Taking a fiction class - story help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2007, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's a home study thing. I have had a couple of stories banging around in my head for a few years and this gives me the excuse to get them out, but I need three. There are no limits on what the stories can be about. These are the stories I have so far:

Quote:
-A fifteen-year-old girl who self-injures and has been in and out of institutions for two years. She's institutionalized after a suicide attempt and is in therapy. She's finally making progress when tragedy hits (haven't decided what the tragedy is yet). She decides to kill herself for real. The story ends as she closes her eyes for the last time. (Morbid, I know, but it really struck home with me after my abusive childhood with a bipolar mom)

-(Inspired by the movie Legend) A young woman runs away from a bad arranged marriage and finds herself in a land under an enchantment. She is captured by the army of the Dark Queen and brought before the Queen, who finds herself enraptured with the girl. The Queen keeps the girl as her captive and introduces her to the kingdom, hinting that she could rule at the Queen's side. She slowly becomes seduced by the power offered to her and decides to accept the queen's offer.
These stories seem kind of silly to me, but they won't go away! They keep resurfacing in my mind and I have never been able to get them out. Now that I "have" to, maybe I'll be able to.

Critiques? Suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry...thought I had posted this already.

I like the latter one, but only because I'm a big fan of fantasies featuring female protagonists : (only with ponytails!). (Also, Legend is the only movie besides Far and Away in which I can tolerate Tom Cruise.) Will cool chick remain on the dark side, or will she have a change of heart?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the first one has been done a lot, and unless you can come up with some sort of crazy spin to it, it might seem a little stale.

When I am having a hard time deciding what fiction to write, I try to figure out for which of the stories I have a most complete story arc. If I have an inciting incident which sets off the central conflict which is brought to a head in the climax and resolved a few pages later, then I go with that one. Otherwise, I let the idea percolate for a while.

Hope this helps!!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmommy View Post
Sorry...thought I had posted this already.

I like the latter one, but only because I'm a big fan of fantasies featuring female protagonists : (only with ponytails!). (Also, Legend is the only movie besides Far and Away in which I can tolerate Tom Cruise.) Will cool chick remain on the dark side, or will she have a change of heart?
She will definitely remain on the dark side. I've always wanted to see a movie or read a book where the protagonist is seduced by the dark side and actually stays there. Is it bad that I think Darkness is totally sexy? : It's that voice!

Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but the first one has been done a lot, and unless you can come up with some sort of crazy spin to it, it might seem a little stale.
I didn't realize this was a really common theme. I know there's a lot of angsty-teen stuff out there, but is there really a lot dealing with self-injury? My whole spin on the thing was the tragic ending. Most teen stories end with the kid feeling better, learning, growing, etc. This one will end with the girl losing the battle.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With the whole "cutting" craze that started a few years ago, there's a lot of stuff out there. Most end happily, I suppose. Or maybe hopefully...So if you ended it with her killing herself, that might be a good twist. Or. You know, an effective literary element.

Nope, I thought he was sexy, too. Tim Curry in real life: not so sexy. Tim Curry as a Force of Ultimate Evil: Slurp.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Of course, you could have a fantasy story with a girl who cuts herself. See Virtual Mode by Piers Anthony.

Seriously, both sound promising. You might want to do some research on self-injury, though. The typical profile of a "cutter" tends not to be suicidal. I read a book my mom had purchased when one of her foster girls had this issue.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

User Tag List