writing an essay. send help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: i am writing a for real critical essay to be published in a for real journal. it is really unnerving as this journal has published people i usually QUOTE in my school essays. i am so intimidated by this that i have written two sentecnes in as many hours. can anyone send me some +++++++ vibes that this block unlocks and i start writing like a crazed unstoppable maniac soon? i gotta get this thing done!!!!!!

and if anyon wants to wait on me hand and foot while i am writing, and watch ds when he gets home from school. that would be great too :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:09 PM

I love your title.

Go take a walk and come back to it!
#3 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:24 PM

What's the topic?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

a phenomenological reading of bpNichol, a canadian poet.

:
#5 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirringleaf View Post

:
#6 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
No fricking wonder you're blocked!

I agree with PortraitPixie. Get out of there. Ride a bike, take a walk. Let your subconscious work while your conscious mind rests.
#7 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:

:
Blimey!

Sending you brilliant vibes , many cups of tea and a fabulously handsome butler...

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#8 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup View Post
No fricking wonder you're blocked!

I agree with PortraitPixie. Get out of there. Ride a bike, take a walk. Let your subconscious work while your conscious mind rests.
its just that i have been taking a bit too many breaks and its just time to buckle down.

having said that, i think i will take a nap. one hour till ds gets home. then i will play with him ( havent seen him since saturday, he was at his dads) and most likely put a movie on for him.

and i do have something of a hot butler, only he is a hot 22yo texan complete with cowboy boots that is not going to come over today...but he did come over yesterday....

:

and because he is a bonafide genius, he did help me with my essay, as well.

:
#9 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Okay pick some aspect of his writing, some theme that he uses a lot (water, nature, the weather), and talk about how that aspect is a character of the poems that is as real or even more real than the people in the poems.

Second idea-- how does he portray women and what does this say about what he thinks of them, or about women who have been in his life. Do a little digging into his bio and see what role his mother/sister/wife played in the development of his creative side. (if women are not mentioned insert men, children, etc)

I've never read him but this is how I surived being an English major.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

USAMMA

those are great suggestions only this is going in a literary journal, not to a teacher... i am FREAKING OUT> i have a topic---its about teh sacred in art basically , and about perception. and i just have to use some of his poems as examples. its kind of ok but i got really intimidated when i started thinking about who else has been published in this journal. which is dumb because i went and read a bunch of criticism by some of the people and some of it is really amazing but alot of it is pretty average writing. but i am literally having heart palpitations.

i jut keep thinking how unoriginal my ideas are, and what a nobody i am , and why the heck anyone would be compelled to read my essay anyways. :
#11 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 PM

stirringleaf, go read one (or more) of your favorite poets by this guy out loud. Still your mind. As you read, invite the sacred imagery into you. You can do this! All those people had to start somewhere -- they're not better than you.
good luck!
-Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#12 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 AM

Start in the middle. Start anywhere. Just know that you do not have to write this in a linear fashion. (You should be writing your intro last anyway, when you finally know what you are talking about.)

Write whatever, and eventually you will start to make sense. Then go back and cut out all the extraneous stuff.

I always write everything at least twice as long as it needs to be (as anyone who has read some of my posts here can attest to), and often more. I always write 3,4, even 5 drafts. The first draft is NOT the final version--so hey, it doesn't matter what you say.

If you are writing about the sacred it's not gonna come out if you force it anyway, so just relax and let whatever comes, come. Send your 'editor' away for the time being. You can let her come back later.
#13 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Positive-get-work-done-vibes for you! I'd be freaking out too, but yet it is really exciting! You're going to be published!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page