How do you write? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wondered how you write. I mean do you type it directly into the computer or use notebooks or work it all out in your head first and then type it out really quickly?

I prefer to write on the computer as I can access lots of different information sources quickly. However, recently I have started writing in cheap notebooks as it is easier to combine writing that way with two small children. If someone scribles a bit on a page, it is less distructive than if they pound on the keyboard or 'pet' the mouse.

Mama to DS1 and DS2
#2 of 7 Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 AM

I write infrequently.

I have a really hard time writing on paper. I always feel as though if I make a mistake, I'm wasting that paper. I can't stand to look at scribbles where I've scratched out things that I want to change, so I want to throw away the whole page, but then I'm wasting that sheet of paper. So I prefer to write on the computer, where no innocent trees get hurt.
#3 of 7 Old 07-15-2007, 05:09 PM

I write on the computer too. Sometimes when posting, I'll write in my e-mail because its safer since I've lost my hard earned writing on the board before. Thats only when I know I'm going to be spending more time on a particular post. I don't what to risk it. Although, I have to admit, I've lost the art for phonetic spelling. I've been much too reliant on the spell check feature.
#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2007, 11:06 PM

I mostly write on the computer. I find that I speak much better with my fingers and can go much faster on my computer than in a notebook. Besides, I can rearrange and alter it much quicker. I just love the drag and drop feature!

I do jot notes down in my bedside notebook, and sometimes even a paragraph or two, but if I am on a roll, I just write on my computer. I find that my story flows and creates itself when I can do it fast.

It is kind of like reading. If you slow down and sound out each word, you may end up not being able to follow the story because you are focusing on the single units within it. But if you read quickly, even if you mispronounce a word or read it wrong, the story becomes clear.

So I begin by my 'quick reading' type writing and then follow up with my 'slow reading' type rereading to check for errors.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 7 Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Longhand. I can write on the computer, but the inspiration just doesn't come as quickly or the same way. Usually I write in longhand first, then type it up and tweak it until it's right, adding extra stuff/scenes/etc as I type. It takes extra time, but I need that...oh, that "flash" (as Emily of New Moon would say (lm montgomery)).

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM

I write on the computer, and I start stream-of-consciousness, and then edit later. I have a nifty little program on my Mac that childproofs it, so that if my kids touch my computer when I walk away, it plays a cool ABC game instead of messing up my documents.
#7 of 7 Old 07-20-2007, 10:51 AM

I started out doing longhand, then moved to a word processor and then desktop when I got married. I now have a laptop, which is honestly the best of both worlds for me, because I can get it out quickly if I'm inspired and curl up on the couch and write for hours if I get into the groove. I have an F drive that I save my stuff onto and I try to print it out when I get a good chunk going.

I have used outlines and lists in the past and will probably do so in the future. With my current project though, I'm trying to live in the story more, so I'm finding myself jumping between chapters and taking notes in separate files. It's definitely a new way for me to write.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page