Writing a Children's Book - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that this is probably the dream of every mother, but I feel like I have a pretty solid concept. Can anyone point me in the right direction toward getting published? I've looked around online, but I don't want to get sucked into some scam and follow the guidance of somebody preying on the dreams of SAHMs.

TIA!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#2 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
I know that this is probably the dream of every mother, but I feel like I have a pretty solid concept. Can anyone point me in the right direction toward getting published? I've looked around online, but I don't want to get sucked into some scam and follow the guidance of somebody preying on the dreams of SAHMs.

TIA!
no idea about the details, but never ever pay anyone. a true agent or publisher won't ask for money. hope others have more helpful responses!

oh, i also think that you need to have it written before contacting agents / publishers, having a concept is not enough.

good luck!
#3 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 AM

To publish with one of the major publishing houses, you will probably need an agent (few read unagented submissions any longer).

The Children's Book Council has information for prospective authors. (See "Getting Your Book Published")
#4 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 AM

One thing you can do to just get your book into print and get it out there (and sell it too, of course) is to check out one of the free online publishers. I know of two: Lulu.com and publishamerica.com. I hear great things about Lulu, but don't knw anyone who's used PA... they both look like great sites. Check the rules on the sites, but I believe that you can still have your book published with another publisher at a later time.
#5 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
To publish with one of the major publishing houses, you will probably need an agent (few read unagented submissions any longer).
My research suggests this isn't true. If you get the Children's Writers and Illustrators Market guide (the Bible for the field), it will go through every single publishing house, tell you which ones accept unsolicited submissions (there are quite a few--I made a spreadsheet of all the houses and at least half took unsolicited manuscripts), which ones accept multiple submissions (submissions to more than one press at the same time), how much of what the press publishes is agented, how to research the types of books they're looking for, etc. The book is invaluable, and very thorough--it will give you pretty much all the info you need. Very few, if any, agents will take on an unpublished children's author--it's virtually impossible (and not necessary) to get representation for a first book in this field.

If you are serious about being a writer, I would absolutely NOT suggest self-publishing (or vanity publishing, as it's known in the industry). If you just want some copies of your book for friends and family, go ahead--but self-publishing is the kiss of death in the industry, and few publishers will consider an author who has self-published.

Harold Underdown's Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books is also surprisingly good--and he has a website as well.

Above all, DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Info in this thread, too: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=594183
#6 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the advice!

Off I go to dive into research.........

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#7 of 11 Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbean View Post
One thing you can do to just get your book into print and get it out there (and sell it too, of course) is to check out one of the free online publishers. I know of two: Lulu.com and publishamerica.com.
well, they are not "free", aren't they?

i agree with nycveg:
Quote:
If you are serious about being a writer, I would absolutely NOT suggest self-publishing (or vanity publishing, as it's known in the industry). If you just want some copies of your book for friends and family, go ahead--but self-publishing is the kiss of death in the industry, and few publishers will consider an author who has self-published.
#8 of 11 Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 AM

I just left a career at Random House, in children's books sales. I'm not actually all that down on self-publishing. There have been some success stories, but it really depends on the quality of what you have written, and what you do to promote and sell it afterward. I guess anyone can pay to get their book published, so it really doesn't signify unless the book is then successful. I'm not sure why poeople think it is the kiss of death, though, but would love to hear other perspectives. I can't recommend lulu or publishamerica though--I have heard horror stories on their rights agreements.

These women self-published a picturebook and did very well with, going on to acquire an agent and a major publisher, and a lot of $$!

Sold to Lyron Bennett and Dominique Raccah at
Sourcebooks/Jabberwocky:

Laura Duksta and illustrator Karen Keesler's
179,000-copy self-published picture book I Love
You More in a pre-emptive significant deal, to
be a featured title at Bologna and fast-tracked
for publication in fall 2007 (World).

I would recommend joining the Society of Children's Book Writer's and Illustrators, they are also a good source of information, and their membership packet and website will give you a lot of good info.

As far as getting published now, have you actually written the book? If so, any of the books and societies mentioned above will have helpful information on writing a query letter to agents/editors. I am of the opinion that you do need an agent, especially if you want to be published by one of the larger publishing houses. I would advise reading a lot of books in the genre that you are writing, and seeing who publishes them. Check out the authors and see if they have blogs, and if they mention their agents on their blogs--that might give you an idea on who to submit.

Also, if you join CBC or SCBWI they hold regional conferences that editors often attend and hold workshops. That's a great place to make a connection and get your work in front of someone.

Lastly, if you are writing a picturebook, Harpercollins is holding a contest right now, celebrating GOOD NIGHT MOON's anniversary. The site is www.bedtimeclassics.com and the contest is open til 7/15.

Good luck!
#9 of 11 Old 06-23-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
My research suggests this isn't true. If you get the Children's Writers and Illustrators Market guide (the Bible for the field), it will go through every single publishing house, tell you which ones accept unsolicited submissions (there are quite a few--I made a spreadsheet of all the houses and at least half took unsolicited manuscripts), which ones accept multiple submissions (submissions to more than one press at the same time), how much of what the press publishes is agented, how to research the types of books they're looking for, etc.
I was a children's book editor at a major publishing house for many years, so that is where my perspective comes from. Most companies were closing their doors to un-agented or un-referred submissions.

I'd be interested to know which large houses are still reading mss. that come in over the transom. When I left the field, very few were. Smaller houses would be more likely to be open to unsolicited/unagented mss.

The Market guide is useful--but the info may be outdated (for example, where I worked, we didn't always reply to the Marketplace questionnaires). I think the CBC is a better source of info--or at least it was a few years back.
#10 of 11 Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#11 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 PM

Milo... I have a cute little book written too.... I just want like 10 copis, like printed hardback, soooooooo bad... ty for posting mama...

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page