I wrote a children's book...now what? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have written a children's book with my sister (well, I wrote, she illustrated) and am interested in getting it published. However, even with a book in hand, I find the process daunting, even though I know the book is exceptional and should be in print! (Tooting my own horn...we all should, right?)

Has anyone had a book published or gone through the submissions process? A children's book, in particular?

Would love any help you can offer...thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am researching this right now.

There are a couple of lists you should look up. First you have to decide what publishing companies are right for your book. This list will help you. You have to see if they accept unsolicited manuscripts or not. There are a lot of decisions to make! I feel a bit overwhelmed as well but I am going to go ahead with it. Right now I am trying to decide whether to self publish or send to a publisher. Good luck with everything!!!
#3 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM

Get the Writer's Market for Children's Literature Guide, most recent edition. Find all the publishing companies that accept unsolicited children's manuscripts, THEN go to each company's website to see if your idea fits with their list. Is your sister a professional illustrator? Most publishing companies will NOT accept mss with illustrations included--they match the story to the illustrator. You should do some research on this (look at Harold Underdown's (sp?) site--he wrote The Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books...though I may have the title wrong).

ETA: If you just finished, I would not submit this immediately. I would take it to writers' groups for critiques (NOT friends and family), sit on it for a few months and percolate, consider revisions, etc.
#4 of 6 Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
Is your sister a professional illustrator? Most publishing companies will NOT accept mss with illustrations included--they match the story to the illustrator.

If you just finished, I would not submit this immediately. I would take it to writers' groups for critiques (NOT friends and family), sit on it for a few months and percolate, consider revisions, etc.
My sister is not a published illustrator. However, I know that this is something we have always wanted to do together (since we were kids and I loved to write and she loved to draw). We will opt to self publish before I would accept another illustrator, so that makes that pretty easy.

LOL about the just finished...I actually finished the book 3 years ago! However, I was feeling sort of "I could never have a book published" for awhile, and then it has taken my sister awhile to work on illustrations. I haven't taken it to writing groups, but have had it edited/looked at by librarians in elem. schools that I have worked at.
#5 of 6 Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 PM

You may end up self-pubbing it then. The general rule for children's books is not to have illustrations in hand (unless you did them as well). I've heard, though I have no personal experience with it, that you actually can make money with a self-pubbed children's book because the profit margin is so slim in traditional publishing for children's books. Really, a lot of children's books are $5-6, so that's only around $.50-$.60 per book that the author is getting!

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 AM

You might want to join the local chapter of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators: http://www.scbwi.org/

They have a lot of good information on their website and they also hold conferences where you can learn quite a bit about the business.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page