Looking for an illustrator - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-05-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 books written, and I have an agent I can send the books to (my sister has published a book and meets with her agent regularly. She has offered to pass it on to her).

I have an illustrator I am working with for one book but need one for the second book. I would prefer to use a different one. Anyone know how to search for illustrators? Anyone here have a desire to illustrate a children's book? The story is whimsical and silly, if that helps!
#2 of 14 Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Hey, gridley13! I can't help you with finding an illustrator, but I will tell you that from all of the research I've done, I gather that publishers prefer that authors not send illustrated manuscripts UNLESS they are illustrated by the author. The publishing houses have their own illustrators.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with The Purple Crayon, but it has a lot of neat tips about writing for children. Here's a link to the tip page specifically:

http://www.underdown.org/writing-childrens-books.htm

HTH!!
#3 of 14 Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you looking for hand done illustrations or CGI (computer graphic interfaced or computer generated) illustrations?
#4 of 14 Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I would really be open to either. I was thinking hand done, but am open.
#5 of 14 Old 06-05-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmommy View Post
Hey, gridley13! I can't help you with finding an illustrator, but I will tell you that from all of the research I've done, I gather that publishers prefer that authors not send illustrated manuscripts UNLESS they are illustrated by the author. The publishing houses have their own illustrators.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with The Purple Crayon, but it has a lot of neat tips about writing for children. Here's a link to the tip page specifically:

http://www.underdown.org/writing-childrens-books.htm

HTH!!
:

Another good resource is the message board at www.write4kids.com
#6 of 14 Old 06-08-2007, 06:54 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#7 of 14 Old 06-08-2007, 02:24 PM

you should post a lil bit of what your looking for....explaine the main character or something and let people send you their illistrations
#8 of 14 Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 PM

My favorite artist is May Ann Licudine. Check out her work. There is something about it that just speaks the spirit of my children.

http://www.mayannlicudine.com/mall_index.html
#9 of 14 Old 06-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Can you PM my DH "pixiesdaddy" with part of the story or a description of a character? He draws some really cute things for my DD and I've been encouraging him to write his own children's book actually. I bet he could come up with something really cute for you

Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#10 of 14 Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

The main charachter is a chick. Not a girl, a baby chicken. The story is whimsical.

Part of my problem is my lack of knowledge on the etiquette of how this works. To be honest, I am not looking to pay someone to illustrate it. What I was thinking is I have the story written, someone illustrates it (or partially illustrates it just for submission.. this is what the agent I will be sending it to suggested), then if it is accepted, we both get paid. Somehow. Again, I don't know how it usually works. I am totally open to pm's to talk more and look at examples!
#11 of 14 Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesue2 View Post
My favorite artist is May Ann Licudine. Check out her work. There is something about it that just speaks the spirit of my children.

http://www.mayannlicudine.com/mall_index.html
absolutely beautiful.
#12 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM

Honestly, I can't imagine a professional illustrator who would be willing to do work without being paid. It seems (and I'm not trying to be ugly here) sort of unprofessional to ask somebody to do that. And again, once you sell your story, the publishing house will hire an illustrator of their own. So your illustrator will get squat for his or her work. That doesn't seem right, kwim?

Do you think the agent might be asking you to do a sort of "mock-up" of illustrations? Sort of like stick figures of what you imagine will be going on? I have heard of that before...

Also, sophiesue2, thanks for that link. I want...everything she paints. Ever.
#13 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmommy View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine a professional illustrator who would be willing to do work without being paid. It seems (and I'm not trying to be ugly here) sort of unprofessional to ask somebody to do that. And again, once you sell your story, the publishing house will hire an illustrator of their own. So your illustrator will get squat for his or her work. That doesn't seem right, kwim?
I do know what you mean, and I assure you, I never intended for an illustrator to not get paid at all. I just didn't really know how it worked. It does make sense now. I guess I sort of thought of it like... if we are both new at this (meaning the illustrator and myself) then why would one pay the other? We are both submitting our work hoping it might be accepted. I assume when a book is published and sold, both illustrator and author get paid royalties equally? Again, I might be totally off base on that.

Incidentally, I have decided to just go ahead and send the stories sans illustrations to the agent. If she rejects I will just start sending to publishers. Thank you all for your help~ I have learned a lot!
#14 of 14 Old 07-06-2007, 02:43 AM

To chime in here the reason publishers would rather have the story with out an illustrator attached and tied into the project is becuase soooo much of the marketing of a children's book is based on the illustrations. No reputable agent is going to request illustrations fyi.

Another thing to think about on a personal note: "What if you do find an illustrtor that would work on spec and a publisher wanted your story but not the illustrations... you would already have some sort of contract so the publisher would end up having to by out the illustrator which might make them shy from purchasing the book."

Good luck with your submission.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page