What education do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I'm new here so forgive me if this has been covered before. I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

As a child and teenager I used to like to write and was told I was quite good. After I graduated from high school (and my teenage angst days were over) I kind of drifted away from it. I still journaled a bit up until when my first son was born but since then, it has been a very long dry spell. I'm thinking of getting back to writing, especially journaling to help me deal with my emotions regarding mothering and my life in general.

As an offshoot to this, I was considering doing some writing that I could earn money at. We need extra income but I have a newborn so I need something I can do at home.

So, here is where my question lies. For those of you who write for a living, how much education do you have? Do you have English degrees? I think I have always been unsure of my writing despite what others have told me because I am unsure of my technical skills. I haven't had a whole lot of education in grammar because I was in a gifted class in high school and they skipped over grammar because they felt we already knew it. I've always felt uncomfortable with grammar rules as a result.

I'm also uncomfortable with writing because I've only ever taken one literature course. I feel like I don't truly "get" a lot of stuff because I don't have a good grounding in the Classics. I also have other issues related to undiagnosed ADD and self-esteem.

I've been reading some blogs lately and I just feel like there is so much that I don't know. I'm sure I could write a Harlequin novel but that is not quite the level of writing I was thinking of (apologies to anyone to writes them - maybe you could set me straight and tell me of the pots of cash I could be making!)

So, anyway, is there anyone out there who is "uneducated" and making money at writing? Should I start "educating" myself?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm wicked sleep deprived at the moment.
#2 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Duh

Just noticed Kangaroo mom's thread which basically asks the same thing. Sorry.
#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 AM

For starters, your grammar on that post was pretty good - better than a lot of posts I've seen out there!

I'm a SAHM and trying to write my first novel, so I'm finding it difficult just finding the time to write (which I should be doing right now, actually).

For education - I've got a degree in Russian. I thought about getting one in English, but ... I didn't. I don't think I'll ever go get my Masters in anything.
#4 of 5 Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM

First thing you can journal about is why you feel uncomfortable writing and/or being paid for it. When you have those fears resolved, or at least have a good hold on them and are working them out, start submitting your writing. I'm a professional writer and poet, but I never finished college. Publishers and editors don't really care, unless it's academic writing, but even then, they'll often let slide the fact that you have no degree or resume, if you prove you can do the job.

If you're worried about grammar, check out or buy the book Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White. I'm not sure which edition they're up to now, but it's usually easy to find.

When you feel comfortable writing and submitting, or perhaps when you just decide to do it despite your discomfort, find magazines and e-zines for your submissions. You can sign up for writersmarket.com and search markets online. Freelance writing is a good way for moms to make money. Keep in mind, though, that magazines, whether print or online, often don't pay for months on end. That's definitely one of the drawbacks to freelance writing. But know that you don't need any specific education to do it. Just know what you're interested in, craft a well-thought-out, well-organized article, submit it, and see what happens. You have as much chance of being published as the next Rowling if you put your mind to it!
#5 of 5 Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Folks -nak - so I'll be quick

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I forgot about this post after a few days (I have a toddler and a newborn and wicked baby brain!)

It's reassuring to know that there are successful writers out there without any formal training.

I think I will start with some journalling and see where it goes from there. My dream is to write a novel (well, a book really - I could do non-fiction also).

Mrskennedy - thanks for the tip on the grammar book and the freelance writing. We aren't in a desperate money crunch so I could wait to get paid. We are surviving but it would be nice to have a bit of a safety net.

ambotchka - wow - a degree in Russian - my hat's off to you - that's a challenge (I'm half Russian). No wonder you didn't go back for another degree.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page