Artist's Way Support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi.

I have had the Julia Cameron's Artist's Way book for over three years and have at least made an attempt to complete the 12 week workshop every year...to no avail.

Would someone like to do the 12 week workshop with me? It may be sad that I need such assistance on writing, but I do. All that would be required is that you would have access to the book, we could meet daily or weekly (in the forum or via email) and summarise our experience or share and confirm that we completed the artist's date.

Let me know your thoughts and I hope I find a taker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 PM

Hi - I recently ordered the book and would be happy to share random thoughts/impressions, but I am not able to commit to a regular check in. With twin toddlers underfoot, I can't commit to much these days!

Sorry - not really what you are looking for (and I don't even have the book yet!)

ETA: I have seen a writer thread in Finding Your Tribe (not sure why it is there and not here...) but you might find more takers on that thread? Just a thought...
#3 of 12 Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 PM

I would love to do this again! I did it about 6 years ago. and I still do morning pages! I no longer have a copy of the book though. will see if I can find a cheap copy on the TP or amazon!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 12 Old 07-21-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hi.

I must be worse than I thought at this, as I thought I posted last night but it is not here for some reason.

A quick recap is that I am flexible, we can start when everyone gets a book or, what if, I scan in the exercises and email?

We just state how we want to conduct the workshop for ourselves and the others in the group show support. So if for instance, I say I will check in weekly and there is no post for the week, a gentle, constructive reminder from you all to say have how was this week? (Perhaps).

Honestly, I am flexible, have a think and just let me know.
#5 of 12 Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 AM

I'd love to! I have the books, and just last night committed to doing the morning pages again. I had stopped, but they really do help.

I've had the book forever and done it a couple of times and it always helps me get flowing...
#6 of 12 Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM

I have the book now. I planned to start morning pages this week, but, ummm..., didn't. I have company the rest of the week, so my new plan is to start morning pages next week. (Monday). I hope to do some of the exercises throughout the week. My biggest problem will be the artist's date. I don't really see that happening. (unless grocery shopping counts ). How is everyone else doing?
#7 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 AM

I did pages yesterday, but not today. I just forgot! Will jump back in tomorrow.
#8 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well it was 3.30am when I got the idea. I started my 28th week this week. So in theory, I have 12 weeks before we greet this lovely little person to this existence. So I committed to morning pages. I will fit them in and sit down and write them when the urge/idea/notion strikes, as I am learning that that is what works best for me.

So I started this morning, uncomfortable enough that I am unable to sleep, so taking a baby step. I have actually written. First attempt at the craft since I found out I was pregnant.

Thank you ladies. I look forward to your sharing and support along the way.
#9 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

CHECK IN: (Not to worry--this is only if you are interested)

Oh and I am very new at this (forums, etc) if there is a better way of doing this please let me know. Should this be a sticky? or something?
  1. How many days this week did you do your morning pages? How was it?
  2. Did you do your artist date this week? What did you do? How did it feel?
  3. Were there any other issues this week that you consider significant for your recovery? Describe them.

See you when I do. Enjoy!
#10 of 12 Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just checkin' in.

1. How many days this week did you do your morning pages? How was it?
2. Did you do your artist date this week? What did you do? How did it feel?
3. Were there any other issues this week that you consider significant for your recovery? Describe them.
  1. Actually wrote morning pages for the 12 days I have been doing it but sometimes wrote two days in one day. It was pretty tough at times and I was amazed at how much I tried to sabotage or distract myself. I was glad to see that I actually get the urge to write a lot more than I actually do.
  2. Yes, I had an artist date this week. I went out into the back paddock and drew the paddock and hill. It felt good.
  3. Just noticing that I had the strong urge to write quite frequently and how much I blocked or squashed it and finally, just learning to be open as to why that might be.
#11 of 12 Old 08-05-2007, 09:13 PM

Hey - I have been trying to do my morning pages (5 out of 7 days so far), but I am having a hard time doing much with the rest of it. I do enjoy the morning pages (after I get over thinking I am not doing them "right" ) But I am going to keep up with the pages. I think it is helping me get started.

ETA: Okay, I give up I just can't get into this book at all. I am doing the morning pages, but I don't really like her style. So I am quitting - I wish the rest of you luck!

If anyone else is not really liking this book, I wanted to share one that I just found that I think is more what I am looking for - Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande. It was published in the 30's, but it is amazing. It has some similarities to The Artist's Way, but it is much more my style. She also has you do morning pages, but they are slightly different. I read through it quickly last night, and plan to start the exercises today. Good luck to all of you!
#12 of 12 Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

Bit of a bummer that one of us has moved on, but to each her own. All the best fivi and if you like you could still do your book and keep us posted on how that is progressing.

Another book that I loved was, Writing Down the Bones by Natalie???? Can't remember her name but the book was great.

Well, I have done one artist date, with another planned. I have written morning pages for 19 days and have gotten through some of the tasks. Mind as well be productive if you are up a 3am and unable to sleep. I never thought it would be pregnancy that would help me get through this workshop.

Would love to hear how the rest of you are doing? All the best.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page