Question about publishing or self-publishing and marketing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question for anyone who has actually finished a book and had it published either by a publisher or self-publishing.

I am almost finished a book. It is a book for both parents and daycare providers about the daycare industry and what to look for, red flags, rules, regulations, etc etc so that everyone knows both sides of the industry. ANyway, my explanation might not be so grand!

My question is this....how do you go about the publishing side of things? How do you find a publisher? If you self-publish how do/who do you market to?

I guess my fear is that I put all this time in this book and it might just sit here on my hard drive forever.

Anyone have any insight?

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#2 of 4 Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 PM

That's great. I'm not a writer, but I've worked in book publishing in the US for the past fifteen years. Your info looks like you are in Canada, and I'm not sure how things differ in CA as opposed to the US.

Here in the US, an agent is usually the first step. There are books like the Writers Market that are really helpful in formulating a plan, to either find an agent or a publisher. The company that publishes this book, WRITERS DIGEST has a lot of great resources.

http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Market...d_i=1582970165

If you self publish, I think the best way to market is to go right to your source--in your case, day care providers or working parents via speaking engagements or targeted advertising/publicity.
#3 of 4 Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the book recommendation! I wrote a book and it has been sitting there for 2 1/2 years. This month I finally got the courage to submit 3 short portions to a magazine and they are publishing 2 "articles"- one this Fall and the other next summer. This has given me the confidence I need to get this thing published as a book. Plus I have a novel that has been floating around in my head since I finished writing the other book. I must get moving!

I just never considered myself a "writer" or looked at the possibility seriously. It was just something that I did for pleasure. But this makes sense to do what you love. Oprah was right .
#4 of 4 Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 PM
pia

I haven´t published a book myself, but would maybe like to one day. I did some research some time ago and found this:
http://www.lulu.com/about/whatislulu.php
Maybe this could help you get a few copies printed!

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page