mostly.

... But, I am a writer, just the same.
Yay you!

(Oh, sidenote, dh literally won't be able to publish the bios he's going to start with--they involve a lot of copyrighted material. At most, he'd be able to post them as fanfic. It wasn't a case of "it won't be good enough" it's a case of "it won't be legal".)
#4 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Red

A suggestion? why not get him a book on writing....Writing the Natural Way, by Rico, or Writing Down the Bones? A big notebook, some nice pens, maybe clear him a quiet spot?

Makes a good gift!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page