How do you go about making time to write? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering, with being a busy, sahm with a newborn, how do others here go about making time to write?

If you're working on a project, how do you pace yourself and make sure it doesn't take 5 years to do a work that perhaps shouldn't take but maybe one year. Or worse yet, how do you make time so that you can make sure you actually complete a project you've already began?

Thanks...
#2 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM

I really have to make a schedule for house responsibilities and wriiting work. I find that if I make writing a "work issue", it helps me out a lot. If you'd like more specifics, let me know.

I also make sure to have some "fun writiing" time, when I don't have any imposed deadlines or word counts that must be met.
#3 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 PM

I write when Corbin is sleeping or playing quietly by himself (and then I have to clean up the mess usually). As for housework, I just maintain a balance. I put writing high on my list of priorities and do the housework that -really- needs to be done, then write, then do the housework that's less of a priority. Some times I just have to let the house be messy and write.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#4 of 7 Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM

This is one of the things I'm struggling with. I technically have TIME to write, but I lack the motivation. There are always other things I could be doing. But I need to just set aside a certain amount of time each day for "work" so I can get some things written and make a little bit of money.
#5 of 7 Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 PM

When my kids are doing their homeschooling stuff that doesn't involve me, I write.

When my kids are asleep and I'm not, I write.

Other than that, I don't write. LOL I need to get off MDC and write right now...

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#6 of 7 Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM

I write and work when my kids are sleeping. Otherwise, I don't have the patience or concentration to make sure the kids aren't into something AND keep my thoughts in order.

I do, however, jot notes down in a notebook through the day about certain changes or ideas I'd like to include in whatever project I'm working on.

Once I start a new book and have a solid idea, I take an evening or two to write a plan out - topics I want to include, length/format of th eboook I'm expecting, factor in how much time it should take to write, proof, edit, finalize, determine what supplies I may need, how long it will take to obtain them then I chop everything up into managable peices and try to keep on top of things.

I run a business along with writing, so I have to try and balance leftover housework with business and writing. I generally am not in bed before midnight every night (kids get ready for bed at 7, and are usually asleep around 7:30. I sit in the bedroom with them until they're asleep and usually read or bring a notebook in to write ideas down that I have flowing through my head).

We are expecting our third any time now, so I'm quite certain this whole idea of work when they sleep will go out the window for a while because my newborns never sleep at night (lol) but that's why I'm trying to finish projects so I have nothing pressing me when the baby is born. But eventaully I'm sure I'll get back into this cycle.
#7 of 7 Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 PM

I'm still trying to get this worked out, as well. Zoe is at a very demanding stage, and constantly wants to be in my lap, pushing buttons. So for now, I'm trying to write after bedtime or early in the morning before she wakes up. This week, I've been struggling with motivation, as she's teething and after a full day with her I'm exhausted!

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page