Writing a childrens book on pregnancy/birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been inspired to write a book for children 3+ on pregnancy and birth. I would like this to be a Christian book (making mention that children are blessings from the Lord, knit together in our womb, etc.) but not overly so. The book would be centered on midwife care and homebirths.

I'm considing a book on pregnancy, discussing fetal development in child-friendly terms, the changes moms body goes through, how mom might act/feel, how exciting it is to hear the heartbeat, feel the baby move, etc. And then another book on labor, birth and postpartum.

I'm not looking to publish but rather turn it into a free ebook or two that other moms can use with their children.

Would it be better to have drawings, or actual (modest, of course) photos?

Has anyone written a childrens book and if so can you suggest pointers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a mom looking for just such a book -- i owuld suggest a mix of drawing and photos.

DS LOOOOOVES photos of babies.......loooooove them. and I THINK / FEEL they are more REAL for him as to what he will be getting.

however -- when it comes to -- placement of the womb in the mom, or the grownth of the baby in teh womb -- then i feel drawing can be more clear -- as you can use as much or as little detail (and it doesn't have to be so realistic -- KWIM?) so it is better at "showing" what you mean.

so maybe a few -- 1 or 2 or 3 -- of the momma belly getting bigger ----- and lots of newborns...jsut born...cleaned up but still NEW...and so on.......

then drawing for all the 'techinal" stuff?????

Just a thought

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it is for the 3 + crowd it might be nice to have a combination -- but maybe make the drawings resemble the people in the pictures?
#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you - I am trying to do that! :-) I'mnot much of an artist, so I am doing my best.... :-)

I will post the book when it's done and if you want to critique it by all means! This will be a free ebook on my site for anyone to download, so I'd like for it to be nice but I'm not going to put money into it with hiring artists or an editor or anything.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page